Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #421 of 5,189
Hi i am thinking of upgrading my hekv2 also. So they send you a retail box hekse? How long is the turn around? You use usps signature confirmation and insurance. Thanks

The turn-around depends on when they get the HEKv2 package and where you live. I live in DC, which is pretty close to their US warehouse in NJ. I sent my v2 to them on Friday via UPS. I did not insure the package. They got my v2 on Monday and dispatched the HEKse the same day. I got the new headphones on Wednesday night.

If you live outside of North America, they have pickup points in the UK and Japan, and the new headphones will ship to you from China. More info here: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-upgrade-to-he1000-se.html

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #422 of 5,189
The turn-around depends on when they get the HEKv2 package and where you live. I live in DC, which is pretty close to their US warehouse in NJ. I sent my v2 to them on Friday via UPS. I did not insure the package. They got my v2 on Monday and dispatched the HEKse the same day. I got the new headphones on Wednesday night.

If you live outside of North America, they have pickup points in the UK and Japan, and the new headphones will ship to you from China. More info here: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-upgrade-to-he1000-se.html
Should i ship my headphone back with insurance and signature confirmation.will it delay the upgrade process. Thanks

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #423 of 5,189
Should i ship my headphone back with insurance and signature confirmation.will it delay the upgrade process. Thanks

If you want to do that, you can. It won't slow anything down.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #424 of 5,189
Thanks

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #425 of 5,189
I am highly impressed w/ the SE so far. I was looking for a complement to my Verite and I think these may be it. Other notable contenders which I recently owned (and now sold) include Utopia, 4Z, Empyrean, Ether 2, HD800S, HEKv2. I plan to stick w/ DAVE direct for the foreseeable future so I have no consideration for more power hungry cans like Abyss and Susvara. As an ex-HEKv2 user, I ultimately sold it because the treble got a touch etchy at times and mids felt slightly thin/recessed. I think the SE improves upon both those 'flaws'/nuances while keeping that same seductive airy signature which I love about the HEK series. More refined/smoother treble and fleshier mids in comparison. I also recall the HEKv2 being more laid back whereas the SE seems more energetic/forward/dynamic. I am not a big basshead so never pay much attention to bass, but I have no complaints on that front. I always felt HEK comes closest to Stax 009 signature, in terms of non-electrostats. With regards to Verite, I still consider it one of the best I have used. Not necesarily in terms of technical proficiency but simply musicality and the way it's presentation fosters emotion. This type of allure seems to underscore all ZMF cans to some degree, maybe it's the wood. I consider Verite fast like Utopia and organic like LCD4, overall much warmer and darker than the SE which provides a lovely contrasting sound for me. Nice Yin and Yang effect w/ the Verite and SE that should cover all my genres and moods. I had the Empyrean most recently prior to the SE and at the risk being too critical I have to admit I was underwhelmed given all the hype. I feel much differently w/ the SE, looks to be a keeper for me. Last but not least I also think it is one of the most attractive aesthetic in the headphone market, I consider it subtle elegance. Don't get me started on this stock cable though, yikes...

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190220231929443_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #426 of 5,189
The crazy-good clarity of the HEKse has changed my preferences with regards to my equipment. For the first time, I prefer the solid-state mode of my iCan Pro over the two tubed modes because I can hear that the tubed modes smear the sound a bit. The tubed modes sounded great with the v2, but not with the SE. And my RME ADI-2 Pro AE (used as a DAC/amp) no longer pulls ahead of the Holo Spring/iCan Pro combo with regard to detail and crispness, even in high-power mode. The Holo/iCan combo has just as much detail and adds more body to the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #427 of 5,189
If you want to do that, you can. It won't slow anything down.
So you don't regret upgrading to SE? I hope i won't regret either! So SE sound great with on solid state vs tube on ifi ican pro. I wanted to get the susvara but i don't know if its worth Double the price. I feel the v2 is to soft for my taste and hope the SE will be more detail. Thanks

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #428 of 5,189
I wanted to get the susvara but i don't know if its worth Double the price.

I’ve owned the HEKse for a few months now and I’ve auditioned the Susvara on multiple occasions. I will not say that the HEKse is a “better” headphone, but this is the definition of diminishing returns to me. I’ve found that the HEKse and Susvara share very similar overall sound characteristics and the main difference to me is that the Susvara’s presentation is a bit more effortless... this was great with some genres but with others I actually preferred the HEKse slightly more energetic sound. To me the build quality is equal. A final consideration and a big one to me is how easy it is to drive the HEKse. Given the high price of Susvara I expect that the HEKse is going to cannibalize most of Susvara sale. I for one wouldn’t even consider paying the premium for Susvara.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #429 of 5,189
So you don't regret upgrading to SE? I hope i won't regret either! So SE sound great with on solid state vs tube on ifi ican pro. I wanted to get the susvara but i don't know if its worth Double the price. I feel the v2 is to soft for my taste and hope the SE will be more detail. Thanks

I have no regrets. I really liked the v2, but to be honest, it was so laid-back that it wasn't very engaging on rock, electronica, etc. I had other headphones that fulfilled that role, but I really wanted to have one great all-rounder. The HEKse does that for me.
As far as the Susvara goes, I've never heard it, so I can't offer any advice there. But I think the $1K I spent on the upgrade to the HEKse was money very well spent (which is rare in this hobby).

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #430 of 5,189
I just upgraded my DAC/amp from iFi Micro iDSD BL to iFi Pro iDSD. With the single-ended connection the sound was already quite a bit better than with the Micro BL, but when using the balanced connection it takes the HE1000se to a whole another level! Definitely a worthy upgrade and a great pairing with the HE1000se. I'm temporarily using the balanced stock cable and a 4.4 mm female - 2.5 mm male -adapter, but after I get my Grand 20 core cable back with the balanced 2.5 mm plug the sound should get even better!

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #433 of 5,189
Feb 23, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #434 of 5,189
Been burning in the SE for the past 10 days each night while I sleep and while I’m away at work... guys please make sure you let this headphone burn in before making any critical assessment... WOW. I feel kinda bad for even offering my thoughts prematurely.

I loved it out of the box and after a few days of burn in I estimated about 5% improvement, but after about 100-150 hours of burn-in I can confidently say that the improvement to my ears is about 8-10% better. Sounds crazy but I swear. Easiest way to describe it is that the entire sound has just bloomed. Everything is smooth but defined, the stage is bigger, smoother highs, lower lows, full mids. Maybe this is standard across headphones after burn-in, but I’ve never experienced it quite to this extent. It’s kinda like any tool I’ve ever had that was top of the line and built with extremely tight tolerances and after some use became smooth as butter.

The soundstage in particular I’m impressed with because at first it felt a touch closed in compared to the HEKv2. This made for amazing imaging/3D but I missed a little bit of the openness. Well after burn-in it’s right where it needs to be. Not as big as the HEKv2 but not in any way compressed. Also, I really can’t believe how lifelike instruments sound. Piano, violin, guitar, drums, horns, bells etc. The portrayal of instruments is just so real and organic. The details are spot on while treble never getting harsh, the mids are meaty while never bloated. The bass reaches low but never boomy. It’s just perfectly balanced. However I can absolutely say that for some that may like some elements of their sound accentuated this is probably not the headphone for you. If you like a balanced, controlled, composed sound with depth, texture, realism and that still has great energy then get the SE. That element of energy is one things I’m finding really separates the HEKse from the HEKv2. Loved the HEKv2 but by comparison now it feels almost a bit too polite with certain music like rock and hip-hop.

Apologies for my enthusiasm but that’s just how I am when I like something and it really comes together for me after a lot of effort. I’ve been listening to pop, jazz, blues, classic rock and classical for the past two hours and I’m in sound heaven!

I’m using both the stock cable and the Lazuli Reference cable terminated in 3.5mm. Most of my comments on how I feel about the SE are with me using the Lazuli Reference.

While I hate the rubbery texture/feel of the stock cable, it actually compliments the SE very well and I can see many people being content with it. I am very pleasantly surprised. Since the SE has great sensitivity I’ve been listening very contently directly from my phone in bed at night which I never even dreamt of doing with the HEKv2. However, the Lazuli Reference adds greater balance, composure and depth to the sound that I really enjoy. I would say if you want a little more treble energy to the sound plug in the stock cable and if you want what I consider the perfect reference sound use the Lazuli Refence.
10 days is 240 hours....no?

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #435 of 5,189
10 days is 240 hours....no?

I suppose so lol. I’ll have to check my math next time for those fact checkers out there :wink: I was checking throughout the burn-in process. I never just burn-I’m and wait, it too hard not to listen. So my burn in always involves me listening as I’m able throughout. So after roughly 150 hours there was a nice jump in sound quality to my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back