Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 22, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #5,701 of 14,626
  The Silver Dragons cured my biggest complaint with the HE-- the lack of snap on snare drum hits and other instruments in that frequency range.  With the stock cable, songs with a heavy snare that popped through the mix, were recessed.  It made songs with a strong beat sound too mellow.  I have no idea how a cable can affect a headphone in this way, it doesn't seem logical, but changing to the Silver Dragon definitely improved the issue to the point where I can report no flaws with the sound of the HE at all.  

I have not auditioned any other cables, so I won't comment on what other manufacturers cables sound like.  

I'm puzzled as well (and not only now). It's the same with amps: No one can reliably explain why they sound different or predict the sonic characteristic on the basis of measuring results.

Just don't ask these questions in the Sound Science forum!
basshead.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #5,702 of 14,626
Totally OT...1st act, Otis Clay, reminds me why punk rock came about in the late 70s, as a reaction to the ponderous blues-boogie that preceded it. Did get to try out acs ear plugs, did make sound and volume much more tolerable, even clear...recommended.
Gospel next, can't wait!

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5,703 of 14,626
Waiting to get into *Blues and Barbecue festival on Manhattan's waterfront. I think we sometimes use terms imprecicely. Imaging, layering, and soundstage (headstage) would mean different things to me. I'd take imaging to be placement across a "stage", so that, say, the singer is getting and center, the guitar is off to the right. Layering would flesh our the 3D more, so the bass may be to the left but behind the singer and guitar, with the finger left of center and even further back. Soundsta,ge I'd take (and others may differ here, this is where I think most controversy lies) to mean both the sense of space or "air" between instruments, and the sense of the size/shape of the space (how far back the side and back walls are, etc). I find all of the above are clear, easy to appreciate, and see more realistic as the great improves, with the exception of venue size. This I find easier to discern with speakers, headphones give me some sense of scale, but the diagrams people sometimes draw with detailed size and shape of venue I'd beyond me. Maybe it's high frequency hearing loss of age, maybe a lack of some sort of imagination on my part.

makes sense to me doc

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #5,705 of 14,626
I like your review.
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,706 of 14,626

I have no idea how a cable can affect a headphone in this way, it doesn't seem logical, but changing to the Silver Dragon definitely improved the issue to the point where I can report no flaws with the sound of the HE at all.  

Silver is a quicker wire, so the higher frequencies like the snare, will be hotter and arrive faster. No cable improves the sound, but they can bog down the signal transfer, or diminish the sound. Copper is known to be warmer, due to it's particle properties. The Silver Dragon is an excellent cable to use, except on very bright equipment. It would make them brighter.

Hey @immtbiker wanted to complete you and the other two Amigos on a wonderful review on the HEK!

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-1-introduction-to-hifiman/

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-2-of-3-peters-impressions/

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-3-of-3-listening-impressions/

For those of you who may have missed them, an excellent read!

Triple thanks for that!

I like and will keep both. The HD 800 will probably get more listening time again after the HE1000's novelty effect has worn off. What I can say, though, is that the HE1000 sounds more musical to me, more involving, particularly with classical and jazz. It seems to take more care to subtleties and to image sonic colors more correctly and with a wider spectrum of shades. (Both equalized.)

I enjoy both headphones just as much. If I had to only keep one, I would have to make a difficult choice. I switch off on a regular basis. It's part of my listening routine.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't (Almond Joy and Mounds candy bar reference).

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #5,707 of 14,626

I have no idea how a cable can affect a headphone in this way, it doesn't seem logical, but changing to the Silver Dragon definitely improved the issue to the point where I can report no flaws with the sound of the HE at all.  

Silver is a quicker wire, so the higher frequencies like the snare, will be hotter and arrive faster. No cable improves the sound, but they can bog down the signal transfer, or diminish the sound. Copper is known to be warmer, due to it's particle properties. The Silver Dragon is an excellent cable to use, except on very bright equipment. It would make them brighter.

Hey @immtbiker
 wanted to complete you and the other two Amigos on a wonderful review on the HEK!

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-1-introduction-to-hifiman/

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-2-of-3-peters-impressions/

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-3-of-3-listening-impressions/

For those of you who may have missed them, an excellent read!

Triple thanks for that!

I like and will keep both. The HD 800 will probably get more listening time again after the HE1000's novelty effect has worn off. What I can say, though, is that the HE1000 sounds more musical to me, more involving, particularly with classical and jazz. It seems to take more care to subtleties and to image sonic colors more correctly and with a wider spectrum of shades. (Both equalized.)

I enjoy both headphones just as much. If I had to only keep one, I would have to make a difficult choice. I switch off on a regular basis. It's part of my listening routine.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't (Almond Joy and Mounds candy bar reference).

Finally had time to read the reviews...great, really well written. Can't compare to Stax myself,but love the sound, my go to when I'm not using an iem (even went out on dog walk with them, driven balanced by the mighty Pono with Norne cables). My only difference would be comfort, which, of course, is an individual thing, head sizes and shapes being different. My small, bald head finds them quite uncomfortable after a very short time. I've wrapped them with a cushion wrapped around the leather, which helps but doesn't cure it. But, as you said about some previous favorites, the sound is worth it!

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #5,709 of 14,626
Waiting to get into *Blues and Barbecue" festival on Manhattan's waterfront. I think we sometimes use terms imprecicely. Imaging, layering, and soundstage (headstage) would mean different things to me. I'd take imaging to be placement across a "stage", so that, say, the singer is getting and center, the guitar is off to the right. Layering would flesh our the 3D more, so the bass may be to the left but behind the singer and guitar, with the singer left of center and even further back. Soundsta,ge I'd take (and others may differ here, this is where I think most controversy lies) to mean both the sense of space or "air" between instruments, and the sense of the size/shape of the space (how far back the side and back walls are, etc). I find all of the above are clear, easy to appreciate, and see more realistic as the gear improves, with the exception of venue size. This I find easier to discern with speakers, headphones give me some sense of scale, but the diagrams people sometimes draw with detailed size and shape of venue is beyond me. Maybe it's high frequency hearing loss of age, maybe a lack of some sort of imagination on my part.

Or maybe you're just a discerning listener who's intellectually honest and not afraid to report what you actually hear--and don't hear. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5,710 of 14,626
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #5,711 of 14,626
Agree, well written, piqued my interest in the amp (and, the last thing I need now is another amp).

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #5,712 of 14,626
My formal HE1000 review is in my Questyle Audio QP1R review thread.  I hope you enjoy the read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #5,713 of 14,626
Another great head-fi review.  Very nicely done.  I'm not even looking for an amplifier but I still found myself reading it in its entirety.

Agree, well written, piqued my interest in the amp (and, the last thing I need now is another amp).

For your wallets sake don't read this review:)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/authoritative-and-potent-violectric-v281-headphone-amplifier-page-2#SJiZEWjfYFIjWdfW.97

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #5,714 of 14,626
Oh course, now I HAVE to read that review! Going there now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back