Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #10,216 of 14,626
It is suspiciously cheap…! Just joking, considering the gospel that the more expensive equals better sound quality.
Fully agree, cables make a difference especially with Hifiman cables.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #10,217 of 14,626
I Did try a Luna cable zone years back, review sample, was really nice sounding. Also cost about $700, loved it, didn't buy it.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #10,218 of 14,626
Until last week I was stuck for way too long,with exactly the same type mini-jack but definitely NOT optimal stock cable as in your photo,for my HEKV2 after having three other stock cables die on me.
But now I have connected an OFC upgrade cable that has taken my HEKV2 into what I remember as Susvara territory.

Wow! Fuller, warmer even more detailed and not even a hint of sibilance or overbrightness or thinness that the mini-jack stock cable suffered from.
The orginal full size stock cables where ok and better than the mini-jack one,but now ...Wow...
I was not prepared for or at all expecting such a big improvement.

I am SO HAPPY with the SQ of my HEKV2 after this change/upgrade, that I both happily returned the HEDDphone I had on home loan for a month, and do not even see any need for a Susvara.
For those who claim that cables do not really matter I have one thing to say: They do not know what they are talking about.
I have never heard my HEKV2 sound this good before!
150USD for the new 9 feet OFC cable, and it is like having made a major headphone upgrade while still having the same headphones as before!
Cheers CC
So where can I buy this cable??

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #10,219 of 14,626
So where can I buy this cable??
There are lots of upgrade cables for the HEKV2 .The one I bought on special order ie 2,5mm plugs instead of the now sturdier 3,5mm plugs used with newer models from HIFI Man, was made by ZMF and is their 9 feet OFC cable with the large headphone plug so no need for an adapter with my main headphone amps either.
I have heard the HEKV2 and the HEKSE with some more expensive silver cables too, but I found that they had a tendency to exaggerate the slight over-brigthness and sibilance problems of the stock cables so I stuck with the stock cables until know..
I have only heard ZMF headphones briefly in HIFI shops in Singapore and KL but I was not as impressed by any of those, as by the HEKV2 or Susvara then. But they sure seem to know how to make a good transparent cable that makes my old HEKV2 really sing again.
In fact so good that the last couple of days I haven´t even played anything via my main system with big electrostatic speakers.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #10,220 of 14,626
Have a HE1000 V1 and works well for me, it's not technically there with my other HP Utopia to my ears but it gives a variety to listen. As you may know, Hifiman have an upgrade program to buy HE1000 SE for all HE1000 V1/V2 owners, it's an upgrade of $1500 once you return your current HP. Heard SE is good in many areas such as speed, bass, staging, extended treble , details . Can you please recommend if it is worth the upgrade for $1500 or do I keep HE1000 V1 and get another HP like say Abyss 1266 TC?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #10,221 of 14,626
Have a HE1000 V1 and works well for me, it's not technically there with my other HP Utopia to my ears but it gives a variety to listen. As you may know, Hifiman have an upgrade program to buy HE1000 SE for all HE1000 V1/V2 owners, it's an upgrade of $1500 once you return your current HP. Heard SE is good in many areas such as speed, bass, staging, extended treble , details . Can you please recommend if it is worth the upgrade for $1500 or do I keep HE1000 V1 and get another HP like say Abyss 1266 TC?
I kept my V2s because I like them a lot and I feel it is not worth spending that amount of money for an upgrade that will result in a marginal improvement.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #10,222 of 14,626
I also decided to stick with v1 given I like the way it sounds with my EQ setting. I have no way of hearing an SE and I don't usually buy things I have never heard before. The last thing I want is to spend money on a side grade or down grade.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #10,223 of 14,626
I also decided to stick with v1 given I like the way it sounds with my EQ setting. I have no way of hearing an SE and I don't usually buy things I have never heard before. The last thing I want is to spend money on a side grade or down grade.

Appreciate the thoughts and does make sense ! When I listened to V2, I thought it was a side grade of V1 and not an upgrade, V2 was less warmer with less mid treble spike and had a faster decay. So I tried to stick with V1 but I have not heard of HE1000 SE though and I don't think it is easy to audition considering the situation in the world. You are right that I unfortunately have to blind buy SE if I have to go for it

The Audiophile community is tossed between two popular sentiments with HE1000 SE.

Popular opinion #1) SE is marginal / may be 15% upgrade over the previous versions so not worth to upgrade
Popular opinion #2) SE is faster than even V2 and great for EDM, better dynamics than even V2, better sub bass than even V1, better bass layering, great sound stage than both V1/V2, much more extended treble than even V2, noticeable better details than both so worth to upgrade it

So I have been reading these two popular opinions in the reviews from the hobbyists and confused now where to lean towards :)

Any other HE1000 SE & previous version owners who can give some more perspective here please ?

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #10,224 of 14,626
Appreciate the thoughts and does make sense ! When I listened to V2, I thought it was a side grade of V1 and not an upgrade, V2 was less warmer with less mid treble spike and had a faster decay. So I tried to stick with V1 but I have not heard of HE1000 SE though and I don't think it is easy to audition considering the situation in the world. You are right that I unfortunately have to blind buy SE if I have to go for it

The Audiophile community is tossed between two popular sentiments with HE1000 SE.

Popular opinion #1) SE is marginal / may be 15% upgrade over the previous versions so not worth to upgrade
Popular opinion #2) SE is faster than even V2 and great for EDM, better dynamics than even V2, better sub bass than even V1, better bass layering, great sound stage than both V1/V2, much more extended treble than even V2, noticeable better details than both so worth to upgrade it

So I have been reading these two popular opinions in the reviews from the hobbyists and confused now where to lean towards :)

Any other HE1000 SE & previous version owners who can give some more perspective here please ?
15% improvement would already be huge and not marginal. SE never is so much better than the V2 imo. It's a sidegrade and not an upgrade.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #10,225 of 14,626
15% improvement would already be huge and not marginal. SE never is so much better than the V2 imo. It's a sidegrade and not an upgrade.
While I really enjoy my SE, and don't regret the buy/sell swap from my v2, I will agree with this in general.

I appreciate how much more efficient the SE is, and I like the 'fuller' sound I hear as my only complaint about v2 was that they sounded 'thin' on some material.

But in the end, other than the efficiency thing, I would call my preference for the SE just that, preference based on my tastes and synergy with the rest of my system.

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #10,227 of 14,626

I did blind buy the HE1000SE because it seemed like a good deal and I wanted to hear what an HE1000 of any kind sounded like. I came from Ananda and Arya. I also have Focal Utopia, ZMF VC and HD800S. When I first listened to the HE1000SE, I thought it had great bass, was super resolving and too intense in the treble for my taste. Then, I EQed down the treble and added a 2db bass shelf at 100 hz. Now, these are my favorite headphones by far of everything I own. The sound is just perfect for my taste with all genre of music. I use Equalizer APO for EQ and drive it with a Chord Hugo TT2. I love Hifiman products. Can't wait to hear the Susvara when properly amped. Everyone says its a lot better than the SE, but I just wonder how much better it can be.

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #10,228 of 14,626
I did blind buy the HE1000SE because it seemed like a good deal and I wanted to hear what an HE1000 of any kind sounded like. I came from Ananda and Arya. I also have Focal Utopia, ZMF VC and HD800S. When I first listened to the HE1000SE, I thought it had great bass, was super resolving and too intense in the treble for my taste. Then, I EQed down the treble and added a 2db bass shelf at 100 hz. Now, these are my favorite headphones by far of everything I own. The sound is just perfect for my taste with all genre of music. I use Equalizer APO for EQ and drive it with a Chord Hugo TT2. I love Hifiman products. Can't wait to hear the Susvara when properly amped. Everyone says its a lot better than the SE, but I just wonder how much better it can be.
Like you I had Utopia(twice), VeriteC, HD800S and also a plethora of other TOTL like 1266Phi, Lcd4, SR009S, Final8000 Pro etc. I also bought the 1000se blind and it took me a few weeks and a better cable but now they are my favourite headphone with the TT2/Mscaler.
I don’t use EQ as I try to accept the headphone for what it is, how it was designed.
Not really tempted by Susvara and the necessity for an external amp. It can’t be that much better, anyway.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #10,229 of 14,626
Like you I had Utopia(twice), VeriteC, HD800S and also a plethora of other TOTL like 1266Phi, Lcd4, SR009S, Final8000 Pro etc. I also bought the 1000se blind and it took me a few weeks and a better cable but now they are my favourite headphone with the TT2/Mscaler.
I don’t use EQ as I try to accept the headphone for what it is, how it was designed.
Not really tempted by Susvara and the necessity for an external amp. It can’t be that much better, anyway.
Curious about your opinion regarding the 1266Phi vs HEKse. I am a sound stage aficionado and in fact found the Utopia to be much more open with tube amps. I agree about the HEKse and wondered if the Susvara, even when properly amped can sound as open as the HEKse.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #10,230 of 14,626
How does it compare to the Susvara of cost not a factor?
Susvara is clearly better. On a desktop setup not really comparable. But i also don't seem to view the 1000SE like the majority here. While i think it's very good it is still underwhelming for me compared to the Utopia and e-stats. I'd only use it in a mobile setup. However i never use EQ and always use stock cable.
Curious about your opinion regarding the 1266Phi vs HEKse. I am a sound stage aficionado and in fact found the Utopia to be much more open with tube amps. I agree about the HEKse and wondered if the Susvara, even when properly amped can sound as open as the HEKse.
I found the SE to sound the least open of the V2, SE and Susvara trio. It had the most closed in and intimate sound (which i personally prefer). Susvara was the most open sounding headphone i ever heard. What i preferred about the SE was the grip and impact it had but maybe the Susvara wasn't fully amped (according to the Susvara thread it's never fully amped unless you drive it with a 20k amp that uses Plutonium as fuel).

In the end i sold all because they were all good but not really worth it for me all things considered and compared to IEMs and speakers. Kept the Ananda and really like that. Has it's on charm. Less technical but for my taste best tuned of the four.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back