Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 15, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #362 of 3,880
Which pads are on the HE-6 SE?
Can you buy them? I want to try it on my HE-6.

These are the pads you are looking for, it come with HE6se/HE5se , though for me i prefer the old FocusPad

btw I did order Dekoni Premium Elite Velour & Elite Hybrid pads which i am expecting next few days

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #363 of 3,880
Thanks for responding. Please let us know if your new balanced cable is better when you receive it. I think you mentioned you ordered it from thomann.de.
Sure will do , it is the Beyerdynamic T1.2 cable
First shipment was lost , so they sent me a new one , thats why it took so long

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #364 of 3,880
Adorama's stock is down to 162 from 348 when the deal started 9 days ago. I guess there will be no further price reduction.

I may currently have questions about sopranos - but even if those issues remain, it's pretty clear that these are better than my other cans. If you have the juice to run them, get one!

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #365 of 3,880
@bagwell359, are you driving these from Ragnarok 1 balanced? You posted so many impressions but I couldn't find how you drive them.

https://headfonics.com/2019/06/hifiman-he6se-review/2/

Compares the HE-6 4 screw and HE6SE - including switching pads:

"the 4-screw HE6 which has a 2-3k bump and a 4k dip" vs "the HE6SE dip is fairly short-lived with much more of an upper mids to lower treble elevation from 3-5k"

the original HE6 has more sub-bass elevation or power

The HE6 tone is also a touch cooler with more odd-harmonic presence and a harder edge to its instrumental timbre. The older build is perceptibly punchier but is also a little more fatiguing in its stock format due to that leaner timbre and stronger upper treble.You could argue the newer HE6SE is marginally the more forgiving of the two

I agree with all that.

Also there being too much output in the high mids/low treble there really isn't much going on back stage, it's pushed forward.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #367 of 3,880
@bagwell359, are you driving these from Ragnarok 1 balanced? You posted so many impressions but I couldn't find how you drive them.

Oops, my only amp is a Rag 1. When SilverEars gets them for review he has Bryston BHA-1 to drive his he-6 and my he6se

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #369 of 3,880
Balanced or single-ended?

Balanced only, SE is a waste on the Rag 1

Add:

Ragnarok Balanced Headphones: watts 15 @ 32 ohms, input impedance 0.1 ohms

Ragnarok Single Ed Headphones: watts 03 @ 32 ohms, input impedance 3.3 ohms

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #370 of 3,880
Balanced only, SE is a waste on the Rag 1
Thanks. I think the same. But people differ. I've seen someone prefer SE for no particular reason. The reason I was asking is that the Rag 1 has an unusually high output impedance on its SE headphone output (3.2 Ohms or so I think). I wanted to hear that you were not using that for low impedance planar magnetics.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #371 of 3,880
Thanks. I think the same. But people differ. I've seen someone prefer SE for no particular reason. The reason I was asking is that the Rag 1 has an unusually high output impedance on its SE headphone output (3.2 Ohms or so I think). I wanted to hear that you were not using that for low impedance planar magnetics.

hhahaaa...I just added the specs for the Rag 1 above...

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #372 of 3,880
Anyone interested in elucidating the differences between the HE-6 & HE6SE ?

Cable: different, I'd wager the HE-6 in its time used a more expensive cable; HE6SE allows 3.5mm connections not the awful screw ons. Audible differences likely

headband different: clamping force harder on HE6SE, pads could also lie differently on the head per dimensions of headband. Hard to prove/test but could be audible.

Pads: different shape, material, fill, also SE came glued on; Clearly audibly different

Body: different material, different resonances. At least subtle audible differences.

Damping: The HE-6 came with 1/4 round damping, SE not; medium->big audible differences

Safety bar not present on HE6SE; probably small resonant issues

inner facing magnets cut differently, more glue used on HE6SE; they block the direct output of the membrane and I doubt its audibly invisible.

Magnets same strength?

Membrane same thickness?

HE6SE a bit lighter and more comfortable.

While the connections between these phones is higher then either is to its closet brother product (HE-500) HFM has made - but they are not sonic dupes of each other, not at all.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #373 of 3,880
I received my second pair with the 699$ promo and this time it doesn't come with the speaker box but it come with the extra pads ,
oh man these withe the grill layer sound so closed without any depth , i dont know why Hifiman doesn't have other grill options.

A3FhYfU.jpg

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #374 of 3,880
I received my second pair with the 699$ promo and this time it doesn't come with the speaker box but it come with the extra pads ,
oh man these withe the grill layer sound so closed without any depth , i dont know why Hifiman doesn't have other grill options.

A3FhYfU.jpg

Yes that is a mystery.

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #375 of 3,880

A3FhYfU.jpg
Would be nice if they there in a second set of an open type grill instead of the pads. My guess is that they don't want to deal with warranty related issues due to stuff getting inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back