1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last
  1. joostdh
    Let me add some of my thoughts.

Firstly, I am extremely happy with these. The first time I put them on I notifed how comfortable they felt. Friends, with no experience with ‘proper’ cans, found that too. I’ve now had a few multiple hour sessions and I still find them very enjoyable to wear. The clamp is mild and coupled with the soft velour they feel pleasantly plush. Somewhat comparable to the Philips X1/X2.

Soundwise they are certainly open and that is immediately apparent with the wide soundstage. Wider than the previously mentioned Philips. Obviously they leak sound, both in and out. If that is a problem then look further.

On the whole these seem pretty flat to me with maybe the high trebles falling off a bit too soon for my taste. Bass extension is definitely there but bass is a tad lean. I have Xduoo XD-05 with a bass boost that works wonders for cans like these. The rather flat respons and wide soundstage (and maybe planar design) mean that reproduction is very clear, even tracks with a lot going on never seem congested.

Build seems more than fine, nothing cracks, squeaks or rattles. The matte blue housing is a pretty dark shade, it could just as well have been dark grey or black. The materials are not sensitive to fingerprints which is always nice. The only thing I’m not to keen on is the padding on the headband. That does look somewhat cheap. The cable is quite and basic. It comes with a 1/8" plug and adapter to 1/4".

I have listened to them mostly with the aforementioned Xduoo XD-05. They do work straight into an iPad, which can drive them to comfortable levels but never really loud if that is what you would like.

There seem to be a lot of good headphones available at very decent prices recently and at a certain point you have to ask what they each bring to the table. For me the HE4XX are winners: very comfortable, great sound with no overt flaws and a more than reasonable price. They do need to be plugged into something that can get them to a volume with enough headroom. Of everything I have these feel most like the Philips X2 and at the moment I am liking the HiFiMan HE4XX a bit more for the added clarity and soundstage.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    trellus likes this.
  2. jdoo
    They do get better bass extension and gain even better clarity in the upper register with a good deal of break in and definitely benefit from a bigger amp.

3. Cruelhand Luke
    thanks for the impressions. I am planning on getting a nice mid-fi set sometime next year as an upgrade to my SHP9500s and I have it kind of narrowed down to: AKG 7xx, Hifiman HE 4xx, and the Fidelio X2.
    The idea that it's similar to the X2 but with that planar clarity appeals to me. Plus, none of my headphones are planars and obviously that needs to be rectified.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. squee116
    TBH, for the small bump in price, I recommend the 400i over these, unless money is a hard limit. Despite the tuning of the 7xx, it's still a bit on the brighter, it and x2 are very different in house sound. Are you experimenting to see if you like warm or bright headphones?

5. Cruelhand Luke
    If you look at my sig, I have been buying budget stuff in an effort to kind of define the parameters of my tastes before I go and spend too much on a single large purchase.
    I prefer bass quality over quantity, I value clarity, details, imaging and soundstage. (but I don't listen to orchestral stuff for example, so soundstage isn't everything)
    I love the quality of materials and the sound of my Fidelio L2s ...but for movies and live music I like my 9500s. So, it would seem a natural fit for me go with the X2.
    But, the price is never all that great. I want to stay below $200, it's an artificial limit I set for myself. I did the same thing when I got my L2s, I just wouldn't go over $100. I'm glad I did, because I have never for a moment doubted if they were worth it.

6. Cruelhand Luke
    I prefer the look and price of the 4xx, but for arguments sake, what would be the advantage of spending the extra fifty bucks for the 400i?

7. squee116
    Clarity and details go to the 400i in spades, which is 189 open box or 219 brand new straight from Hifiman. And this may sound weird, but even the RE600s v2 sound better, which are 129 right now.

8. squee116
    Since you mention it, live music will sound better on 400i. Vocals take a big step forward, and the instrument arrangement just plays better with live music. The details go to the 400i, and the 400i extends deeper into bass and treble without much harshness, and an amp can play with the coloration to make it sound warmer or brighter, because of its inherently neutral sound signature.

9. karloil
    Anyone here from Singapore? how long was the shipping timelines?

10. Cruelhand Luke
    thanks for your thoughts. It gives ME more to think about certainly.
    I have been pondering: what expectations I have for this next headphone, what I like in current headphones that this one has to do as good as or better than, etc. (I'm certain either the 400i or 4XX will meet and exceed my current lineup in everything except perhaps isolation and portability, neither of which I expect out of them) I honestly think either headphone would suit me, so it comes down to is the 400i better enough in sound vs 4xx to trade off for looks and price? There are probably other factors I'm not thinking of though...:thinking:

11. wwmhf
    Thanks for sharing your impressions according to which HE400i and HE4XX have difference sound signatures

12. RockaRolla
    hey, i received notification on 22nd nov and received it on the 6th of dec, so exactly 2 weeks

13. dgindlespergerd
    Mine are supposed to be in tomorrow.....Then they get wrapped and under the tree.....
    For those testing I have been reading about VS the 400i, but what about the good old HE-400?

14. squee116
    I've only got the 400i, 400s, and 4xx, so I don't have a point of comparison.

15. karloil
    Thanks man!

First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last