Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #61 of 5,189
I'm surely not the authority on the topic, but 4z might work better for you. To say 4Z is full does not imply that v2/se are thin, but in comparison 4z has a warmer rich tone. It's exceptionally efficient as well. Even more so than SE.

i am sorry to ask in what areas you find the SE excels over 4z and vice versa

i gotta make a decision between those 3

V2 can be bought for good prices as i seen some sell used ones for 1250-1500 usd

SE needs to justify the high price tag as well as 4z

I own hifiman edition x v2 and want to move forward with an upgrade

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #62 of 5,189
its so difficult to make decisions based on impressions from others, especially when there is no store to audition such expensive headphones locally.

can i take it from your words thar SE is not a thin sounding headphones and is close to v2, as the last I would like is a headphone with thin mids or vocals
Tonally SE is very close to V2. Neither are thin. My use of the word "thin" was only in comparison to V2 and I hesitated to use it there (thinner = cleaner well behaved bass). To me the HEK sound is more natural and akin to live music than the LCD-4z, but as I said, I only listen to acoustic music where room acoustics, subtle details and nuance rule the day. If I was into metal or EDM maybe I'd choose something else, but I can't say for sure. Make a decision between the families. LED vs HEK. Two killer HP groups, but different ways of doing things. If you land on HEK, you can't go wrong with any of them. V2 will save you some money, SE will avoid the need for an amp.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #63 of 5,189
I've owned all of the usual TOTL HP's, Sr-009, HD800, HD800s, LCD-4, LCD-4Z, LCD-XC, LCD-i4, Utopia, Abyss Phi CC, and of course Susvara and HE1000v2. Excluding the Phi, which I just received a month ago, v2 was my favorite HP.

The SE's take all that I liked about v2 and improve upon it. It's not a night and day difference, but they are definitely different. They really seem to be a more efficient Susvara. The bass is better controlled with more detail than v2. The sound stage width is reduced from the v2 a bit, but this is a good thing. With the v2 I felt the sound stage was a little too wide at times and imaging suffered.

So a narrower soundstage compared to the V2, which itself had a more narrow stage compared to the original V1.
Definitely seems to be heading one way with the changes.

BTW did you really prefer the V2 over all your HP, even the Abyss? I always got the impression they shared a similar tuned sound signature.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #64 of 5,189
can i ask which has richer vocals lcd 4z, v2 or SE
i like more organic full body sound signatures and no fatigue in upper mids or highs

I think EndGameSearch described them very well. I did not hear 4z and SE. But I did v1, v2, Susvara all from meeting (hard from ideal opinion but better hear them than not) and LCDX at home in past, LCD4 in shop.
I think you might answer your question do you like more LCDX or HEX from your colection?
It is obvious to me that both of these brands keeps similar character in their own lines.
Audeze mascular, visceral, powerfull, more deep and still acurate and clear background, and it feels sometimes like a little semi open hp with iem imagine in blood, I think LCDX have the best energy at least for me and tonality from all LCD (do not know how 4z). HiFiMAN still natural planar sound as Audeze but in comparison too Audeze HiFiMAN have less body, more open, more air, sound more lost from head, more spacious, definitely much better comfort. v1 were sure more warm than v2. If I have to pick hp I mentioned I would pick v1 over LCDX, clearly more adult sound. But LCDX is quite universal in my eyes and 4z would be clearly in higher level, and if SE is easier drive it could be really great.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #65 of 5,189
I think EndGameSearch described them very well. I did not hear 4z and SE. But I did v1, v2, Susvara all from meeting (hard from ideal opinion but better hear them than not) and LCDX at home in past, LCD4 in shop.
I think you might answer your question do you like more LCDX or HEX from your colection?
It is obvious to me that both of these brands keeps similar character in their own lines.
Audeze mascular, visceral, powerfull, more deep and still acurate and clear background, and it feels sometimes like a little semi open hp with iem imagine in blood, I think LCDX have the best energy at least for me and tonality from all LCD (do not know how 4z). HiFiMAN still natural planar sound as Audeze but in comparison too Audeze HiFiMAN have less body, more open, more air, sound more lost from head, more spacious, definitely much better comfort. v1 were sure more warm than v2. If I have to pick hp I mentioned I would pick v1 over LCDX, clearly more adult sound. But LCDX is quite universal in my eyes and 4z would be clearly in higher level, and if SE is easier drive it could be really great.

True, the X is very universal sounding, it makes everything sound very good, but the HEKV1 i had along it (later on modded abit) was alot different and was less suited for some modern genres like EDM, rap or metal, where its awesome airiness just wasnt right and the clear, more intimate sound of the X was perfect. On the other hand every sound and recording living of its spacesnious and complexity like classical was absolutely stunning and lifelike. Its hard to compare them IMO, it really comes down the sound one listens to primarly.

can i ask which has richer vocals lcd 4z, v2 or SE
i like more organic full body sound signatures and no fatigue in upper mids or highs

Your second sentence IS the 4z in perfection hehe. I would only consider the Hifimans there if my primary sound was classical, for other genres i think the 4z will suit your tastes more. Now this might get harder if the Susvara is also considered.

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #67 of 5,189
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #70 of 5,189
I owned both HE1000 and 1000V2 and glad that I got rid of them. No, the V2 sounded quite great but I refuse to give him my money any more. You will be lucky to get even $1100 from the HE1000 these days so who would want to buy the HE1000 V2 now? Feel bad for the retailers as well. They will have a tough time getting rid of their 1000 V2 stock.

Good point/s guys; quick, new model introductions, magnificent price fluctuations are an uninspiring combination for pricey offerings.

With that said, if you were willing to shell-out $2-$5K on can's -and were worried/concerned/hoping to regain a large percentage ROI, it may be best to think/urchase more modestly.
On the other hand, if one, specific model was the one (after all the searching/listening) was the real deal, and affordability not a concern, one shold remain content that they found -and are enjoying- a high quality product.
For those more price sensitive (the majority I suspect), it may be wise to start with the excllent 400i ($200-$300) wait, listen , compare, wait-a-bit-more and when/if pricing becomes acceptable -make the leap to something more sopisticated; and you'll still have an excellent back-up in the 400i's.

pj

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #73 of 5,189
Good point/s guys; quick, new model introductions, magnificent price fluctuations are an uninspiring combination for pricey offerings.

With that said, if you were willing to shell-out $2-$5K on can's -and were worried/concerned/hoping to regain a large percentage ROI, it may be best to think/urchase more modestly.
On the other hand, if one, specific model was the one (after all the searching/listening) was the real deal, and affordability not a concern, one shold remain content that they found -and are enjoying- a high quality product.
For those more price sensitive (the majority I suspect), it may be wise to start with the excllent 400i ($200-$300) wait, listen , compare, wait-a-bit-more and when/if pricing becomes acceptable -make the leap to something more sopisticated; and you'll still have an excellent back-up in the 400i's.

pj

I agree completely.Went from He400i to HE1000 v2 after 3 happy years with the former which is still an excellent headphone and my favourite from HFM family. IMO HE400i is around 90-95% as good as HE1000 V2 or Utopia.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #74 of 5,189
I agree completely.Went from He400i to HE1000 v2 after 3 happy years with the former which is still an excellent headphone and my favourite from HFM family. IMO HE400i is around 90-95% as good as HE1000 V2 or Utopia.

What does it mean to measure "goodness" in percentages for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back