Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,986 of 5,189
Jebus that sounds like a horrible experience... I guess the silver lining is that they keep replacing them without much fuss. The Arya V3 is the first Hifiman I purchased since buying the HE-500 back in 2011, my first planar before I picked up the OG LCD-2.R2. The Arya is built well without any problems. I'm thinking about buying the HE1000SE or the Susvara... I actually like the HE1000 form factor (long cups) and like the idea of them being easier to drive (no speaker amps), but all this talk of brightness is scaring me cause I don't EQ. I can get thick copper cables for them if needed
If you use pure copper wiring you will be good with the HEKSE.

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,987 of 5,189
Jebus that sounds like a horrible experience... I guess the silver lining is that they keep replacing them without much fuss. The Arya V3 is the first Hifiman I purchased since buying the HE-500 back in 2011, my first planar before I picked up the OG LCD-2.R2. The Arya is built well without any problems. I'm thinking about buying the HE1000SE or the Susvara... I actually like the HE1000 form factor (long cups) and like the idea of them being easier to drive (no speaker amps), but all this talk of brightness is scaring me cause I don't EQ. I can get thick copper cables for them if needed

I can't stand any Arya (all versions) due to sibilance on vocal and rather thin sounding at midrange area. HE1000SE, while produce more treble, but also offer fuller body through all spectrum, and treble quality is much better than Arya too (more liquid smooth).

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #2,988 of 5,189
So here are my impression of the Lambskin fenestrated pads "Aliexpress pads" with my heKse.

These might be the cure for the treble harshness !!

I am not saying these are absolutely necessary, but it does change the sound a little, at least enough for me to notice it immediately. These do tame the treble peaks that i found a little annoying. In certain tracks, it is too harsh. These pads tame the highs just enough while maintaining the crispness that the hekse is known for. in the mids, the vocals are fuller with more depth to it. As a result, the low end is brought up a little making it sound more towards neutral.

Here are the cons. Being made from lambskin, it does take away some of the soundstage away, however, imaging is still intact. Some of the air is also missing but that personally doesnt bother me since my dac (Yggy) is on the bright side anyways.

Overall i think these pads were a steal for $40. It doesnt come with a adapter with tabs, just a oval adhesive strip attached to it. So reapplying can be a issue if you want A/B between stock and this pad. However, the stock pads can be applied and taken off easily.

I think peeps who own the hekse should consider getting this pad. If you have $40 to spare, get it. It might give your hp a new type of sound.

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #2,989 of 5,189
So here are my impression of the Lambskin fenestrated pads "Aliexpress pads" with my heKse.

These might be the cure for the treble harshness !!

I am not saying these are absolutely necessary, but it does change the sound a little, at least enough for me to notice it immediately. These do tame the treble peaks that i found a little annoying. In certain tracks, it is too harsh. These pads tame the highs just enough while maintaining the crispness that the hekse is known for. in the mids, the vocals are fuller with more depth to it. As a result, the low end is brought up a little making it sound more towards neutral.

Here are the cons. Being made from lambskin, it does take away some of the soundstage away, however, imaging is still intact. Some of the air is also missing but that personally doesnt bother me since my dac (Yggy) is on the bright side anyways.

Overall i think these pads were a steal for $40. It doesnt come with a adapter with tabs, just a oval adhesive strip attached to it. So reapplying can be a issue if you want A/B between stock and this pad. However, the stock pads can be applied and taken off easily.

I think peeps who own the hekse should consider getting this pad. If you have $40 to spare, get it. It might give your hp a new type of sound.
Are your leather HE1000se pads actually fenestrated, or solid? I'm pretty sure I bought from the same seller awhile back via eBay, and even in the pictures, they're solid leather pads. Rather than the fenestrated/perforated pads like the ZMF perf pads. I'll be honest I didn't really notice a major difference after switching from the stock hybrid pads to these full leather pads, but as mentioned, it's impossible to truly A/B since they're glued on pads. Interestingly, Dekoni has actual leather fenestrated pads for the Susvara. Would be curious to hear if the fenestrated style makes a bigger difference.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #2,990 of 5,189
Are your leather HE1000se pads actually fenestrated, or solid? I'm pretty sure I bought from the same seller awhile back via eBay, and even in the pictures, they're solid leather pads. Rather than the fenestrated/perforated pads like the ZMF perf pads. I'll be honest I didn't really notice a major difference after switching from the stock hybrid pads to these full leather pads, but as mentioned, it's impossible to truly A/B since they're glued on pads. Interestingly, Dekoni has actual leather fenestrated pads for the Susvara. Would be curious to hear if the fenestrated style makes a bigger difference.
fenestrated. just like stock pads

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,991 of 5,189
Hi all - my beloved HEKSE are on their way back to Hifiman to upgrade to the Susvara. They have been great headphones and my main driver (over my Utopias) for the past 2+ years. I’ve had the LCD5’s for a week now and they do everything the HEKSE does but with more bass punch and a more refined treble. More to my taste but both headphones are phenonomenal. One area where the LCD5 cant touch the HEKSE is “air” and soundstage width. Technically both phones are very strong.

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #2,992 of 5,189
fenestrated. just like stock pads
I see, great -- happy you like them.. look forward one day to my he1000se and I'll be happy to give them a shot as well :)

Attachments

• CCE3941A-C67C-4C91-84B1-72FE689FC893.jpeg
    CCE3941A-C67C-4C91-84B1-72FE689FC893.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #2,993 of 5,189
Hi all - my beloved HEKSE are on their way back to Hifiman to upgrade to the Susvara. They have been great headphones and my main driver (over my Utopias) for the past 2+ years. I’ve had the LCD5’s for a week now and they do everything the HEKSE does but with more bass punch and a more refined treble. More to my taste but both headphones are phenonomenal. One area where the LCD5 cant touch the HEKSE is “air” and soundstage width. Technically both phones are very strong.
I did not know Hifiman had an upgrade programme to Susvara.
Was it on their website?

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #2,995 of 5,189
My current setup of Schiit Yggdrail LIM DAC to GSX-Mini amp + Norne Drausk balanced out to HE1000se. After installing the new pads, this IS my new favorite setup. These new pads add some much needed thickness to the overall sound of the hp. I often though these cans sound a little lean in certain tracks, not to mention the treble peaks that sound harsh at moderate to high volume. These pads fix all these issues, to a certain extent. It maintains the sonic characteristics of the HeKse including the air and sparkle up top. It adds just the perfect amount of mid bass, making the vocals appear more full. And as i mentioned in my previous post, it does take away a little bit of sound stage width but in my case that's an acceptable tradeoff. I am extremely satisfied with the outcome of installing the new pads. IMHO, now i think my HE1000se is worth the kidney i had to sell to buy it.

Attachments

• 20211031_093427.jpg
    20211031_093427.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211031_093408.jpg
    20211031_093408.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211031_093317.jpg
    20211031_093317.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211031_094125.jpg
    20211031_094125.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211031_094106.jpg
    20211031_094106.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #2,997 of 5,189
I did not know Hifiman had an upgrade programme to Susvara.
Was it on their website?
I contacted them about this unadvertised upgrade program but considering the quote I got from my dealer it wasn’t worth doing. I have a 4 months old HEKse and they still wanted $2180.- incl.shipping. Taking into account PayPal conversion rate, I am better off getting it from the australian dealer shipped to New Zealand.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,998 of 5,189
I have a 3yo V2s and this deal is very tempting. I wonder if I can apply since I live in South America.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #2,999 of 5,189
I have a 3yo V2s and this deal is very tempting. I wonder if I can apply since I live in South America.
Just contact them on their website. They are very responsive, no doubt about that.

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #3,000 of 5,189
I contacted them about this unadvertised upgrade program but considering the quote I got from my dealer it wasn’t worth doing. I have a 4 months old HEKse and they still wanted $2180.- incl.shipping. Taking into account PayPal conversion rate, I am better off getting it from the australian dealer shipped to New Zealand.
Yeah, the upgrade program isn't worth it for those who have a fairly new pair as the cost is almost similar to getting new, HFM just charge you the estimated difference between your current pair and the Sus. It may be worth it if you scored a pre-loved pair of HEKSE, but then getting a pre-loved Sus would still be better "value". Caveat is that the Sus could be the older version with the 2.5mm connectors at the cups instead of the new 3.5mm connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back