Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 21, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,291 of 3,880
Yeah, while it might not be the end game amp for me, it still sounds great :)

The Xduoo TA-20 with the HE6SE V2 plays "normally" at about 70-75 on the volume dial for normal listening, and at 80-85 when rocking out, with the maximum on the dial at 95, so I am close to the limits of the TA-20 - but I really can't turn it up more than 85 as it's simply too loud! The bass response has solid slam with the Xduoo TA-20, there's no question in my mind that the TA-20 is "enough" for me right now, and it sounds so great I really don't feel motivated to upgrade the amp.

I'm having more fun rolling tubes, the Ananda and the HE6SE V2 are very revealing as to the differences between tubes I am comparing.

I did buy a Hifiman HE-Adapter to hook up a Tube AMP - and I may get an Emotiva A-100 and do the headphone port jumpers mod to get the full output through the headphone port. That will definitely be too much power!

Maybe next month. For now I'm enjoying listening to the HE6SE V2 and Ananda on the Xduoo TA-20 <= XLR => D90 MQA in DAC mode. :)

BTW, the Ananda runs about 20-30 less on the Xduoo TA-20 Volume dial for the same listening levels as the HE6SE V2.

What are you driving your HE6SE with?

Hi hmscott,

I followed your posts from the Xduoo TA-20 thread on the other forum, and now I'm here, and just ordered a HE6SE V2 haha. It's your fault! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But truly, thanks for posting the link for 649 at Adorama, hell of a deal. All my favorite headphones so far have been hifiman, so excited to get them.

I wanted to ask you about your experience powering them, did you ever have a chance to try them on the Topping a90 yet? What are your thoughts on that power delivery vs the XDuoo TA-20?

Thanks again for all your thoughts, excited to compare notes.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,292 of 3,880
Hi hmscott,

I followed your posts from the Xduoo TA-20 thread on the other forum, and now I'm here, and just ordered a HE6SE V2 haha. It's your fault! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But truly, thanks for posting the link for 649 at Adorama, hell of a deal. All my favorite headphones so far have been hifiman, so excited to get them.

I wanted to ask you about your experience powering them, did you ever have a chance to try them on the Topping a90 yet? What are your thoughts on that power delivery vs the XDuoo TA-20?

Thanks again for all your thoughts, excited to compare notes.
Cool!, If you enjoy them as much as me, I am very happy for you :)

I really enjoy the TA-20 tube sound very much... but the A90 has more power for both the Ananda and the HE6SE, so no worries there.

The difference will be personal taste, there is nothing wrong with the A90 SS sound, at all. Coupled with the D90 MQA, both have been an amazing combination.

If I never bought the TA-20 I would still be happily listening to the listening bliss brought by the A90 / D90 MQA in combination.

The TA-20 is within the rated entry level range for the HE6SE (V1?), and I believe - though I don't know for sure because I haven't heard the previous incarnations of the HE6 - that the V2 is a bit more sensitive. The reason I believe this is that I am completely satisfied with the HE6SE + TA-20 2W!

I am currently listening to the TA-20 with a matched pair of Telefunken Black Diamond ECC82 / 12AU7 re-issue new tubes, and they sound great with the HE6SE V2 and the Ananda which I am listening to right now. I thought the gain of the 12AU7 tubes wasn't supposed to affect the output much, but these Telefunken's don't need as much volume set as the previous Tung-Sol 6198 pair but you can't beat the price of $19.99 / pair! Both Tung-Sol JAN 12AU7 pair are stronger than either...at 60 on the Xduoo TA-20 volume on the Ananda's is almost too loud :)

I look forward to comparing listening notes :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,293 of 3,880
Sorry for interrupting the discussion. If for the power delivery and dynamics, people can try to find a 2nd-hand audio-gd amp like C-2(single-end), nfb-1amp(balanced), master 19 or even master 9 in head-fi forum. Of course, if they have an audio-gd DAC or Krell audio DAC that can output ACSS or CAST analog signal to such amps, it will be much better.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,294 of 3,880
The He6ses do not like tube amps from my experience. They like nice powerful SS amps. So far I have found them paired best with the Schiit Vidar.
I'm sure this is true but just wanted to mention the HE6se V2 are playing nicely with the monolith liquid platinum which I guess would be considered a hybrid tube/ss amp.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #1,295 of 3,880
I'm sure this is true but just wanted to mention the HE6se V2 are playing nicely with the monolith liquid platinum which I guess would be considered a hybrid tube/ss amp.
I should have the HE6se v 2 Friday so no real experience, yet. I do, however have the susvara and it is another very similar hard to drive HM offering.

Yes, the LP did work for the susvara and sounded nice but moving up to a ampandsound Bigger Ben made the susvara sound a lot better. I didn't have the volume maxed out on the LP using XLR but it was pretty close.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,297 of 3,880
Alright, last sprint for me before I give up on the He6se. What's a good used non-headphone amp I should look out for I can find used for < $500. I have the BasX from Emotiva and use it through speaker taps but it doesn't sound as good as just using the A90. I am currently only aware of the Adcom 545 I usually see on craigslist for around $200 but not sure if that's the one I should aim for.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,298 of 3,880
I should have the HE6se v 2 Friday so no real experience, yet. I do, however have the susvara and it is another very similar hard to drive HM offering.

Yes, the LP did work for the susvara and sounded nice but moving up to a ampandsound Bigger Ben made the susvara sound a lot better. I didn't have the volume maxed out on the LP using XLR but it was pretty close.
At $5k vs $700 it should be a lot better. That's out of the range of what I'm willing to spend. I'm looking at best bang for the buck and I think I found it with a used Liquid Platinum for $400.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,299 of 3,880
At $5k vs $700 it should be a lot better. That's out of the range of what I'm willing to spend. I'm looking at best bang for the buck and I think I found it with a used Liquid Platinum for $400.
My point wasn't that the susvara was 'a lot better' I won't know that until I get the HE6se Friday :confused:

My point was, yes the LP works paired with the HE6 and sounds good, but may not show you all of the potential with the LP's power. Both of these hp are hard to drive to their full potential, that's all.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,300 of 3,880
My point wasn't that the susvara was 'a lot better' I won't know that until I get the HE6se Friday :confused:

My point was, yes the LP works paired with the HE6 and sounds good, but may not show you all of the potential with the LP's power. Both of these hp are hard to drive to their full potential, that's all.

I agree. I understood what you were saying. In my response I meant the amp, the $5k ampandsound Bigger Ben, should make the HE6se sound better than the $700 Liquid Platinum. I think the confusion was because the liquid platinum and HE6se both cost $700, although the HE6se is now down to $650.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,301 of 3,880
Bigger Ben is nut. What a great amp.

Buddy of mine is also running his he6se v2 off a 40w stereo tube amp and mogwai se, and the current belief is that the he6se loves large transformers and scales accordingly.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,302 of 3,880
I agree. I understood what you were saying. In my response I meant the amp, the $5k ampandsound Bigger Ben, should make the HE6se sound better than the $700 Liquid Platinum. I think the confusion was because the liquid platinum and HE6se both cost $700, although the HE6se is now down to $650.
Sorry, I thought you were comparing the susvara to the HE6se :yum:

Believe me, I am NOT trashing the LP. It has served me well for close to 2 years paired with Ether 2, Empy and ZMF VO. I paid full retail of $800 back then and it was, and still IS one of the best bargains in audio! It was just a bit lacking in power for the susvara.

Feb 22, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #1,303 of 3,880
Alright, last sprint for me before I give up on the He6se. What's a good used non-headphone amp I should look out for I can find used for < $500. I have the BasX from Emotiva and use it through speaker taps but it doesn't sound as good as just using the A90. I am currently only aware of the Adcom 545 I usually see on craigslist for around $200 but not sure if that's the one I should aim for.

You probably read some successful reports (one by me) in this thread that endorsed Adcom 545. I just want to emphasise that you might need a preamp such as Schiit Saga or other tube headamp that has pre out. Of course it also depends on your dac so ymmv.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #1,304 of 3,880
You probably read some successful reports (one by me) in this thread that endorsed Adcom 545. I just want to emphasise that you might need a preamp such as Schiit Saga or other tube headamp that has pre out. Of course it also depends on your dac so ymmv.
You could use the LP as a tube (hybrid) pre and perhaps add the Adcom 545. The one I saw on E-Bay was a 'parts' unit, sorry.............

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #1,305 of 3,880
You could use the LP as a tube (hybrid) pre and perhaps add the Adcom 545. The one I saw on E-Bay was a 'parts' unit, sorry.............
Yes, LP as pre should be great (although it might be an overkill imho). I almost pulled the trigger when it was on sale for $600 last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back