Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #9,526 of 14,627
Does this mean it was tried on v2 and had no effect or made things worse?

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #9,528 of 14,627
Excuse my ignorance - is the "foam mod of maxx" something that is applicable to the HEKv2?

Apologies guys,
I am the originator of the HEKV1 mods and haven't posted the mods here although they have been available at another site.
I will clean up and post the mods here soon...

For the HEKV1 mods, I have 3 variations.
* - 2 Easy strips placed outside rear
* - foam mod
* - foam plus Organza felt inside rear

For HEKV2 I have already tested and made mod inspired by my experience with the Susvara .
My HEKV2 mod is already installed on another member here but they have not posted as I have not started thread yet.
I will soon.

All mods will improve stock sound.
I moved on from my Eikon, HD800, HEKV1 & HEKV2,
and currently am busy with a Dennon 7200 project already elevated at similar level.

Also modded the Eikon but the results on that were very minimal compared to the effort involved,
as Eikon it is already at a sweet spot for its type and level, so already maximized in stock form.

These Hobbys are by default placed in a slower priority for me now,
due to recently being married,
but will try this week to post these mods,
now that I switched over the essential mod pics to "Imgur".

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #9,529 of 14,627
Apologies guys,
I am the originator of the HEKV1 mods and haven't posted the mods here although they have been available at another site.

* - foam mod

For HEKV2 I have already tested and made mod inspired by my experience with the Susvara .
My HEKV2 mod is already installed on another member here but they have not posted as I have not started thread yet.
I will soon.

and currently am busy with a Dennon 7200 project already elevated at similar level.

Also modded the Eikon but the results on that were very minimal compared to the effort involved,
as Eikon it is already at a sweet spot for its type and level, so already maximized in stock form.

Cheers

I look forward to learning what your mods can do for the HEK v2!

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #9,530 of 14,627
Apologies guys,

* - foam mod

I will soon.

Cheers

I'm also curious about the V2 mods. I look forward to your post.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #9,535 of 14,627
Hi guys. I have had my HEK for just over two years now and I love them. Considered the upgrade but decided against this.
I would just like some guidance and help if possible. I use the HEK with my Devialet/Auralic combination. Recently I bought the AK300 DAP and i was using it with some in ears. I thin tried it with my HEKs and I was amazed at how well it worked with them. Infact I think i prefer it to my much more expensive Devialet/Auralic set up.
I am not very good at describing what i hear but I will try. The dev/auralic combo def sounds a bit meatier and fuller but the AK300 has more detail and a much improved crisp treble. Like acoustic guitar sounds much better. I ignored this at first as I thought it cant be possible considering the difference in costs,
But now I use the DAP for my HP listening at home too. Yes I have to use a lot more volume but at 135 it sounds excellent
Have these DAPs improved that much over the years that they can beat the home set up performance? is it because they are optimised for HP use?
Of course this has me thinking sell the Auralic HP amp and put the extra cash towards a better DAP.
The DAP was bought for portable use but now its my go to choice when the neighbours are in.
Any comments or guidance would be appreciated

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #9,536 of 14,627
I don't have the AK300 but I own the AK240 and in my case the HE1000 sound much better from my home system. The combination DAC and Amplifer that I like the best with my HE1000 is the Bricasti M1 SE and my Wells Audio Enigma (with upgrades almost to the HeadTrip).

Maybe you should demo other DAC and/or headphones amp.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 29, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #9,537 of 14,627
I don't have the AK300 but I own the AK240 and in my case the HE1000 sound much better from my home system. The combination DAC and Amplifer that I like the best with my HE1000 is the Bricasti M1 SE and my Wells Audio Enigma (with upgrades almost to the HeadTrip).

Maybe you should demo other DAC and/or headphones amp.
I dont really want to go down that route to be honest as the Devialet is my favourite bit of hifi kit I have ever owned.
I think I am more looking to the DAP change if anything. I may keep the Auralic amp too as it has also served me well. Just over the last 4 months I have not used it other than to compare with my AK300.

Thanks for the post though, much appreciated

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #9,539 of 14,627
What other DACs you owned?

Sounds like the DAC in the Devialet is inferior to the one in your DAP.

Is it that simple? The Devialet is a 7K piece of kit and does an amazing job with my speakers . I am no expert but I think the DAC would be pretty good.
If this is the case though my thoughts on a better DAP would be correct way to go i think as I would never replace my Devialet.
It could be the Auralic is the weak link, but again i know it is highly rated.
Thanks for the reply

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #9,540 of 14,627
I haven´t heard any Stax but in my opinion HE 1000 (both v1 and v2) is along with Utopia the best headphone I´ve heard. That combination of deep planar bass, great soundstage, clarity and well balanced non -fatiguing sound isnt as common (among higher end headphones) as I thought when entering this hobby. This week I finally had a chance to audition HE-1000 v1, v2 as well as HEX v2 and HE-400S. To be honest with limited time and limited music genre (rock) I couldn´t discern much difference between HEK v1 and v2. However, I would say HEK v2 had a bit better defined bass, very slightly narrower soundstage width and very slightly better soundstage depth. Otherwise quite similar sounding. Effortless, relaxing with remarkable resolution and microdynamics. The source was modest but quite fine sounding NAD CD player and the head amp was Hifiman EF-6.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back