1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. bagwell359
    They are keepers. I'm changing them to balanced this week. I find that change immensely greater than this or that standard cable (although to be fair my Ragnarok shows that difference more than most amps). O2 free copper, well soldered connections, solid mechanical connections (if needed), shortest possible cable run - those are things to focus on no matter which type you use.

Cables that cost 50% or 75% of the phones? Look at the wiring in your amp, home, and distance to the nearest transformer.... as a reformed subjectivist if you haven't done blind comparisons, it's much more likely its the expectations in your mind, and not the cables accounting for perceived differences.

You have a tough load? I've seen speakers like Quad ESL, Scintillas, CLS, and others munge amps, and require cables that helped ameliorate the issues from the load. However, since you get a huge uptick from using an amp that is designed balanced (not just glued on for marketing purposes), it ends that argument.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. lavinachtani
    I was not planning on buying these because i intend to use it straight out of the phone and i was told that i need an amp for them. I just realized that i have a fiio e6 lying around somewhere, so can those power these headphones to a decent level?
    The music i listen to is mostly classic rock. I do listen to a little bit of hans zimmer and sometimes EDM. Will these be good for that sort of music?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. bagwell359
    I'd say so, The FiiO X3 has enough juice for them. Now I usually listen program level 80-85 db, and avoid peaks over 97 db, but I did blast them last week on Cowboy Junkies, and that was fine. My ragnarok drives them better, but that's sort of obvious.

4. DancingShade
    My 4XXs finally turned up in the mail today (overseas so it took a while).

I'm going to be brutal because my go-to since the first shipment arrived in Australia has been the Aeon Flow Opens. These are not those, lets just get that out of the way. If you want top notch open planar magnificence go buy Dan's newest headphones and have no regrets.

What these are is exceptionally good value for money. I gave them a listen completely stock using a custom balanced cable from my Jotunheim. They were good, a bit uh... too sparkly at the high end, but good. I'm a bit sensitive to treble though.

Naturally I then tore the focus pads apart for the mounting rings and grabbed my ZMF Ori pads, added some frontal dampening between the mounting rings and the back of the pads in the form of 2 chopped down kleenex style tissues and trimmed discs of craft felt.

After that mod I'm going to say these are excellent. Well built, comfortable and quite punchy. Treble just where I like it. You could buy these and be pretty happy with them for a long time, if you can muster the self restraint that is.

One added bonus. It's hot today by my standards and I have had these sitting on my head for quite a while now. My ears don't feel like they're cooking off, so the very open nature (drivers are very visible if you peer through the grills) is quite handy depending on your climate.

Oh and fitting. I have a large head. I had to (slightly) mod my Aeons with an additional 3mm of soft sheepskin hide strips on top of the pads for ear clearance due to pad compression. I have to wear the 4XXs at maximum extension and they are quite clampy. They feel very comfortable though, especially now they have the ZMF Ori pads on them which I strongly recommend. Vary any frontal dampening based on your needs and preference.

volly and jaco61 like this.
  5. jaco61
    Still waiting... to deliver. Hope mine are ok...there were some quality control issues in various forums. Still got no tracking number till today...ordered 7.12. hm.. will see ...thrilling anyway.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  6. squee116
    I think of all the amp/dacs I've used so far, these sound the best on the Chord Mojo. The vocals are just a tad closer, and the presentation becomes a bit more cohesive. These still can't replace my 400i or 400s, but for the price, and with the right pairing, these are certainly a high value option. I will say the G103 and Magni 2U did not pair well with these, the zingy treble is still there with the Mojo. I didn't have a pair, but it sounds like these may be more related to the original 400 in sound signature?

7. strawed
    I've had these for about a week, and although they sound pretty good stock, they sound fantastic with some slight EQ adjustments with the Schiit LOKI. I basically dial back the treble and give a slight bump to the other dials for warmth/lushness.

jaco61 and trellus like this.
  8. heliosphann
    I also highly recommend getting some better pads on these. I've got the ZMF Eikon pads on and am quite happy with the sound. Might try and roll some others, I have pretty much every ZMF pad except the Auteur's.

jaco61 likes this.
  9. jaco61
    How you would describe the changes in sound to the stockpads?

10. DancingShade
    With ZMF Ori Pads and the added frontal dampening I used? Better bass, more punch, smoother treble but still lots of air and higher frequency action. No major changes to the mid range or sound stage.

Bit hard to go back and A/B again though since I tore apart the stock focus pads for the rings.

jaco61 likes this.
  11. jaco61
    Thanks for response. Which type of ZMF Ori Pads are meant: lambskin, perforated lambskin, suede or protein?

12. DancingShade
    Oh yeah - sorry! I forgot Zach just released a bunch more types of pads. I'm using the lambskin original type.

jaco61 likes this.
  13. jaco61
    Thanks a lot! I got a message yesterday my HE4xx are on the way to europe, perfect. I trust your ears and check some pads and an extra ring to complete it :)
    btw I love it that best soundresults produce straightaway pleasant lambskin ...its much more durable and resistant than microsuedes or velour ..the icing on the cake ... a hifiman with a noble real leather touch, simply great!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    DancingShade likes this.
  14. DancingShade
    Yeah I really like leather pads too. The most comfortable by far on my skin and giving them an occasional polish with leather care hydrating cream makes them seem like new.

jaco61 likes this.
  15. jaco61
    +1 100%

DancingShade likes this.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last