Hifiman HE6-SE
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,036 of 3,876
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,037 of 3,876
Sorry, this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T87DYFB/

It's the same dimensions, thickness, etc as the Brainwavz one.
Damn those look very angled and thick, and I thought ZMF Ori was thick. This is probably due to the classic headband on the OG 6-screw HE6 I'm using (although I have no comparison basis to the SE or SEV2). That opening looks similar to Ori, and I didn't like what Ori did to the imaging.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #1,038 of 3,876
Damn those look very angled and thick, and I thought ZMF Ori was thick. This is probably due to the classic headband on the OG 6-screw HE6 I'm using (although I have no comparison basis to the SE or SEV2). That opening looks similar to Ori, and I didn't like what Ori did to the imaging.

No they are very thick!

The stock pad is 25mm thick at the tall end, and this one is 40mm thick!

Also these thicker pads make driver crinkle when you put it on.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #1,039 of 3,876
More measurements for digestions -- same caveats as last time:

1610075025872.png

Blue is normal HE6SE v2 configuration. Red is grill removed. Orange is grills installed + thicker angled sheepskin leather pads.

I also used the eBay metal honeycomb grill today and it measures exactly the same (pretty much) as the red line with no grill.
Thanks for the measurements! How do the thicker angled earpads affect soundstage or imaging?

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,040 of 3,876
Looking at the measurements posted by Antdroid few posts ago, it looks like V2 is not recessed like OG SE. I'd like to see more measurement comparing the two versions. Velpads should bring up the bass.

Velpad is velour and not the stiff kind of velour either so it is almost a given the bass quality was going to go down. The clamping on the HE6se is also not too hard compared to the HE-500, that might contribute even more to the bass quality.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #1,041 of 3,876
I have to say I remain very happy with the 6SEv2's. They have such great bass. There was originally some congestion in the mids that was solved when I took off the grills. Now they sound perfect! They are a terrific buy if you can get them for $699! They have cut down on my time on my HEKSE which is saying something! I think my 2 Hifiman phones I'm going to keep will be the HE6SEv2 and the HEKSE!

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #1,042 of 3,876
Thanks for the measurements! How do the thicker angled earpads affect soundstage or imaging?

I didn't do a big analysis of those two things. I'd say it sounded about the same but with smoother treble. The driver crinkle sound bothered me a bit so I dont think I plan on using these pads anymore.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,044 of 3,876
@antdroid

How is the comfort of the v2 with regards to clamp force and adjustability of the headband? In general, I've found the new headband style to fit too loosely on my head with regards to clamp and not enough adjustment for smaller heads (I had this issue with the 5xx, which contains a similar headband without comfort strap) . Thanks!

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,046 of 3,876
ng your He6sev2 with the A90 makes me feel like I'm the crazy one. Tried it again after a week break of it and it still hurts my ears. Was considering an adcom 545 but not sure if $250 is a decent price for it. Is there a better choice for reasonable price?
The A90 is a great preamp for a speaker power amp.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,047 of 3,876
More measurements for digestions -- same caveats as last time:

1610075025872.png

Blue is normal HE6SE v2 configuration. Red is grill removed. Orange is grills installed + thicker angled sheepskin leather pads.

I also used the eBay metal honeycomb grill today and it measures exactly the same (pretty much) as the red line with no grill.
I think that is the best HE6 measurement I have ever seen

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,048 of 3,876
@antdroid

How is the comfort of the v2 with regards to clamp force and adjustability of the headband? In general, I've found the new headband style to fit too loosely on my head with regards to clamp and not enough adjustment for smaller heads (I had this issue with the 5xx, which contains a similar headband without comfort strap) . Thanks!

Its comfortable. Coming from the Arya, and previously HE560 2.5mm/wood with that suspension headband on both, it's not as clampy as those for sure. It's much more loose fitting but I'm able to get a good seal. I normally wore the Arya/HE560 on the lowest or first hole as I also have a small head. With the HE6se v2, I'm on the third dot -- I have two dots visible anyway.

I think that is the best HE6 measurement I have ever seen

Which one? :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #1,050 of 3,876
Well, it's better than my Mjolnir 1 (unacceptable noise floor and no gain setting) and Bryston BP-20 (waaayyy too much juice, high noise floor) for this particular application.

The A90 into my 3B ST is very low noise with a useable volume control, and sounds better than the A90 on its own for all my balanced headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back