1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hifiman HE6-SE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ufospls2, Aug 10, 2018.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. SilverEars
    How do you guys handle the volume control with these amps?

2. TheGadaffiDuck
    I use an in line control called the Emotiva control freak, but because that theyve been discontinued, you wont be able to find THAT one. Id say use something similar or get an active preamp, which your BHA1 has XLR Outs so you can use it as an active preamplifier for the Power Amp. The 2BLP i have does not have a power switch, so if you get one with no power button, then you would have to buy a wall outlet adapter that has a switch on it as your power switch

3. fortunate son
  4. SilverEars
    That top one is rediculous priced! Why shouldn't I just hook up a much cheaper active pre-amp?

Does it make sense to get a balanced pre-amp to make the whole chain balanced from my Gumby DAC? The speaker output has the same pins as balanced right? Separate grounds for left and right.

If my power amp has balanced in, should I just go balanced from Gumby? Or single-ended just fine? I find balanced DAC output only increases the signal in loudness on the balanced ouput, which doesn't seem necessary for HE6 out of a high wattage power amp.

Also, I find much more reasonable priced passive xlr pre-amp on Ebay. Would they suffice? Why should I pay $600 for one above linked?

I have a Schiit Sys currently.

What about active pre-amps? Would active degrade the signal slightly?

I think the above are stepped attenuators.

I like to get opinions from you all.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. TheGadaffiDuck
    Use your BHA1 as a preamp

6. SilverEars
    The two XLR outputs in the back labeled, 'Output Balanced,' is that going through the amp stage or only for signal from the DAC being controlled in volume? Or is it the same as front XLR outputs (which is amped output)? I'm wondering if the XLR outputs in the back are pass-through with volume control.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. SilverEars
  8. Oregonian
    Couple of questions from a former HE-6 owner............

1. Anyone done the open grill mod?
    2. Anyone try Vegan pads on these?
    3. Any other "standard" mods that applied to the HE-6/HE-400 that you've done?

9. neogeosnk
    I did the grill mod and put mrspeaker pads on em. Sounds betterish for me, but still a bit bright.I did the grill mod and put mrspeaker pads on em. Sounds betterish for me, but still a bit bright.

Oregonian likes this.
  10. ufospls2
    sennfan83261 and protoss like this.
  11. Edwood
    I still have my OG HE-6. I don't miss the old headband style at all.

12. bagwell359
    I've got a lot of experience with the HE-500 which is the closest sibling to the HE-6. I suggest you look into the "fuzzor" mod - which has been described here in HF in a lot of detail from a number of people. It basically cuts down amusical reflections. The effect is a quieter background, more space around instruments, more definition, more overtones, yet less fatiguing. It's the single biggest mod I've done to my 500's.

You could also try a copper cable, if you've got a SPC, it emphasizes the highs and the ssshhh of cymbals - which are very pronounced already.

13. bagwell359
    I read (sorry forgot where) a review of the new 6 that said the bass wasn't strong. Anybody that compared new and old 6 have any opinion on that?

14. bluesaint
    Just got my HE6SE loaner tour from HFM.
    Heres some pix of it vs. My shangri-la jr and 009.

20190328_211802.jpg 20190328_212029.jpg 20190328_211349.jpg

TeamHiFiMAN and kid vic like this.
  15. Oregonian
    Sorry I missed the loaner tour notice - is there a way to get on the list at this point? I'd love to try them, having been a former HE-6 owner (twice) and lover of their incredible bass fed out of speaker taps.

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last