1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last
  1. RobA19
    Thanks for this! I've dropped them an email & quoted your user name here. I've got the HE4XX & have just bought a Questyle CMA400i headphone amp, so a balanced cable with a 4-pin neutrik will go nicely. Are the phone connectors 2.5mm mono or stereo on the HE4XX?

2. Beau Cauchemar
    It's worth mentioning that the connectors used for my cable weren't a perfect fit exactly and I did have to shave off a little bit of the headphone jack notches on the 4XX so that the plug could fit down far enough that it gave a satisfying click. A bummer that I had to, but hell they work and it only took a couple of minutes with a knife. Still looks perfectly fine, too.

Both my custom cable and the stock cable have 2.5mm stereo plugs,

3. RobA19
    Thanks again. They just sent me a link to this cable on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4ft-Silv...766957?hash=item2ccc09fa2d:g:DEIAAOSwEzxYONFr
    Would I have to shave off the 2.5mm connectors on this? Looks tough as they're metal!

4. Beau Cauchemar
    No, you wouldn't be shaving anything on the connectors. Just the notch surrounding the jacks on the 4XX themselves. And yes, that's the same cable that I have. I wasn't able to find anything better under $100 (or even around $150 for that matter.) That's my limit for cables.

RobA19 likes this.
  5. jaco61
    Pads-modding is simply funny, just tried something similar on my aq nighthawk with bw pads ...more bass?..Maybe. Soundstage seems a tad more extended.. interesting at first sight..will check out more with actual phones, my he4xx is still cruisin around in US ..should come europe will hope this year...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. Cruelhand Luke
    you should check out this mod it's a little better/more consistent than rolled up paper towels, but still super cheap:

7. Beau Cauchemar
    Thanks for posting this, Cruelhand Luke. This comes at a good time since I noticed today when listening that slightly lifting the cans off my ears while playing (again, using the ZMF Ori) that the bass impact actually increases when slightly off my ears (being careful to not let my hands go over the grills.) More distance away from the driver, regardless of seal, seems to boost the low’s impact, body, and amount.

I’ll be trying this foam roller mod to see if this accomplishes this, too given the increased distance. Might even help further soundstage amount as well.

Btw I took to listening/comparing the 4XXs with the HD800s and Q701 today and came away actually favoring the 4XXs. The HD800s, while extremely good in terms of soundstage/imaging and detail, found them to be a bit anemic when going back and forth between them and the other two cans. They just lacked a bit of the balanced body. The Q701s have also shown themselves to be a bit too exciting in terms of a V that wasn’t as prominent before. At this point in their current state, the 4XXs have the most enjoyable treble and overall balance/detail with no region leaving me wanting more or less (except for perhaps a bit more of a holographic soundstage, slightly better center imaging, and a touch more amount/body/impact in the lows - which it seems like the foam roller mod might address.)

Results from today’s comparison (0 = ideal)

HD800: treble +2 / mids +1 / lows -2 / soundstage 0 / imaging 0 / detail 0
    Q701 (bass port mod): treble +1.5 / mids -1 / lows 0 / soundstage 0 / imaging -0.5 / detail 0
    4XX (mods listed above): treble 0 / mids 0 / lows -0.5 / soundstage -2 / imaging -1 / detail -0.5

I would also light to add that the 4XX are sounding very natural to me in terms of instrument tonality. Getting a very live quality with jazz recordings. Even Steve Turre’s highest notes aren’t unpleasant. No cringe/fatigue moments at all.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Philimon likes this.
  8. Cruelhand Luke
    Cool, I look forward to hearing your results...post in the mod thread if you take pics!

9. zManiiac
    I have a pair of 400i's coming tomorrow that I got a good deal for. Gonna dip my toes in planar for now

10. Beau Cauchemar
    Ok so I threw on a lossless remaster of Return to Forever’s Romantic Warrior and these are blowing my mind. (Btw mind you tonight has just been direct from the output of the XDP-100R.)

Best money (including mods obviously) I’ve spent on audio ever. Deminsing returns enter Stage Left...

Almost feel like I should update the 4XXs ratings from my previous post. Simply bliss. At this point I feel like my work’s Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3s have been strapped to my head. The way these these cans are rapidly aging (burning in?) I might not even bother with further mods. That’s how well these are performing. Placebo effect withstanding, the 4XX (with current mods) are leaving me with less and less to be desired with continued listening.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  11. redrich2000
    They would be perfect. I cut donuts out of those interconnecting rubber/foam mats you buy from dollar stores. Those worked but were a bit rough.
    I also took the dust screen off the back of the rear grills. That did add more air to them. I don't think I'll bother with re-grilling.

12. bagwell359
    Just modded these to 4 pin balanced. Low bass more assertive, from 100-200 Hz more damped, treble more 3D detail, but no increase in tizzyness/hotness (not that I feel that way about them). Each change is subtle, but taken as a whole it's very impressive. As they sit they are my #1 can. I'm going to max out mods with the MD X00, these, and the HD-600. The Fostex 500's? They are going to need some work and I'm not sure the low midrange veil wll lift.

13. karloil
    Hoping that someone fully tear down this unit and post the steps online. I'm already thinking of re-doing the headband time will tell...

14. karloil
    also got to terminate to Balanced last night...for those who are planning to, below is the color/polarity assignment for your reference. (if i remember correctly :wink:)

Orange - Left +
    Green - Left -
    Red - Right +
    Blue - Right -

15. FastAndClean
    Once you go planar you will never come back to distorting small dynamic drivers

Philimon likes this.
First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last