Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #9,826 of 14,626
Heard back from Hifiman customer service, have to reply to them later today.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #9,828 of 14,626
I use the HiFiMAN EF-6, originally designed by HiFiMAN to Drive its much more demanding HE-6, but great, in formal comparisons I made in my initial review on the HE1000 Loaner Program thread.

Other acclaimed amps include the Auralic Taurus II and the MicroZOTL.

I’ve used the Schiit Bifrost Multibit, the Schiit Gungir Multibit, and the MHDT Stockholm, as well as the Chord Hugo DACs. All are great.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #9,829 of 14,626
I'll vouch for the MicroZOTL2, which has been my go to amp for the longest time. I also use the Liquid Carbon, which is not quite up to the ZOTL, but still very good sounding (and quite a bit less expensive now that it is a MassDrop produce).

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #9,831 of 14,626
Get something with a bit of heft on the wattage, HEK needs to be pushed a bit for it to be more forward(if anybody is looking for that). I have no doubt EF-6 has the power to do so if it can push an HE-6. Not HE-6 level of difficulty, but not easy to drive either.

If the amp is balanced, try the balanced connector, it may push it out sounds more forward with high gain. I know Bryston BHA-1 provides forwardness with it via balanced(it's an amp that SE and balanced do sound different). DAC can change the tonality and holography. I noticed that Gumby does make sounds more toward holography for live recordings out of the Bryston.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #9,832 of 14,626
Ok I am a novice at the equalisation stuff, so forgive me if what I am asking makes no sense. I love the sound of my HEK and if I could get my home rig to get some of that sound signature I would be delighted.
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I am trialling roon and this has a parametric equaliser. Would it be possible to try and replicate the HEKs sound signature, and if so how would I attempt to do this
Any guidance appreciated

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #9,833 of 14,626
Can you guys tell me what dac and amp your using with hek and if you’re happy with it

My audio chain is the Aurender N100H>Curious USB>Bryston BDA-3 DAC>Nordost Heimdall balanced XLR cables>Luxman P700u>Double Helix Complement 2 balanced cable>HEK v2.

I love the sound of this system. Great soundstaging width and layers of depth. Well controlled deep bass, slightly warm, highly resolving midrange and smooth well extended but not bright highs. I can listen to this system for hours with no fatigue.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #9,834 of 14,626
Can you guys tell me what dac and amp your using with hek and if you’re happy with it

Yggdrasil>Cavalli Liquid Gold.

My Wells Audio Milo also drives them very well, it loves planars.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #9,836 of 14,626
Ok I am a novice at the equalisation stuff, so forgive me if what I am asking makes no sense. I love the sound of my HEK and if I could get my home rig to get some of that sound signature I would be delighted.
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I am trialling roon and this has a parametric equaliser. Would it be possible to try and replicate the HEKs sound signature, and if so how would I attempt to do this
Any guidance appreciated
If you use mac os, try eqmac2. It's free and easy to use. I added a few DBs to sub-bass on my ether c flow and it responds very well.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #9,837 of 14,626
If you use mac os, try eqmac2. It's free and easy to use. I added a few DBs to sub-bass on my ether c flow and it responds very well.

I have a Windows lap top. Also I apologise as I may not have made myself clear. I want to add some sort of equalisation using Roon for my Speaker system.
I dont want to add any further software. On the Roon Parametic Equaliser there are set ups for Audeze HPs and this made me wonder if I could maybe experiment with a Curve that resembled my HEK headphones......where would I even find such a graphic equlaiser curve? If there is one available even.
I am just experimenting with a few things at present. Thanks fro the reply

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #9,838 of 14,626
So, I've been listening to my new HEKv2 since I got them yesterday, along with the HEXv2 that I had to pack up today.

My impressions so far -- they are definitely more alike than different. Both headphones share an excellent soundstage and excellent stereo separation. The HEKv2 is more focused. The HEKv2 is also more forward, giving the impression of being a bit closer to the music. Stereo separation is a bit better with the HEKv2 -- you can make out each instrument in space.

Is the HEKv2 worth the premium over the HEXv2? I think so, but I'd be more convinced if I had more time to compare the two.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #9,839 of 14,626
So, I've been listening to my new HEKv2 since I got them yesterday, along with the HEXv2 that I had to pack up today.

My impressions so far -- they are definitely more alike than different. Both headphones share an excellent soundstage and excellent stereo separation. The HEKv2 is more focused. The HEKv2 is also more forward, giving the impression of being a bit closer to the music. Stereo separation is a bit better with the HEKv2 -- you can make out each intstrument in space.

Is the HEKv2 worth the premium over the HEXv2? I think so, but I'd be more convinced if I had more time to compare the two.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy it much. Do you think HEK is going to be a solid upgrade from aeon flow open, or Clear? Audio memory would be quickly depreciated though...

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #9,840 of 14,626
I am glad to hear that you enjoy it much. Do you think HEK is going to be a solid upgrade from aeon flow open, or Clear? Audio memory would be quickly depreciated though...

It is a huge upgrade from the aeon flow open and a lateral upgrade from the Clear. Again, the Clears aren't really my thing, but I'd say you get your money's worth with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back