= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,546 of 1,710
Also, EDM is one genre best enjoyed through speakers. Either get proper towers or bookshelves with sub. It's good on headphones but still not the full feeling. The closest I have gotten with is on Denon's. Whether it's Audeze or Hifiman, it holds true, no grill or pad mods going to fix that.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,547 of 1,710
  Also, EDM is one genre best enjoyed through speakers. Either get proper towers or bookshelves with sub. It's good on headphones but still not the full feeling. The closest I have gotten with is on Denon's. Whether it's Audeze or Hifiman, it holds true, no grill or pad mods going to fix that.

Electronic dance music; they are produced to provoke dancing, and that means club reverbs and chest-thumping bass is their playground, with everything else secondary.

Then again some of us treat EDM like any other music, in which case the above doesn't apply.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,548 of 1,710
I gotta say, when "under the influence", speakers really cannot compete with a headphone's ability to immerse you into the music and get smacked in the head with BASS

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,549 of 1,710
Jerg, Ryan really did think of something amazing...adding those foam wedges (similar to that "cotton mod") really helps to angle the pads even more and adding even more space between your ear and the driver.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #1,550 of 1,710
  Electronic dance music; they are produced to provoke dancing, and that means club reverbs and chest-thumping bass is their playground, with everything else secondary.

Then again some of us treat EDM like any other music, in which case the above doesn't apply.

LOL I would agree with you if you were taking a tool like Martin Garrix as a reference.

Even within the mainstage EDM stuff, there are many quality artists who make music that's very musical and definitely not about bass and reverbs. Just look at anything from Paul Van Dyk, Above & Beyond (Oceanlab, Anjunabeats, Group Therapy), Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise series, Kaskade, Antoine Clamaran etc. These guys have been doing decent stuff for over 10 years and are still doing mainstage EDM stuff like Ultra, EDX, TomorrowLand, Cream, Gatecrasher, Ibiza (Space, Pacha).

Now when they are doing sets at festivals with multiple artists, they usually mix it up and add in whatever's hot just so they can attract more audience. Although for studio release, compilation or even exclusive events like ASOT, TATW, Group Therapy, Vonyc Sessions, the flow is a bit different and anything but just about bass and reverbs.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,551 of 1,710
  Jerg, Ryan really did think of something amazing...adding those foam wedges (similar to that "cotton mod") really helps to angle the pads even more and adding even more space between your ear and the driver.

Still in 'experimental phase' right now and I haven't had an opportunity to sit down to listen with them in yet, but Nima seems to be liking it so far.  I should have time this weekend to give it some thorough listening, but it's fairly inexpensive to perform (much like using cotton, and I have to thank DoctaCosmos for reminding me of this with his mod) and easily reversible.  I suspect with the foam being a bit less dense it may produce better damping as it is essentially the same foam density that's against the bottom of the pleathers, the results could be better than using something denser like cotton batting or felt.  I originally tried stacking felt and using foam cut-outs back before Round 1 but didn't get too far and never had much listening impressions in then, that was around the time we were trying the foam spacers with the holes that didn't work out too well.  I have limited experience with angling the HE-500 drivers, so we'll see how this goes 
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,552 of 1,710
  Still in 'experimental phase' right now and I haven't had an opportunity to sit down to listen with them in yet, but Nima seems to be liking it so far.  I should have time this weekend to give it some thorough listening, but it's fairly inexpensive to perform (much like using cotton, and I have to thank DoctaCosmos for reminding me of this with his mod) and easily reversible.  I suspect with the foam being a bit less dense it may produce better damping as it is essentially the same foam density that's against the bottom of the pleathers, the results could be better than using something denser like cotton batting or felt.  I originally tried stacking felt and using foam cut-outs back before Round 1 but didn't get too far and never had much listening impressions in then, that was around the time we were trying the foam spacers with the holes that didn't work out too well.  I have limited experience with angling the HE-500 drivers, so we'll see how this goes 
redface.gif

Yeah man, like I said before, I don't see any downside to it, so there is only room for improvement with this mod :)
The only possible downside would be kind of how the foam rings made the pleathers dense, and not perform well in bass (I think that was the case), but I doubt this is the problem, especially since I hear great bass still. Thank you for including your "prototype" in my pair, it's greatly appreciated that I am the first to really hear these with the foam :p

HE-500 discontinued... I wonder how valuable the HE-500 WITH JERGPADS will become later in the next year or two D: They will become increasingly more rare--and a world class hp at this price? Also supported by the community so well in terms of modding and experimentation with the Emotiva and other speaker amps...this will definitely remain a well remembered headphone!

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,554 of 1,710

Yeah man, like I said before, I don't see any downside to it, so there is only room for improvement with this mod :)
The only possible downside would be kind of how the foam rings made the pleathers dense, and not perform well in bass (I think that was the case), but I doubt this is the problem, especially since I hear great bass still. Thank you for including your "prototype" in my pair, it's greatly appreciated that I am the first to really hear these with the foam :p

HE-500 discontinued... I wonder how valuable the HE-500 WITH JERGPADS will become later in the next year or two D: They will become increasingly more rare--and a world class hp at this price? Also supported by the community so well in terms of modding and experimentation with the Emotiva and other speaker amps...this will definitely remain a well remembered headphone!

I am selling mine.  How much you wanna pay? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,555 of 1,710

Only reason they will be discontinued is because something better is on the horizon,price in the used market will likely slowly drop(my opinion,not fact)

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,556 of 1,710
Only reason they will be discontinued is because something better is on the horizon,price in the used market will likely slowly drop(my opinion,not fact)
None of those claims are true....

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,558 of 1,710
I made one Jerpad last night. However when I pulled the vinyl cover of the velour part over the mounting ring it was uneven. Some parts of vinyl covering was hanging loose on the mounting ring while other parts was too tight. Cosmetically it wasn't pretty, hopefully it won't affect the sound.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,560 of 1,710
Is there a downside to the back vent mod for the HE-400?

Yes. If you look at the measurements on the first page, you'll see that the vent adds a significant bass boost at 50Hz but the bass rolls of quickly afterward (AKA no more sub bass extension). Some will say that the vent provides for a much airier sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back