HiFiMan HE4XX
Jan 19, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #316 of 1,381
Got mine yesterday. massdrop shipped it to my friend in US (shipping charge & customs too much to India). luckily no problems so far
does anyone bought a headphone case that we can put this headset..?

I use the OEM HiFiMAN case that I got with my HE-500, since I rarely travel with each other, but it seems to be hard to get them these days. I did find some third-party cases on eBay but I can't vouch for them personally since I've never had a third-party cases for HiFiMAN planars, but you might consider them.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #317 of 1,381
also got to terminate to Balanced last night...for those who are planning to, below is the color/polarity assignment for your reference. (if i remember correctly :wink:)

Orange - Left +
Green - Left -
Red - Right +
Blue - Right -

I forget the pattern but I'd advise using a multi tester to verify to be safe.

I like the new found low bass, and the found tightness in the mid bass - still a bit ripe, but better.

I think these or my Grado are the best dollar for dollar cans I have. One of these days I'll do a balanced for the Grado and some mods and maybe get sad about some of the pricier cans I have.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #319 of 1,381
He400i and he4xx have completely different headbands, so you want to look for an he400 case.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #323 of 1,381
I ordered these pads. A fraction cheaper than the ZMF, mostly because they come with the mounting rings. Size wise they're almost identical, a few mm thicker at the thick end. I'll report back how they are when they arrive.

Got these installed now. Really nice quality, slightly cheaper than the Ori pads and come with the mounting ring.
Mine are fully modded now, pads, re-grilled and draw liner under the pads. I think I might prefer them to my modded HD6XX, more air and more sparkle.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #324 of 1,381
Great write-up! Appreciate the detailed impressions. No way I would of bought these pads on my own, being cheap and not knowing for sure what effect they'd have. I do have a couple questions, if you would be so kind...

I sometimes find the mids on the HE4XX's too recessed. Did you experience this? If so, am I to assume the "0" rating means the mids are more balanced now? Secondly, if simply extending the pads farther away ups the bass response, does it stand to reason that simply moving the pads away less with less material than you originally added would avoid the uncomfortable bass of the non-perforated pads to achieve a sort of "goldilocks zone" of their own? Just wondered if you tried that. I mostly ask because I already ordered those particular pads! Anywho, thx in advance, I really appreciate it!

Honestly with these Ori pads (perfs especially) and mods, I feel like the mids are raised to an even response/presence to match the lows and highs for a very pleasing neutral sound. I agree that stock the mids were definitely more recessed. And yes, 0 is ideal with minus being lacking and plus being excessive. In terms of the foam thickness, sure, thinner equals less bass to compensate, but also lessens the attainable soundstage. The pad/mod config I posted is undoubtedly my sweet spot since the perf Oris are also adding a bit of air which the reduced foam wouldn't achieve. It all depends on what you want though really since the non-perf might be your desired sound, but if you do end up feeling like you want more air and better imaging at least you know the perforated pads are available for that.

I've been listening to these heavily since posting my initial modding notes and have to say what impresses me most about them even more than the initial critical listening with the select test tracks is how well they do with pretty much everything I've thrown at them since. I've definitely found my do-it-all headphone.

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #327 of 1,381
Honestly with these Ori pads (perfs especially) and mods, I feel like the mids are raised to an even response/presence to match the lows and highs for a very pleasing neutral sound. I agree that stock the mids were definitely more recessed. And yes, 0 is ideal with minus being lacking and plus being excessive. In terms of the foam thickness, sure, thinner equals less bass to compensate, but also lessens the attainable soundstage. The pad/mod config I posted is undoubtedly my sweet spot since the perf Oris are also adding a bit of air which the reduced foam wouldn't achieve. It all depends on what you want though really since the non-perf might be your desired sound, but if you do end up feeling like you want more air and better imaging at least you know the perforated pads are available for that.

I've been listening to these heavily since posting my initial modding notes and have to say what impresses me most about them even more than the initial critical listening with the select test tracks is how well they do with pretty much everything I've thrown at them since. I've definitely found my do-it-all headphone.

Well hey, thx again man. This should be a great roadmap for myself for future mods. Still can't believe these cost only $169!

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #328 of 1,381

Exactly what Foam are you using?

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #330 of 1,381
I think another member posted on these. I've had them 3-4 weeks. Certainly better than the RCA connections. Nothing to compare them to - so I think its the essentially doubling of power to the cans that does the trick. Built well, but sealed tight at both ends (good for keeping O2 out, bad for examination). I would like to test the silver - and look at the connections. But at this point I'll say for the price it gets you into the game cheap compared to SOTA audio nervosa prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back