1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74
Next

Last
  1. Lurk650
    Yeah the Brainwavz Alara are supposed to be some bassy Planar headphones, tempting

2. Assimilator702
    Yeah not sure why people think these cans are where to look for bass emphasis. It digs fairly deep and is present but it's nothing compared to say a Fostex TH-X00.

Did you ever have any discomfort with the 4XX?

I can't listen to them for longer than 15 minutes without getting a headache.

I know there must be a spike somewhere in the middle of the lower treble that I must be sensitive to. It also might be due to their overall flat nature and the tendency to turn them up to experience that exciting planar bass.

The thought of listening to them is actually giving me a headache.

I've been listening to the 6XX and 58X with no problems. Even the DT 880 250 ohm isn't a problem for me compared to the 4XX.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. dmdm
    Other than the fostex cans, what would you all recommend for bass?

4. Earl of Bouillon
    Is this a combined issue with comfort and sound? I personally don't have a problem with comfort but I replaced the pads. A little pressure is still there with the new pads but reduced. For me, I don't have an issue with the any of the frequencies these produce although I a similar problem with a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580's.

5. LuczOr
    I haven't had any problems with comfort on mine. Certainly no headaches. However, I do listen at pretty low volumes since they are my office pair and I don't want to disturb my adjacent coworkers.

6. Assimilator702
    Overall leaves a lot to be desired. The yoke hinge while Metal seems inadequate. The clamp is no where near enough for anyone without a giant head. The actualheadband padding seems like an afterthought. I installed Dekoni Hybrids
    My issues are strickly due to sound. I find them very comfortable in my head unlike the Fostex TH-X00 which feel strange. It's possible there's not enough lowend which makes me turn up the volume to compensate making the top half of the frequency spectrum too loud.

I remember others mention getting their brains scrambled from the 4XX but I forgot where I read it. Probably in YT comment section.

7. dmdm
    Screw it, I just ordered the sundaras from Amazon.

I was interested in the bass of the Fostex cans, but the stories of qc put me off. The sundaras seem very intriguing with great build quality. I think I'm most frightened of headphones breaking, like the ps4 gold headsets.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Brainiac9000 and Lurk650 like this.
  8. Assimilator702
    Double post.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  9. Earl of Bouillon
    Could always try using an equalizer software

10. Assimilator702
    I already sold them to partly finance a new drumset. I kept the Dekoni Hybrid pads but actually after getting a few sets of Sennheiser cans and rediscovering my DT 990 and DT 880 with a new tube amp I'm fairly satisfied with what I have. I'd like to fix the issues with the HE 4XX and if I can't sell those and try another set of planars.

If a set of headphones needs EQ I tend to lose interest although I would like to try some of the EQ apos that Metal571 on You tube uses.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  11. Shroomalistic
    Got my suede Ori pads on, amazing pads. Comfort is top notch. They didnt seem to effect the sound much, slightly more bass and no treble harshness. Did seem to open up the sound stage and no more ichyness from original pads.

I ordered 2 other sets of pads to try out from aliexpress.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Def...K551-k553-Headset-Headphones/32859257961.html
    MemFoam and sheepskin, thicker with more of an angle and same circumference as the Ori pads.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...es-Earpads-High-Quality-11-29/32957776585.htm
    Not as thick and a little smaller then ori's but still memfoam and sheepskin.

I was just gonna buy sheepskin ori's but I figured for the price of those I can get 2 sets of similar from ali. Never know they could be awesome.

12. Cruelhand Luke
    The Monoprice Monolith M565 has very good bass, responds well to modding (and it's easy to mod) it's very light weight (for a planar) and easy to drive. (it actually sounds good out of a phone if your phone has a halfway decent amp) You can usually get them 'open box' for $150.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-m565-immpresions.859817/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monolith-m565-mods.899477/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    trellus likes this.
  13. NWLierly
    Unboxed today, started with my Radsone ES100 and Weezer's Blue Album (just because of familiarity). First pair of open backs for me, and before burn (and before a real album) in I am already kind of excited.

I managed to take the balanced cable I bought to work today, and forgot to bring it back home... ARG - guess that means more fun for me tomorrow listening to the difference.

serwei likes this.
  14. scottm18
    Anybody tried them on LG V30 ? Can the V30 drive these ?

The *BIG* difference between these cans and the rest of the Hifiman line when you're considering the V30 is the impedance is higher on these @ 42 ohms (vs 20-25) so it very frequently will trigger the coveted high impedance mode of that phone (about 75% of the time). For that phones to run planars you *have* to get it in that mode--no ifs ands or buts about it.

To get there you can use trick methods, clumsy adapters or root your phone to maybe force it...but these do it naturally almost every time. As for an upgraded cable people are asking about, no surprise but Hifimans own silver cable that comes with the HEX v2 sounds phenomenal with the 4xxx The stock "brightness" is completely taken away & this sound is noticeably expanded and beautifully lush. As a bonus the high impedance mode now triggers almost every time with this cable (90%). Yes the cable may look like something you'd find in a hospital hospital surgery ward and new is as much as the cost of the headphones...but trust me you're getting a lot more than $350 in sound with it. Now if they could just get a little more padding for that headband... and fix those QC issues.

I'm sure hifiman has a 30-day return policy so give it a shot and you'll see what I mean. Make sure you have the original 2.5" headphone connections prior to ordering this.
    http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/crystalline-silver-trs-cable-3-5mm-plug-for-edition-x.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  15. karloil
    i did. but mostly only when watching netflix so as not to disturb the wifey. so no real comment on SQ.

First

Back
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74
Next

Last