1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
Next

Last
  1. DavidA
    I have to agree with @bagwell359 that $93 for a cable is a bit much for a $125 headphone and the money would be better spent on an amp or even a different headphone or better ear pads than the stock ones. Take a look at the Schiit HEL, a DAC/amp designed for gamers from what I've read, but its not cheap at $190 so a bit over 2 bills with shipping.

Forgot to add that going balanced does not always mean that you will get better separation/imaging, its really a function of the design of the amp. I've heard a few amps that the SE and balanced output sound the same and then there are some amps that the balanced output is quite a bit better than the SE and other amps that the SE sounded better than the balanced.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. ronfifer
    Thanks for suggesting the Schiit HEL, David.

Any owner out there, who actually swapped the stock cable with a balanced cable, can share their results and the model of amp used?

3. bagwell359
    Switched the stock to a Chinese XLR (cheap, SPC (silver plated copper)). On a Rag 1 (SE: 3 wpc @32 ohms > XLR:15 wpc @32 ohms) besides the expected change, less splashy and more defined treble.

MrSpeakers Ether Angled ($79) pads did more for the sound,

However even with the pads, $1700 amp, XLR cables these are beginner/low end cans. Sell them and take the $ for the cable and pads and buy a pair of used HE-500 to get into the very high middle range of planar cans. Far more life like, speaker like, musical.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    ronfifer likes this.
  4. SeEnCreaTive
    Hel or Fulla 3

The fulla is the more inexpensive version. Neither have a balanced out

They are both for "gaming". The only thing that makes them for "gaming" is the 3.5mm Microphone in. Which is really good for those running a wired mic. Having a decent ADC can make a good difference

However if you are like me, and just has a Snowball, won't affect you. They don't support USB mics.

As for amps with a balanced out, the only one I can think of that's not crazy expensive would be the Schiit Jotunheim. You can convert it to a amp/DAC combo too if you want an all in one unit

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    ronfifer likes this.
  5. Reinhold
    could someone please upload some pictures from the disassembled headband?

6. Miataudio
    Hey all, I've had my 4xxs for a year now, and I've really enjoyed using the crap out of them for that time; however, the stock pads have started to fall apart. Do you all have any recommendations on aftermarket pads? I like the look of the ZMF Ori pads, but I can't seem to find too many others running them. Also, are there any additional mods I should consider while I'm playing with them?

Thanks,

Miataudio

KarmaPhala likes this.
  7. jerrikko
    Did you try any of the Ori's before going with Auteur's? also, which material for your Auteurs, thank you

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. bagwell359
    I have them and find the mid/upper bass fat which tends to hide the lower bass.

If you agree - take the rear screens off, 2 pieces of dynamat and 2 pieces of sorbothane where the cup goes around the driver. They don't have to meet and can't be cut too fat, in fact they should not meet, leave 5% empty before you get to the 'sorb or the dynamat. Low bass (under 45 Hz) starts to pop a bit more, and sloggy sluggy mid/upper bass dries up nicely. This also means lower male voices, and lower piano notes no longer sound like a 15' Cervin Vega driver produced them instead of a nice planar mid.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. Vaejoviscarolinanus
    I just opened my set and I am literally listening to the first few tracks, they are bright and sharp. I just hope that they will get a bit more mellow with time. I am listening to Dan Fogelberg Netherlands which isn’t the best recording.

10. Snikibiki
    Has anyone tested brainwavz microsuede pads on these? :)

11. bagwell359
    fuzor mod doesn't work, pad and cable changes are your best bet. Try breaking them in too.

12. ngs428
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  13. jerrikko
    Assimilator702 said

I still plan on doing some light mods to my 4XX to improve the bass so if it doesn't work out I'll put them up for sale.

Not sure if you answered somewhere else but what mods (for bass mentioned but curious about any you deemed nec) were you exploring? thx

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  14. ronfifer
    I just got my HE4XX and the soundstage in PC games is very constricted and small. I cannot hear what's happening outside my direct vicinity. Huge night and day difference in soundstage between this and my Ad900x and K702. I dont expect the HE4XX to match the soundstage of those 2 headphones but it is not even %40 as large in terms of soundstage. This goes against the mainstream reviews i read about the HE4xx. Also i cannot hear footsteps as they are too quiet (recessed). Imaging is good though. What could be the problem? Not enough amplification power? I am using on-board audio chip on gaming laptop which drives my AKG k702 loud enough. Or could it be a faulty product?

15. BobSmith8901
    Not a gamer here but yeah, it could be a power thing although the sound stage isn't the greatest on the HiFiMan to begin with.

The 4XX has very low sensitivity at 93 dB. You'd probably want at least 250mW at 32 Ohms and the more the merrier. My 4XX sounds best with my Magni 2 U (1W) or Cayin C5 (800mW).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    ronfifer likes this.
First

Back
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
Next

Last