Hifiman HE1000-SE
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #511 of 5,189
My HE1000se left side is crackling and rattling at low volumes it’s sooooo bothersome 8(

I don’t know why it started doing this I’ve tried different source switching cables reversing headphones on head etc.... sigh

Watch Currowang's review on YouTube.com .. he address this issue on the Susvara (maybe it's the same as yours?):

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #512 of 5,189
I joined the college funding program for Fang's offspring. One fellow head-fier told me via pm that HEKse is above the Empyrean and find itself in Stax 009/Susvara/Abyss territory, and it is very underrated. I resisted to myself from making a blind purchase. But I became increasingly curious, and sold almost everything to get this.
The issue is that I was very disappointed with Sundara and Ananda, and never heard HEX, HEK, and others. Hopefully, I didn't make a dumb decision this time...
I just got my SE this week. To my ears, it is great right out of the box. A discernable improvement over my HEKv2.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #514 of 5,189
Your wish is granted, how might I be of assistance?

Welcome to the thread!

I'd love it if HiFiMAN released EQ curves for some of their headphones. Similar to what Audeze has done with their Reveal plugins, but just parametric EQ settings would be enough. You could maybe have 2 targets: a HiFiMan target and the Harman target.

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #515 of 5,189
@TeamHiFiMAN, I'm grateful for the upgrade program you offer from the v2 to the SE. It is a solid upgrade, and definitely worth the discounted price. Thanks for making that an option! :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #516 of 5,189
@TeamHiFiMAN, I'm grateful for the upgrade program you offer from the v2 to the SE. It is a solid upgrade, and definitely worth the discounted price. Thanks for making that an option! :)

Totally agree.

@TeamHiFiMAN you have a very loyal following here and we really appreciate your amazing headphones! I hope you stick around and become a consistent contributor to this and other Hifiman threads. Getting to truly know the Hifiman brand and people behind it would make me an even bigger fan.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #517 of 5,189
@kid vic you seem to really have it out for Hifiman. Do you have an axe to grind? Not that we can't discuss potential manufacturer faults in this thread if they pertain to the HEKse and may help someone make an informed buying decision, but man negative remarks are all you seem to be contributing and most of them seem to be speculation. For me this thread is meant to be mostly about impressions, questions, reviews etc about the HEKse. If you want to start a Hifiman hate thread please do it somewhere else, it's just getting kinda old to keep reading.

Regarding the drivers... if you've ever 1) listened to HEKse and/or 2) held the HEKse in your hands and looked at the drivers you'd know in a heartbeat that they are absolutely not the same drivers as the HEKv1 or v2. Trying to spread that rumor is ridiculous. Enough dude.

You must be misreading my posts if you think I dislike Hifiman; I love their headphones, I dislike some of their business practices. I'm not alone in that stance, maybe you read and digest my posts more thoroughly than the others?

If you had read the comments you would see that I didn't suggest that the drivers were the same for the HEKse and HEKv2. I suggested the Arya and HEKv2 SOUNDED identical (which has credibly been disproved), and I suggested the TUNING was the same or very close for the Arya and HEKse (which hifiman sort of addressed above), but it was someone else who thought the drivers were the same or identical.
I suggested that Hifiman would resell items returned for upgrade in a business practice I consider unethical.

Regarding the comments I made based off of speculation, I posted the video sources where I took the idea from. For various reasons only one of my local hifi shops carry hifiman products and the don't carry anything over the Ananda, however, I have heard the HEKv1&2 which is why I am so interested in the new iterations.

Now, I understand and respect that you might find my comments on Hifimans previous practices disparaging or distracting (I'll certainly tone it down after this post so as not to continue offending you) but I'm not really saying anything never before said on Head-fi. I think that Hifiman makes incredible headphones from a sonic perspective, I also think that they have much to address about the rest of their actions.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #518 of 5,189
Watch Currowang's review on YouTube.com .. he address this issue on the Susvara (maybe it's the same as yours?)
I've watched this video not too long ago, and can't understand how a crackling sound coming from the Susvara would would be any indication of burn in? Sound more like there was something wrong with the pair used for review. I also never read of anyone else experiencing this, including myself. Just makes absolutely no sense at all. I could be wrong, so @TeamHiFiMAN please enlighten me if this could be possible.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #519 of 5,189
Regarding the refurbished item quip (I said it, I should back it up), there is a massive difference between reselling a warranty return or an open box/demo unit and selling headphones received for a voluntary upgrade program. A system where a manufacturer is planning to profit off of one headphone two and a half times is not at all like fixing the cracked screen on an iPhone 6s, replacing it (free or for cost of repair) and selling it at a lowered price.
The allegation that they were selling the HEKv1&2 drivers as is in the HEKse is pretty wild as an allegation but the majority of the hifiman critiques are legitimate.

I see that HEKv2 is being sold as pre-owned by Adorama at Ebay. It has 90 days warranty. So it is easy to come ahead just buying that pre-owned one and upgrade to the HEKse, although you can do better by searching harder.
Then, I guess, the pre-owned one you bought just going back straight to Adorama and will be sold again as pre-owned, creating an interesting pattern of recycling.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #520 of 5,189
(Updated on 2/14 for clarity)

I've only had the HEKse out of the box for a few hours, but I do have some initial listening impressions when comparing them to my previous HEKv2:
  • Less laid-back, more forward sound
  • Bass is more controlled than v2 and has better attack and slam
  • Punchier sound... better suited for rock music and electronica than v2... definitely an improvement as an all-rounder pair of headphones
  • More clarity than v2... great for the jazz I've been listening to
  • Extended treble...it's definitely there but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet
  • Soundstage...it's different but I'm not sure how yet
  • Easier to drive...volume knob turned down from v2 levels
  • Midrange is a little too laid-back (I'm told it will improve as burn-in continues)
So far, so good. I think the sound of the headphones will change as burn-in progresses. As I get used to them, I will be able to comment on the stuff I'm not sure about now. I'm using a balanced Norne Audio Draug 3 copper cable that was made for my Beyerdynamics...a very good match for the HEKse, but I will need to get it reterminated at some point.
Hi. Thanks for your postings here.

From your initial impressions how are you now finding the “extended treble”?

Is it more or too energetic/aggressive/forward?

And you mentioned initially the v2 is more laid back but the hekse had laid back mids that you mentioned may be too much. How are you now findings the overall sound and particularly the mids?

Ia m enjoying the detailed laid back nature of the v2 and the treble is sometimes walking a fine line for me with some music in my setup so wondering what to expect with the hekse

Thanks

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #522 of 5,189
Hi. Thanks for your postings here.

From your initial impressions how are you now finding the “extended treble”?

Is it more or too energetic/aggressive/forward?

And you mentioned initially the v2 is more laid back but the hekse had laid back mids that you mentioned may be too much. How are you now findings the overall sound and particularly the mids?

I am enjoying the detailed laid back nature of the v2 and the treble is sometimes walking a fine line for me with some music in my setup so wondering what to expect with the hekse

Thanks

The worst thing I can say about the HEKse at this point is that it makes me want to upgrade my other equipment. It is the first headphone I have owned that is so well-rounded and so clear that I can hear the limitations of my audio chain. Before this, I heard @WilliamWykeham's HEKv2 with his Chord Blu and Dave and the clarity of that combination was so striking that I fantasized about taking out a reverse mortgage in order to purchase the Chord equipment (I'm half-kidding). Now I think that experience would have been even better had he owned an HEKse instead of an HEKv2. (Note: I have never owned any other upper-tier headphones [including the Susvara], so I'm not saying other headphones wouldn't be as good or better.)

The level of clarity I hear with the HEKse (and that I heard with the Chord equipment) is addictive. I want more of it, more musical layers peeled back, even faster transients, even more focus, even more definition (but not to the point of it sounding bright or sterile). Whatever extended treble and laid-back mids I heard at first have come in line with the rest of the audio spectrum. Moving to the SE from the v2 takes away some of the soundstage, as I've said before, but I don't care about that. I love the more forward, energetic, "fun" nature of the HEKse. It's so much more involving than the v2 with the music I love (Jazz, Classical, Rock, Alternative, Electronic, Ambient, Brazilian Music, World Music, 80s Synth Pop, 80s New Wave, 90s Grunge). I just want to jump back into the audiophile madness and buy a better amp, a better DAC, a better streamer -- even though I've paid off my credit cards (finally) and my mid-tier equipment is perfectly fine.

So if you'd ask me now to trade my HEKse for your HEKv2, I would grip them tightly to my chest and run far far away. I really liked the HEKv2 but it turned out they weren't quite what I wanted. The HEKse are much better than I expected them to be.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #523 of 5,189
The worst thing I can say about the HEKse at this point is that it makes me want to upgrade my other equipment. It is the first headphone I have owned that is so well-rounded and so clear that I can hear the limitations of my audio chain. Before this, I heard @WilliamWykeham's HEKv2 with his Chord Blu and Dave and the clarity of that combination was so striking that I fantasized about taking out a reverse mortgage in order to purchase the Chord equipment (I'm half-kidding). Now I think that experience would have been even better had he owned an HEKse instead of an HEKv2. (Note: I have never owned any other upper-tier headphones [including the Susvara], so I'm not saying other headphones wouldn't be as good or better.)

The level of clarity I hear with the HEKse (and that I heard with the Chord equipment) is addictive. I want more of it, more musical layers peeled back, even faster transients, even more focus, even more definition (but not to the point of it sounding bright or sterile). Whatever extended treble and laid-back mids I heard at first have come in line with the rest of the audio spectrum. Moving to the SE from the v2 takes away some of the soundstage, as I've said before, but I don't care about that. I love the more forward, energetic, "fun" nature of the HEKse. It's so much more involving than the v2 with the music I love (Jazz, Classical, Rock, Alternative, Electronic, Ambient, Brazilian Music, World Music, 80s Synth Pop, 80s New Wave, 90s Grunge). I just want to jump back into the audiophile madness and buy a better amp, a better DAC, a better streamer -- even though I've paid off my credit cards (finally) and my mid-tier equipment is perfectly fine.

So if you'd ask me now to trade my HEKse for your HEKv2, I would grip them tightly to my chest and run far far away. I really liked the HEKv2 but it turned out they weren't quite what I wanted. The HEKse are much better than I expected them to be.
Great info - cheers

What you’re saying (the feelings you’re expressing) is what i want from the hekse upgrade. But i do like the laid back element of the hekv2 with it’s detail

I agree about wanting to upgrade your gear. I feel the same with the v2 but that’s sitting ok with me for now

Interesting that you’ve put the adjectives of forward and energetic together with “fun” (specifically). I take it from that that it is very well balanced. And still has some laid back nature or at least not in your face??

So am i right to guess that it’s not like the utopia that makes sure you know it’s there and wakes you up and slaps you around to attention - well it did for me yesterday when re demoing it with the hugott. I was having an easy saturday afternoon and after 6 minutes of that i was exhausted.

As a comparison to your description of the v2 i would not describe the hd800 as fun but i do see it as very entertaining and detailed.

Edit: it was the hugott and not tt2 that i was listening to (post amended)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #524 of 5,189

For long term usability of your SE, I highly recommend upgrading everything down the chain as that does indeed makes sense. I myself am planning to get something like the TT2 with a Danacable for the SE with some other minor necessities.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #525 of 5,189

I think your amp/dacs are already quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back