Hifiman HE1000-SE
Mar 11, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #676 of 5,189
I'd love a comparison between the SE and the Abyss Diana. Then again I don't see myself buying either of those, though I did at one point. :p

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #677 of 5,189
I can definitely hear what you mean about recessed vocals on the Empyrean and it does sightly bother me even though I love the rest of the sound.

The main thing stopping me jumping on the SE is the bass quantity. I do love a decent quantity of bass and that is the main reason I moved on from the Ether Flows as I wanted a bit more, just a little bit mind. I am getting the feeling I would probably find the SE a bit too low in this department despite liking the treble and mids... Such a pain not being able to listen to them anywhere! I think quantity between the Empyrean and the Ether Flow 1.0 would be perfect for me.

Once again, mine are still burning in, but the SE has more bass than the HEK V2. But it definitely has less than the Empyrean. The bass quality of the SE is higher quality than the Empyrean in my opinion. It has less quantity, but comes through clearer.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #678 of 5,189
Once again, mine are still burning in, but the SE has more bass than the HEK V2. But it definitely has less than the Empyrean. The bass quality of the SE is higher quality than the Empyrean in my opinion. It has less quantity, but comes through clearer.

That sounds pretty good although I only ever tried the V1 not the V2 but it seems like they are progressively increasing the bass with each revision. Less bass than the Empyrean isn't necessarily a bad thing just as long as it isn't crazy less. Looking at some of the FR graphs online it looks like the bass is pretty flat until around 40hz and even then it only drops a little bit past then. A lot of the reviews say the bass only sounds lower because the mids are more prominent. It is all relative right?

I guess I really need to try and get a demo unit from someone... Lets see what I can do lol.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #679 of 5,189
That's interesting .. so the sound-signature of the SE is more forward than the V2, yet the SE has a more recessed mid-range than the V2... and even though the treble is more forward as well it is less bright than the V2...

Is there a emoji where I can roll my eyes?

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #680 of 5,189
That's interesting .. so the sound-signature of the SE is more forward than the V2, yet the SE has a more recessed mid-range than the V2... and even though the treble is more forward as well it is less bright than the V2...

Is there a emoji where I can roll my eyes?

The SE is absolutely less bright than the V2, but also sounds more detailed and clearer. Neither the V2 or SE have a recessed midrange. They are more alike than different. It’s just that the SE is a little better everywhere. It fixes the small issues of the HEK that are well known. The bass is tighter, the treble splashiness is tamed, and everything sounds clearer and more detailed. It’s easier to drive. They both sound great. The SE sounds better.

Maybe substitute clearer, in place of forward. Hope that helps.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #681 of 5,189
The SE is just better. The end :roll eyes:

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #683 of 5,189
I can definitely hear what you mean about recessed vocals on the Empyrean and it does sightly bother me even though I love the rest of the sound.

The main thing stopping me jumping on the SE is the bass quantity. I do love a decent quantity of bass and that is the main reason I moved on from the Ether Flows as I wanted a bit more, just a little bit mind. I am getting the feeling I would probably find the SE a bit too low in this department despite liking the treble and mids... Such a pain not being able to listen to them anywhere! I think the quantity between the Empyrean and the Ether Flow 1.0 would be perfect for me.
For my ears, the SE bass "quantity" is just right. I like bass that is true to the source and natural. The SE is true with a wide variety of music genres. Yesterday, I ran them through a couple of hours of Led Zepplin and Metalica. The bass was tight and it sounded true THe bass decays quickly so you hear each note distinctly: no smearing or bleeding. Instrument and voice placement was accurate. FRom being at live concerts or watching videos of live concerts, you get a feel for where the musicians are. That is what you get from the SE. I can say the same for acoustic jazz and classical. You hear what is feed through the source. The sound is linear: no peaks or valleys.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #684 of 5,189
For my ears, the SE bass "quantity" is just right. I like bass that is true to the source and natural. The SE is true with a wide variety of music genres. Yesterday, I ran them through a couple of hours of Led Zepplin and Metalica. The bass was tight and it sounded true THe bass decays quickly so you hear each note distinctly: no smearing or bleeding. Instrument and voice placement was accurate. FRom being at live concerts or watching videos of live concerts, you get a feel for where the musicians are. That is what you get from the SE. I can say the same for acoustic jazz and classical. You hear what is feed through the source. The sound is linear: no peaks or valleys.

I appreciate the feedback but the problem with use of the phrase "just right" is it is incredibly subject because everyone has different issues with their hearing or different feelings on how music should sound. For reference I got my ears checked on Saturday (albeit with a cold so my ears didn't feel quite right) and apparently I am a few dB down from around 500hz compared to nominal hearing but my high frequency hearing is perfect...

For that reason I find comparative feedback far more useful because then you have a known bass level gauge from. I know what the Empyrean and Ether Flows sound like so information based on them would be helpful. Although I might have found a dealer that can do a home demo so that would be perfect!

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #685 of 5,189
I appreciate the feedback but the problem with use of the phrase "just right" is it is incredibly subject because everyone has different issues with their hearing or different feelings on how music should sound. For reference I got my ears checked on Saturday (albeit with a cold so my ears didn't feel quite right) and apparently I am a few dB down from around 500hz compared to nominal hearing but my high frequency hearing is perfect...

For that reason I find comparative feedback far more useful because then you have a known bass level gauge from. I know what the Empyrean and Ether Flows sound like so information based on them would be helpful. Although I might have found a dealer that can do a home demo so that would be perfect!

I believe that most people have said that the bass quantity on the SE is the same as it is on the HEKv2 but is more tight. I own the HEKv2 and I would say that it has a more rounded, soft hitting bass that's really textured as compared to an Audeze LCD-2C bass which is rounded, hits with a lot of weight and is textured. I think the HEKv2 (probably very similar to the SE) has acceptable levels of bass, but it's nothing that ever makes me go "hey, I'm really enjoying this bass on this particular track" because the sound-signature of the HiFiMAN HEK series is more cohesive than anything. The bass definitely does not stand out, but you know it is there.

Then again, I would say that nothing has come close to the bass impact and tightness of the Fostex TH-900. I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes it was like the bass felt sibilant. :p

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #686 of 5,189

You might also want to consider Audeze headphones if you don't mind their weights (around 600g). Audeze headphones has bass quantity more than neutral. The last time I did comparisons, the bass quantity in the LCD4z was comparable to the one in the Empyrean, but the LCD4z didn't have recessed mid-range.
MrSpeakers' products have neutral bass overall. Ether 2 has a massive bass section, but in terms of quantity, its bass is neutral. Probably slightly above neutral, but in terms of quantity, the Empyrean and the LCD4z had more.
I know that bass quantity in LCD series is more than neutral from my experience. Once I put in place the Sonarworks' Reference 4 plug-in (which targets the flat FR) with the LCD2 closed-back I borrowed, it significantly reduces its mid-bass.
The other option is using EQ to boost bass. In the last few days, I was impressed with Reference 4 plug-in with the LCD2 closed-back. It is pretty damn good.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #687 of 5,189
If the bass is prominent on a track, it’s prominent and well represented on the SE. The SE isn’t going to make any bass light tracks suddenly sound like they have deep bass. For those looking for bass emphasis look elsewhere. For those looking for bass to sound like the track intended, sound natural, reach deep when called upon, have incredible texture, remain tight, then SE is for you.

There seems to be a lot of repetition of the same kind of questions in this thread. I never want to stifle anyone’s curiosity, and the forum is all about learning, but I’d argue there are now numerous valuable reviews and insights from actual SE owners providing quality answers to just about all of the questions I’m seeing again and again. Before asking questions at least read even just the last 10 pages or so and the insights will be there. And if you’re still on the fence and trying to formulate your opinion after that you’ll just have to figure out a way to demo them or bite the bullet and buy a pair.

This isn’t pointed at any one individual btw. Just a general comment about the questions I’ve been reading over the past few weeks. There’s enough feedback here from SE owners that we can probably curtail the speculating and assumptions at this point.

Here’s the big takeaway... if you liked the v1 and/or v2 you will like the SE even more (a LOT more). Say what you want about their business practices, but Hifiman listened to us and improved everything we wanted that was lacking in the v2, while maintaining the house sound and inherent qualities we love. Most everyone who upgraded has said it’s well worth it, and many of those people have or had other summit-fi cans that allow them to come to this informed favorable conclusion of the SE (Utopia, HD800s, LCD4, Empyrean, Ether 2, Susvara, Verite). I really haven’t read a bad review of the SE, whereas just about every other summit-fi headphone has some seemingly honest critics (maybe Verite as the exception, haven’t really seen anyone who has been harsh about it). What else do ya need to know?!? :)

Now I’m the one repeating myself here, but I’ll finish by saying the one thing I’m disappointed in about the SE purchase is the damn cable is kinda pathetic. Man oh man I can’t stand it. If the physical texture of the cable was better I’d at least keep it with me as a backup or something, but I really can’t stand to use it. Feels cheap and the rubbery texture is awful in use. The sound quality isn’t crap, the SE still sounds impressive, but after you’ve tried an aftermarket cable you quickly realize the stock cable doesn’t come close to doing this headphone justice.

Sorry, I had a lot of coffee this morning so my one or two thoughts turned into a bit of a rant. Happy Monday!

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #688 of 5,189
I believe that most people have said that the bass quantity on the SE is the same as it is on the HEKv2 but is more tight. I own the HEKv2 and I would say that it has a more rounded, soft hitting bass that's really textured as compared to an Audeze LCD-2C bass which is rounded, hits with a lot of weight and is textured. I think the HEKv2 (probably very similar to the SE) has acceptable levels of bass, but it's nothing that ever makes me go "hey, I'm really enjoying this bass on this particular track" because the sound-signature of the HiFiMAN HEK series is more cohesive than anything. The bass definitely does not stand out, but you know it is there.

Then again, I would say that nothing has come close to the bass impact and tightness of the Fostex TH-900. I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes it was like the bass felt sibilant. :p

To my ears, the SE seems to have a little more bass presence than the HEK V2. Or it’s possible that the quantity is exactly the same but it just comes through more clearly, because that’s what the SE does. It makes everything sound clear (sorry Focal). But at the least, it definitely doesn’t have less bass than the V2. So if you’ve heard the V2, you know what to expect in terms of quantity. I hope that comparison helps.

Sorry I quoted the wrong person. This should be @Rowethren

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #689 of 5,189
For those who have aftermarket cables that were made for the V1 and V2, which 2.5mm (female) to 3.5mm (male) adapters are you using for the SE, or which ones do you recommend?

Also to what extent can adapters compromise or color the sound of a particular cable? By the way I typically use pure silver or pure copper OCC litz cables from Norne Audio for my He-1000, and I'd rather not send all my cables back to Norne audio in order to be reterminated for the He-KSE, if i can help it, which is why I am asking... Of course I wouldn't want adapters to compromise the sound either....

Thanks.

I’m not an expert, thou I believe that the connectors and how they are assembled with the wires is important and it’s why Norne Audio et al use better connectors on their better cables. How much one pair of adapters will compromise SQ depends on the cable i9n question and the adapter. A quality adapter probably not that much, a low quality adapter probably more than we would like. Maybe ask your trusted cable maker and see what he/she has to say. The general rule is less connectors is better in analogue audio.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #690 of 5,189
If the bass is prominent on a track, it’s prominent and well represented on the SE. The SE isn’t going to make any bass light tracks suddenly sound like they have deep bass. For those looking for bass emphasis look elsewhere. For those looking for bass to sound like the track intended, sound natural, reach deep when called upon, have incredible texture, remain tight, then SE is for you.

There seems to be a lot of repetition of the same kind of questions in this thread. I never want to stifle anyone’s curiosity, and the forum is all about learning, but I’d argue there are now numerous valuable reviews and insights from actual SE owners providing quality answers to just about all of the questions I’m seeing again and again. Before asking questions at least read even just the last 10 pages or so and the insights will be there. And if you’re still on the fence and trying to formulate your opinion after that you’ll just have to figure out a way to demo them or bite the bullet and buy a pair.

This isn’t pointed at any one individual btw. Just a general comment about the questions I’ve been reading over the past few weeks. There’s enough feedback here from SE owners that we can probably curtail the speculating and assumptions at this point.

Here’s the big takeaway... if you liked the v1 and/or v2 you will like the SE even more (a LOT more). Say what you want about their business practices, but Hifiman listened to us and improved everything we wanted that was lacking in the v2, while maintaining the house sound and inherent qualities we love. Most everyone who upgraded has said it’s well worth it, and many of those people have or had other summit-fi cans that allow them to come to this informed favorable conclusion of the SE (Utopia, HD800s, LCD4, Empyrean, Ether 2, Susvara, Verite). I really haven’t read a bad review of the SE, whereas just about every other summit-fi headphone has some seemingly honest critics (maybe Verite as the exception, haven’t really seen anyone who has been harsh about it). What else do ya need to know?!? :)

Now I’m the one repeating myself here, but I’ll finish by saying the one thing I’m disappointed in about the SE purchase is the damn cable is kinda pathetic. Man oh man I can’t stand it. If the physical texture of the cable was better I’d at least keep it with me as a backup or something, but I really can’t stand to use it. Feels cheap and the rubbery texture is awful in use. The sound quality isn’t crap, the SE still sounds impressive, but after you’ve tried an aftermarket cable you quickly realize the stock cable doesn’t come close to doing this headphone justice.

Sorry, I had a lot of coffee this morning so my one or two thoughts turned into a bit of a rant. Happy Monday!

Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back