HiFiMan HE4XX
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #784 of 1,381
Anyone else have the problem on the left side where the sound comes and goes? Massdrop is sending me a new pair - their customer service on this has been A++.
Mine had this problem too only it was the right side, I live in the UK though and didn't fancy having to deal with sending them back to get fixed, or waiting on a new set so I fixed it myself, glad to know that massdrop have good customer service

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #785 of 1,381
Just got these from another member who barely used them. $120 shipped. Stellar pickup IMO. I had the 400i in the past and liked them but found them not detailed enough. I'm finding these to be much more appealing to me. The sound has exceeded my expectations.

One thing they do - if you just listen to nothing but these for say a month - you start to wonder if they are really excellent. A sign of great cans like the Senn 600 or the HFM 500. When you compare them, then the flaws stick out more. For $170 new or $120 used - can't complain.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #787 of 1,381
I am also curious to know what dac/amps people are having good results with. Everybody recommends something different it seems like.

My chain is as follows:
Furman M-8DX > Aune XP1 linear power supply (X2) > Aune X1S > Aune X7S > balanced cable > HE400i

I love the emotional response these headphones give me. Such a great all around headphone!

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #788 of 1,381
I've got an aluminum "grill" that has holes 3/4" across, the open space is probably about 72-75% due to how I centered them. They are about .15" thick but weigh little being aluminum. Going to felt the bottoms (like the inside edges), and let them rip. I gave them two coat of paint, plus a clear coat, look pretty good themselves but the driver etc. underneath doesn't look so well. Forget the rings, too thick, have them blue tacked in.

OK, that big aperture approach (3/4") might look interesting, but it doesn't work well.

1. Actually on both the HE-4XX and HE-500, more bass and lower mids are "trapped" than with the stock screen, more resonance - too much. As much as I resist no screens, it was a relief after those giants - they look pretty cool - much better than the pic, but, who cares if it's a step back.

2. I felted the bottoms (facing the driver) and that made either no or very little difference, so treble seems to either to be not effected or enough is getting out as is.

I think the answer is a metal mesh in the style of the Sundara, or something similar. If I can, I'll go with magnetized metal (to keep metal chips from going inside to the driver). I'll strip the cloth mesh off the stock drivers and see if that audible with the new mesh and install if not or its not notable.

The shades that Ananda and other new HFM use would be cool, but, you'd have to fuss with the can itself, and I don't think that's advisable.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #789 of 1,381
So I did some side by side listening last night with my Grados and my HE4XX. One thing that really stands out is how much better the Grados are at representing the timbre of an instrument. Was listening to Mingus Ah Um while comparing and the Grados were the clear winner.

What I loved about the xx’s was the richness of the toneality and how it feels like the music is hugging my brain. Just a fun headphone all around.

Oh and the soundstage is of course much better on the HE4XX’s

So, a good companion to the Grado's?

I like "fun" headphones and not the neutral/transparent 'phones that seem to be preferred by many. Hated and sold the HD6XX.

My collection consists of Grado GH2, Sony Z7's and Meze 99 Classic. Think these would be a good fit?

Thanks!

Shane D

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #790 of 1,381
So, a good companion to the Grado's?

I like "fun" headphones and not the neutral/transparent 'phones that seem to be preferred by many. Hated and sold the HD6XX.

My collection consists of Grado GH2, Sony Z7's and Meze 99 Classic. Think these would be a good fit?

Thanks!

Shane D

Definitely a good companion! Especially at this price point. No issues with mine so far. I find myself grabbing these more than anything lately. Especially when I’m working around the house doing my hunny do list. They play nice straight out of my iPods and iPhone. The short cable is nice for that too obviously.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #791 of 1,381
Definitely a good companion! Especially at this price point. No issues with mine so far. I find myself grabbing these more than anything lately. Especially when I’m working around the house doing my hunny do list. They play nice straight out of my iPods and iPhone. The short cable is nice for that too obviously.

Thanks for the reply. They sound interesting just by reviews and comments. I tried the HE400S quite a while ago. It was unusable with the iPod Classic and OK with my Note 4. I am now running a Sony NW-ZX300. Tons of power for me. I never go past 60 out of 120 in both high gain and high gain balanced out.

I figure that at this price I can`t lose (probably about $300.00, all in, to Canada). Debating on seeing what Black Friday brings too...

Shane D

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #792 of 1,381
Hi guys, need your help with something.
Looking to replace the stock pads on my 4xx with hybrid HM5 pads. I've found a UK shop on ebay selling the cheap Hifiman velours - https://www.ebay.com/itm/392108702163.
Can you please tell me if the mounting rings on those are compatible with the 4xx?

The seller stated that the pads would be compatible only with these models: HiFiMan HE-300, HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-5LE, HiFiMan HE-500, and HiFiMan HE-6.
From what I've read in this thread, these cheap velour pads would be the cheapest option to get mounting rings from, which implies they would be compatible with 4xx.
So I'm a bit confused.... What am I missing?

Can you help please?
Thanks!

*** If anyone has a spare set of mounting rings, I'd be more than happy to buy it from them (within the EU preferably). Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #794 of 1,381
Anybody here running these out of a Sony DAP?

Shane D

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #795 of 1,381
anyone doing this post-it mod?

1101180837a.jpg 1101180837.jpg

please god..
someone please help me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back