Hifiman HE6-SE
Jan 2, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #991 of 3,880
After finally spending some more time with my He6se, basX, and A90 I can conclude I am pretty disappointed in the He6se with both amps. I have done tests with my siblings and cousins, all with no prior experience with high end audio gear and a pretty strong consensus, the he6se hurts their ears but the instruments are very clear. When used with the BasX the consensus was it was better that it didn't hurt their ear but they ALL thought the HD660S was the more expensive headphone and sounded the best. I'll admit that the HD660s has the soundstage that I wish the Hifiman had, the vocalist wasn't in your head but at a good enough distance where the clarity was still extremely good, and best of all the treble wasn't uncomfortable. With the hifimans I can enjoy the details the HD660s can't offer but only for a couple of songs before my ears need a rest. After nearly a month with both headphones I have to say I too prefer the HD660s quite a lot more.

My only conclusion on the possibly to why the Hifimans aren't as impressive to me is likely due to the amps I am using the A90, and the BasX. Just like another user who has both amps mentioned they both weren't impressive with the He6se, I too have to agree. I feel pretty desperate to give the He6se a better chance with a different amp like the jotunheim but I fear the I may go too far down the rabbit hole and my wallet isn't going to have any of it. So just my amateur 2c on the He6sev2, avoid the topping A90 and BasX amps.

You could try it on the V281. It sounds great with it.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #992 of 3,880
I'm in. The HE-500s are my absolute favorites to date and I'm not enthused about trying a zillion pads to try to get bigger bass and less treble from my DT-1990s. Worth a shot to see how these V2s shake out.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #995 of 3,880
Power is indeed critical. I have a THX 789 and A-100 so it shouldn't be an issue, and hasn't been thus far with the HE-500s.
Idk I’ve heard the he-500 off of both and it was very underwhelming. Bass was just very lean and rolled off on both. No slam. The THX was the better one of the two, however.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #996 of 3,880
Idk I’ve heard the he-500 off of both and it was very underwhelming. Bass was just very lean and rolled off on both. No slam. The THX was the better one of the two, however.

I use them balanced on the 789 (highest gain, usually between 9 an 11:00 volume) and personally feel nothing is lacking that should be there within the natural voicing of the headphones. My Elegias and DT1990s perhaps have more immediacy but they're also voiced leaner and have dynamic drivers, so they'd sound strange without it IMO. From what I understand about the 500s they're meant to be a bit warmer and rounder, and even with that I am fully pleased when listening to harder-hitting music (Celldweller, Mick Gordon, N.E.R.D., hard rock, etc.).

My home speakers are Revel towers pushed by Outlaw amplification with in-room performance that measures similar to Harman's in-room curve, so that's how my ear leans. I'm looking forward to seeing if the HE6 can provide cleaner extension like the Elegias but similar depth and mids to the HE-500 even if not as full-bodied.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #997 of 3,880
Just wanted to drop in to say hello! Looking forward to checking these out. I have a pair from Adorama on the way. I have one amp that will push 4 watts into 50 ohms, and one amp that I believe is closer to 5 watts into 50 ohms, then if I really want to get crazy I can think about using my Vidar as well with a proper https://ampsandsound.com/products/black-box-headphone-adapter from Justin. I also have the AmpsAndSound Nautilus in for review that I imagine will make these headphones sing. Looking forward to sharing my impressions and maybe a proper review on my YouTube if I decide to keep them!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #999 of 3,880
The V2s arrived, and after listening to the Elegias all day I threw them on. Signal chain is Spotify Premium, HQ downloads --> V30 Quad Dac --> THX 789 balanced output (highest gain, 2:00 volume).
  • Lamest cable ever.
  • Detail is immediately better than the Elegia, which is no slouch, while the overall sound has a touch more cohesion as well. Very impressive, especially the microdetail - for example, previously-unheard reverb in the Piña Colada song.
  • Effortless mids and treble, but even with the 789 cranked the bass still feels a tad restrained. Maybe I'm just used to the relative (key word) wool of the HE-500 and pop of the Elegia and DT-1990. Will play with EQ another time.
  • Headphone is quite blue.
Much more listening to do, but the detail is truly... just something else, a fantastic complement to the HE-500. Maybe I need to give the Sundara another listen as well (was not impressed the first time around).

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,000 of 3,880
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but like most recent people here, I'm also considering the Adorama version of these. The question is, how is everyone's opinion on these as either an upgrade or a sidegrade to the HFM Ananda? I have the Ananda's already and can't help but notice that the HE6 is the same exact price I paid for the Ananda. I'm using a Schiit Lyr 3 Multibit as the amp/dac so power shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,001 of 3,880
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but like most recent people here, I'm also considering the Adorama version of these. The question is, how is everyone's opinion on these as either an upgrade or a sidegrade to the HFM Ananda? I have the Ananda's already and can't help but notice that the HE6 is the same exact price I paid for the Ananda. I'm using a Schiit Lyr 3 Multibit as the amp/dac so power shouldn't be an issue.
I had a Schiit Mjolnir (5W balanced into 50 ohms) and now use a 125W@8 ohms Bryston amp. Even an old-ass $50 stereo power amp I bought off eBay was considerably better than the Mjolnir as far as power is concerned. The HE-6SE is a steely headphone without it.

Going from the effortlessly powerable Ananda to the HE-6SE isn't a wise choice given the amp. But that's my experience.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,002 of 3,880
I had a Schiit Mjolnir (5W balanced into 50 ohms) and now use a 125W@8 ohms Bryston amp. Even an old-ass $50 stereo power amp I bought off eBay was considerably better than the Mjolnir as far as power is concerned. The HE-6SE is a steely headphone without it.

Going from the effortlessly powerable Ananda to the HE-6SE isn't a wise choice given the amp. But that's my experience.

Which amp is the Bryston if you don't mind me asking?

I am in the market for speaker amp for this headphone but speaker stuff are all foreign to me. I can't tell which brands offer good value and craftmanship. Bryston and Nad are the only ones I know but that's just because they are Canadian.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,003 of 3,880
Which amp is the Bryston if you don't mind me asking?

I am in the market for speaker amp for this headphone but speaker stuff are all foreign to me. I can't tell which brands offer good value and craftmanship. Bryston and Nad are the only ones I know but that's just because they are Canadian.

Adcome 545 II makes a great pairing IMO. Find a used one for cheap, check bias - simple to do, and then enjoy the great synergy.

Simpler method is to buy yourself a FA-10. much higher cost than an old amp, but plug it in and it just works and has plenty of power!

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,004 of 3,880
Adcome 545 II makes a great pairing IMO. Find a used one for cheap, check bias - simple to do, and then enjoy the great synergy.

Simpler method is to buy yourself a FA-10. much higher cost than an old amp, but plug it in and it just works and has plenty of power!

I will see if the adcome turns up in the used market.

I don't mind experimenting so I will see if I can get one just to test.

I have been looking at the FA-10 actually. It is on my short list of headphone amps to try.

Thank you

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,005 of 3,880

What preamp were you running the 545 out of, and which do you prefer from the two different setups?

The problem with 545 is lack of preamp and for me, no balanced input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back