1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53
Next

Last
  1. turbomustang84
    if you decide to take a crack at another Sennheiser and only want either the 58Xor the 6XX go with the 58X but do yourself a favor and buy both

omniweltall and billbishere like this.
  2. Vitandus
    I enjoy the bass on these. A very planar bass sound - well composed, but not for bass heads.

billbishere and displayname like this.
  3. billbishere
    i wouldn't consider myself a Basshead but, i do listen to EDM and I do like a nice boom for movies. I think I am going to go for the HE4xx's

4. hsdrggr
    ZMF Pilot Pad. Hopefully Massdrop will have a drop soon. Shipping direct from ZMF is a killer.

BrotherKathos and displayname like this.
  5. Vitandus
    $8 and be here by Friday. I’ll pay the price.

6. hsdrggr
    Cool, I thought they were charging $15

7. t4t3r
    Received my pair from MD today and liking what I’m hearing so far. First pair of planars. Longtime HD580 fan so really my only comparison (for now), but definitely a different flavor to those. Deeper, tighter bass and some nice texture in the lower tones as well as some nice shimmer to the highs - gives it a very full and complete sound. Haven’t read enough planar opinions yet but the soundstage is a bit narrow to my liking. Perhaps some improvement there is what you can get with a step up in price. I wouldn’t call it a deal breaker by any means and as I said, really lovely quality for the price.

trellus likes this.
  8. Vitandus
    Listening to the DOOM soundtrack right now on HE4xx on a Magni/Modi2 stack as I play World of Warcraft. Lots of bass in these tracks, and I think it sounds good. Boomy Beats-style? No. Well composed and still driving? Hell yes! For the Horde!

displayname and billbishere like this.
  9. ngs428
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  10. hsdrggr
    I’m sure they will work fine. Just make sure that your amp has the 2.5 TRRS balanced output. You can’t use those cables on normal single-ended output, like on a cell phone. You’ll need something like a FiiO Q1 Mark ii at least to drive the HE4XX’s. They need lots of amperage to drive them properly.

11. ngs428
    Thanks for the reply. They were the only balanced cables I could find and I don't really want to spend much more. I am using a Cayin N5ii which has a 2.5mm balanced out. It is rated at 250mW+250mW(@ 32 Ohm). Looks like the FiiO Q1 Mark ii is 220mW @32 ohm.

Edit: I picked one up. It will have to arrive from China, so a bit of a wait...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. hsdrggr
    Very cool! There are some things I don’t like about my FiiO X7 Mark 2. It only runs android 4.1 and is not customizable. The EQ will not work with TIDAL or Spotify. Also Tidal & Spotify will not will not output through the micro USB DAC connection, only through the 3.5mm line-out connection. I am very interested about those features on the Cayin N5ii since you have one. Can you use the android EQ (or EQ app) with TIDAL and Spotify and will Tidal and Spotify output through the USB-C DAC port? If it does, I may be ordering one because I use TIDAL a lot and I hate running it through the 3.5mm line out, and not being able to apply EQ/DSP to it before output.

13. ngs428
    I don’t use any streaming services. But yes the Cayin does work with them, to what extent I do not know. I would do some searching on the product thread to see what you find.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-android-based-master-quality-digital-audio-player.862763/

There is also a technical assistance thread too.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-technical-support-thread.875864/page-17#post-14441923

The model has been recently discontinued, so it can be had for at great deal at $299 through musicteck.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...y-digital-audio-player-with-free-leather-case

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    trellus likes this.
  14. hsdrggr
    Thank you

15. turbomustang84
    Well other than my wife ,kids and grandkids my favorite things on earth are my Harley Davidson , Music and associated gear and fast Cars.

So I just watched Easy Rider , Bullitt , and a bizarre video made by someone which is made from the band Tools album Lateralus with the Fibonacci sequence with songs reordered and a video that makes makes me miss the 70s and Hallucinogenics

and the HE-4XX seem to do everything well .
    are they the best Headphones I own ? No

But they do everything good and if you could only have one set of Headphones these would not be a bad choice.
    if not for the cheaper and better Sennheiser HD-58X Jubilees or the fact that for not much more you could get the 6XX these would be my pick for best sub $200 Headphone.

they do completely outclass my ATH-M50s and Sony V6s

Now its time to go for a ride on my Superglide in the hills of New Mexico.
    See Ya

trellus, riffrafff and displayname like this.
First

Back
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53
Next

Last