Hifiman HE400se
May 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #241 of 664
Found this cool. I wish more repairmen like this were in my area. 400SE Driver Trace Repair

On a sort of related note, I bought a pair of HE-560 V1s shipped from the US to Canada, and upon arrival both drivers were dead :frowning2: I plugged it to various systems in my home hoping that some current would re-energize them, but no dice.
Yikes! That video gave me anxiety! So tiny and so easy to mess up. :grimacing: With the 400SE only being $150 I think I would just buy a new pair...

That sucks about your 560! If both side are totally dead it might not be the membrane but rather the wiring going from the jack to the membrane and that would be much easier to fix and someone with decent but basic soldering skills could fix that. I'm assuming you already ruled out the cable?

May 4, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #242 of 664
Yikes! That video gave me anxiety! So tiny and so easy to mess up. :grimacing: With the 400SE only being $150 I think I would just buy a new pair...

That sucks about your 560! If both side are totally dead it might not be the membrane but rather the wiring going from the jack to the membrane and that would be much easier to fix and someone with decent but basic soldering skills could fix that. I'm assuming you already ruled out the cable?
Thanks! I did rule out the cable. I contemplated swapping the cups with my 400i cups and use the 2.5 mm connectors but felt it wasn’t worth the time or the effort

May 7, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #244 of 664
Im really tempted too. Interested in what a pair of cheap planars sounds like vs dynamics I've had.

May 7, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #246 of 664
Im really tempted too. Interested in what a pair of cheap planars sounds like vs dynamics I've had.

You won't be disappointed, my HE 400i 2020's blowed my Sennheiser HD 560s out of the water and made me return them😅😅🤣🤣
^^

My HE400S are, to this day my favorite sound signature over any of the dynamics I have listened to or owned in the past. Could they be better? Sure, but they were only $200. I would even put my HE400S up against my Devas, even though I love those too. I like that Hifiman uses their trickle down technology on their budget phones. I would say that some of these budget planars are every bit of 90% of some of the way more expensive models. All just my opinion though.

May 8, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #247 of 664
^^

My HE400S are, to this day my favorite sound signature over any of the dynamics I have listened to or owned in the past. Could they be better? Sure, but they were only $200. I would even put my HE400S up against my Devas, even though I love those too. I like that Hifiman uses their trickle down technology on their budget phones. I would say that some of these budget planars are every bit of 90% of some of the way more expensive models. All just my opinion though.
I agree with you completely there👌🏼

May 8, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #249 of 664
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some open back headphones. I was thinking Sundara but I'm a little worried if the are to bright. I like smooth non fatiguing sound but still engaging.

What about HE400se vs Sundara? Any other option?

May 8, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #250 of 664
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some open back headphones. I was thinking Sundara but I'm a little worried if the are to bright. I like smooth non fatiguing sound but still engaging.

What about HE400se vs Sundara? Any other option?
I haven't heard both of them, but my HE 400i 2020's are excellent. If you can get a pair of them, go for it👌🏼👌🏼 A heads up for you, they need a lot of juice

May 8, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #252 of 664
Got my HE400se two days ago and am quite impressed.
I must say I even have problems to EQ them because they are so good out of the box - not really needing anything for me besides a few db of bass boost.
Headband is a bit stiff at first but I guess that will improve over time and the cable is poor but otherwise - quite excellent headphone. :):beerchug:

May 8, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #254 of 664
Just bought a pair about a week ago and have been listening to them ever since. I absolutely love these headphones. They wouldn't be my first choice for modern music (for that I have a pair of X2HRs) but for jazz, classical, and some classic rock they are beyond my expectations. Can't go wrong for $150. Although, I like many others despise the ever living crap out of the included cable. Thankfully my Hart Audio cables are on their way to replace it. Now I just need to start looking in to a balanced amp to really drive these even more.

May 9, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #255 of 664
Just bought a pair about a week ago and have been listening to them ever since. I absolutely love these headphones. They wouldn't be my first choice for modern music (for that I have a pair of X2HRs) but for jazz, classical, and some classic rock they are beyond my expectations. Can't go wrong for $150. Although, I like many others despise the ever living crap out of the included cable. Thankfully my Hart Audio cables are on their way to replace it. Now I just need to start looking in to a balanced amp to really drive these even more.
Just get a Fiio K5 Pro for just 150$ or maybe for even cheaper. I know it is not balanced, but even in unbalanced mode it pushes out 1.5W into 32ohm!!! It drives my HE 400i 2020's perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back