Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jun 29, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #3,361 of 5,189
I love the sense of bass coming from surround rather than Left n Right channel. does the HEKSE share that ? or is it more similar to traditional headphones such as the he6se ..
The HEK has a wider than average sound stage, so you do tend to get a left/right style presentation at any frequency (recording dependent of course). Some people like that, I don't, which is why I consider a good cross-feed is essential for headphones like HEK.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #3,362 of 5,189
The HEK has a wider than average sound stage, so you do tend to get a left/right style presentation at any frequency (recording dependent of course). Some people like that, I don't, which is why I consider a good cross-feed is essential for headphones like HEK.
the arya is Super wide. but the bass seems to come from beneath :D

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #3,363 of 5,189
Hi all, headphone newbie here. Seriously considering the HE1000se V2 since it's getting cleared out. Anyone want to try to sell me on something else in the price range, 2k? Only owned HE400 and an EMU Teak in the past. Preference is usually subbass focus and great technicalities.

Also, would the RME ADI-2 DAC v1 drive them well enough?

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #3,364 of 5,189
Hi all, headphone newbie here. Seriously considering the HE1000se V2 since it's getting cleared out. Anyone want to try to sell me on something else in the price range, 2k? Only owned HE400 and an EMU Teak in the past. Preference is usually subbass focus and great technicalities.

Also, would the RME ADI-2 DAC v1 drive them well enough?
Yes it would. The V2 and Arya v2/ se are both great in that price range.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #3,365 of 5,189
I love the sense of bass coming from surround rather than Left n Right channel. does the HEKSE share that ? or is it more similar to traditional headphones such as the he6se ..
Excellent precision.

There was precision with the sound re stage placement right across the sound. One of the key attributes of the hekse imho.

I only sold mine after buying the susvara and i chose to keep my utopias over the hekse as the utopias are fuller in sound in my setup

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,366 of 5,189
Excellent precision.

There was precision with the sound re stage placement right across the sound. One of the key attributes of the hekse imho.

I only sold mine after buying the susvara and i chose to keep my utopias over the hekse as the utopias are fuller in sound in my setup
thank you Crow. I found Utopia too closed in for me.
Ideal for me is an Arya v2 with Utopia level detail.
So I am hoping for a HeKSe

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #3,367 of 5,189
I've gone through a number of different cables for my HEKse, including the Cardas Clear, Norne Drausk, Arctic Cables Cuprum, and Forza Audioworks Hybrid. My favorite so far is a special custom design sold only on Ebay, combining 7N cryo OCC copper Litz, palladium plated silver and gold plated silver. It was a bit pricey at almost $500, but beats all the other ones I have tried in transparency and especially soundstage. Imaging focus on different instruments and instrument groups, and depth of soundstage, are unprecedented in my experience, I think due to the use of a number of palladium plated conductor strands; palladium is unique to my knowledge in the industry except for the extemely expensive Arctic Cables Opera. The cable also tames the treble a little, just enough for me at least.

The link to the Ebay page is https://www.ebay.com/itm/124992874347?hash=item1d1a27e76b:g:FfcAAOSwd0tg9xsi . This cable has a balanced 4-pin XLR amp connector. The cable maker does a lot of custom terminations and he probably will make one with other terminations like single ended 1/4" TRS.
this account is gone. which makes me suspect of the ebay link.. was it the cable maker lol

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #3,368 of 5,189
I've seen a few comments about the stock cables for the HE1000 V2s being mediocre and affecting sound quality. Touchy subject, but hoping to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences with both stock and other cables

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,369 of 5,189
I've seen a few comments about the stock cables for the HE1000 V2s being mediocre and affecting sound quality. Touchy subject, but hoping to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences with both stock and other cables
I have not tried any cables other than stock for my 1000se (same cable for the v2 AFAIK). It is a blend of "crystalline copper and crystalline silver wire". Honestly, other than the rubber sheathing, I have no issues with it. The 1/4" sells for $250 and the XLR sells for $400 on their own, so it isn't an afterthought cable.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #3,373 of 5,189

Sound quality of stock cable is pretty good. Crystalline clear as the product description says. The issue is with the feel of the cable and how it coils.

Can you actually tell difference in sound between cables???

Definitely. If you haven't spend time enough with different cables, you might think they all sound the same. Just like some who cannot hear difference between DACs. Or even worst, some who cannot hear difference between amps.

I've a Forza Noir Hybrid HPC cable here and I can clearly hear the difference with the stock cable.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #3,374 of 5,189
stock works fine for me. The cans need EQ not another $1k worth of cables.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #3,375 of 5,189
stock works fine for me. The cans need EQ not another $1k worth of cables.
8 core pure silver cables (18)with high quality connectors can be had for 350 USD. No need to spend a grand lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back