Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,586 of 3,880
you don't hear the drivers moving because of the vacuum generated by the DCA angle pads? I don't use them because I'm afraid the drivers are stuck to the magnets.
I have the "v1", but did try the Ether Angled for a few hours on the v2. I have never experienced once this "vacuum" effect, and I seat them on my head to get the most closure possible. I have never read once of anyone talking about this on the OG HE-6 or 500. OTOH the LCD-2 w/ fazor vacuum seal was so intense, along with the rocky FR sans EQ, they were back to the seller inside of 72 hours.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #3,588 of 3,880
Hifiman HE6se. Greatest value headphone in this world.

If amped properly.
Even if you can just get "close" to the proper amping, its still better than many headphones out there...imho

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #3,590 of 3,880
Purchased a pair of OG velour pads because I wanted the mounting rings and, to my surprise, they don't sound horrible on the HE6SE v1.

First things first, these things are cock-stiff when you first get them. This combined with the thunder thigh clamp of the V1's headband and I got a headache after like 30 minutes. So I took them off and started making my way around compressing down the foam with my fingers to break it in. It actually worked! A lot softer now.

Some impressions vs stock pads:

They're definitely way brighter than stock pads, and not for the treble faint of heart. Fortunately though, the rise in treble is focused more towards upper treble, so the nasty 4k peak doesn't get boosted. All the while filling in 2k to 3k. Nice.​

Not so nice is that they start to roll off 50hz and down, but they sorta make up for it by boosting midbass, which gives it some extra tactility and adds some needed warmth. This tactility also carries on from the bass onto the rest of the spectrum? With these pads things like guitar plucks come through with more weight than they do with stock pads. This is something I miss dearly form the old HE line, and these pads bring some of it back.​
This is running them off a Jot 2. The results were a warm/bright headphone.​

I then tried them with an Emotiva A-100, which is warmer/fuller sounding than the Jot 2. It brought down a lot of the added brightness form the pads and gave the bass even more thump. Everything I said about tactility got turned up a notch or two, and it got waaay easier to listen to without all the harshness.​

The end result is reminiscent of an HE-500. Which is nice considering the HE-500 is probably my favorite headphone. No, it still won't have the note weight and sheer grunt of the old models, but this is the closest I've gotten to it thus far.

Tl:dr, HE6SE + velour + warm amp = copium HE-500?

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #3,591 of 3,880
Purchased a pair of OG velour pads because I wanted the mounting rings and, to my surprise, they don't sound horrible on the HE6SE v1.

First things first, these things are cock-stiff when you first get them. This combined with the thunder thigh clamp of the V1's headband and I got a headache after like 30 minutes. So I took them off and started making my way around compressing down the foam with my fingers to break it in. It actually worked! A lot softer now.

Some impressions vs stock pads:

They're definitely way brighter than stock pads, and not for the treble faint of heart. Fortunately though, the rise in treble is focused more towards upper treble, so the nasty 4k peak doesn't get boosted. All the while filling in 2k to 3k. Nice.​

Not so nice is that they start to roll off 50hz and down, but they sorta make up for it by boosting midbass, which gives it some extra tactility and adds some needed warmth. This tactility also carries on from the bass onto the rest of the spectrum? With these pads things like guitar plucks come through with more weight than they do with stock pads. This is something I miss dearly form the old HE line, and these pads bring some of it back.​
This is running them off a Jot 2. The results were a warm/bright headphone.​

I then tried them with an Emotiva A-100, which is warmer/fuller sounding than the Jot 2. It brought down a lot of the added brightness form the pads and gave the bass even more thump. Everything I said about tactility got turned up a notch or two, and it got waaay easier to listen to without all the harshness.​

The end result is reminiscent of an HE-500. Which is nice considering the HE-500 is probably my favorite headphone. No, it still won't have the note weight and sheer grunt of the old models, but this is the closest I've gotten to it thus far.

Tl:dr, HE6SE + velour + warm amp = copium HE-500?
Interesting impressions. The velours are my favorite pad on my v2 but I don't find them overly bright on any amp (although, I'm not treble sensitive, just look at my Beyer collection, lol). As for bass, are you getting a good seal? The bass behavior you describe is almost like air gap driver resonance. Of the dozens of pads I've tried on HE6se v2 none have messed with the extension very much, maybe a db or two at the most as long as the seal was good. I always thought the v1 and v2 were similar, but maybe that could explain the difference you are hearing.

Also, while the HE6se v2 with velours has some similarities to the HE-500, the 500 is distinct as it has way less 4-8khz energy (the center of the dip shifts depending on the pad, but it's always there), giving it a much warmer sound regardless of the pad to my ears. I've yet to find a pad that cuts that region for the HE6se. Granted, it could be the pads you are running on your 500, I haven't done nearly as much pad rolling on my 500 as my 6se. My 500 has the FocusPad-A at the moment.

HE6se v2 Round Velour (purple) vs HE-500 FocsuPad-A (red)
HE6se-v2-Round-Velour-vs-HE-500-FocusPad-A.jpg

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #3,592 of 3,880
Interesting impressions. The velours are my favorite pad on my v2 but I don't find them overly bright on any amp (although, I'm not treble sensitive, just look at my Beyer collection, lol). As for bass, are you getting a good seal? The bass behavior you describe is almost like air gap driver resonance. Of the dozens of pads I've tried on HE6se v2 none have messed with the extension very much, maybe a db or two at the most as long as the seal was good. I always thought the v1 and v2 were similar, but maybe that could explain the difference you are hearing.

Also, while the HE6se v2 with velours has some similarities to the HE-500, the 500 is distinct as it has way less 4-8khz energy (the center of the dip shifts depending on the pad, but it's always there), giving it a much warmer sound regardless of the pad to my ears. I've yet to find a pad that cuts that region for the HE6se. Granted, it could be the pads you are running on your 500, I haven't done nearly as much pad rolling on my 500 as my 6se. My 500 has the FocusPad-A at the moment.
Yup the velours are not sealing completely on the V1 for me. At least not as well as the stock pads. I think the combination of non angled pads and no swivel on the V1 is to blame. I had a suspicion that was the cause of the bass changes I was hearing, and honestly I'm kinda glad it worked out that way. I was actually looking for ways to intentionally break the seal with stock pads, so that I could get that resonance to shoot up.

I tried leaving one or two of the pad clips out, and the bass boosted pretty damn good with stock pads. But it just felt weird wearing them like that so I went back.

Yeah, the HE500 still sounds more muted than 6SE with velours. The 6SE with velours sounds cleaner overall.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #3,593 of 3,880
Hey He6Se enthusiasts. I have the v2, and am wondering about a closed back equivalent. Please don't say "nothing compares to the beauty of the he6se v2." That's silly. Anyone have a closed back that they enjoy and is easy to drive? I'd like to have a set at the office with my incoming Hiby R8 or Dx 320. Had my eyes on the Sonorous VI as I like that it's multi driver, but I can't seem to actually find one. Any other recs for a closed set that is bassy, detailed with a wide stage? I've owned DCA Aeon X and Dt 1770 pro. Both were good, but looking for something a bit more detailed.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #3,594 of 3,880
Hey He6Se enthusiasts. I have the v2, and am wondering about a closed back equivalent. Please don't say "nothing compares to the beauty of the he6se v2." That's silly. Anyone have a closed back that they enjoy and is easy to drive? I'd like to have a set at the office with my incoming Hiby R8 or Dx 320. Had my eyes on the Sonorous VI as I like that it's multi driver, but I can't seem to actually find one. Any other recs for a closed set that is bassy, detailed with a wide stage? I've owned DCA Aeon X and Dt 1770 pro. Both were good, but looking for something a bit more detailed.
The best closed headphone that I own is the Audeze LCD-XC. However, it does not equal my HE6se V2. I do love Audeze LCD-XC sound when a closed headphone must be used.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #3,595 of 3,880
The best closed headphone that I own is the Audeze LCD-XC. However, it does not equal my HE6se V2. I do love Audeze LCD-XC sound when a closed headphone must be used.
I just messaged someone on classifieds about that very headphone. Interesting that it isn't equivalent given that it is twice the cost.

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3,597 of 3,880
How many hours of burn in are needed for the headphones to melt completely?
I've burned them fro 120 hours (hifiman supports say 100 hours at least) +- after 30 hours they have alreade changed dramatically as before it was hard to listen to em...
BTW as for me they still have a bit harassing highs not sure it will change any more... Ananda seems even a bit more softer for highs or maybe overall pressure of the sound makes this feeling.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #3,599 of 3,880
Nope, it's pretty tight, I believe HE400i V1/HE560 V1 for which headband is designed have the same size openings.
Thanks much. Now need to order it somehow... As for my country only Aliexpress shop can ship and even more seems they are out of stock.
And my own stock headband not only uncomfortable with this weight of headphones but it CREAKS crazy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back