Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 13, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,381 of 14,626
Speculation here but since dynamic driver headphones isn't what hifiman is about, they could technically put out something amazing for $300-500 and have it compete with $600-1500 headphones without putting their planars in a weird spot. The planars presentation differ from dynamic drivers enough that comparison would have enough differences to not say well this is as good as the he400i or he560, why would I pay for the planar magnetic? Whereas a company that have to follow an order of mid-fi at 200-500 then if they produce something amazing it'll need to reflect it in price..you get the picturem

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,382 of 14,626
Speculation here but since dynamic driver headphones isn't what hifiman is about, they could technically put out something amazing for $300-500 and have it compete with $600-1500 headphones without putting their planars in a weird spot. The planars presentation differ from dynamic drivers enough that comparison would have enough differences to not say well this is as good as the he400i or he560, why would I pay for the planar magnetic? Whereas a company that have to follow an order of mid-fi at 200-500 then if they produce something amazing it'll need to reflect it in price..you get the picturem

Hifiman have been working on mostly Planar Magnetic drivers and just had a chance to work on 1 electrostatic, so dynamic driver is doubtful.

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,383 of 14,626
  Hifiman have been working on mostly Planar Magnetic drivers and just had a chance to work on 1 electrostatic, so dynamic driver is doubtful.

not true. the he-300 is dynamic & they are definitely working on a dynamic driver per their website & per dr. fang during the mini-meet. exactly what it will be is still unconfirmed though.

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #1,384 of 14,626
This. I owned the he300 and if they would've spent some time on it for a proper housing (not a modded planar cup) that driver could've been tuned real nice. It was only $249 on release so can't really complain.

A proper $500 phone with the sound of a hd800, wishful thinking but very possible.
not true. the he-300 is dynamic & they are definitely working on a dynamic driver per their website & per dr. fang during the mini-meet. exactly what it will be is still unconfirmed though.

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,385 of 14,626

The quote i used is from their customer service page...literarely...and they used PLURAL..not singular...so they are coming out with several dynamic phones..not just one..like they did with the he300(which was very good in its own right by the way!!)

So why cant they come out with a dynamic phone to go one on one with a hd800 but at a (much) lower pricepoint? And easier to drive then a top planar?it could be a new line...next to their planar one.
They would reach a very different market..as not all people have a powerful amp able to drive a planar....mmmmm with mr. fang u never know..i liked the more darker sounding he300.. It made me buying more hifiman stuff.

And another thing...most customers who like dynamic..like the hd800... Mostly are not into the more agressive sounding power hungry planars mr. fang offers now....so a new quality dynamic phone wouldnt need to be a direct competitor for its own planars..all in my opnion ofcourse

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #1,386 of 14,626
The quote i used is from their customer service page...literarely...and they used PLURAL..not singular...so they are coming out with several dynamic phones..not just one..like they did with the he300(which was very good in its own right by the way!!)

So why cant they come out with a dynamic phone to go one on one with a hd800 but at a (much) lower pricepoint? And easier to drive then a top planar?it could be a new line...next to their planar one.
They would reach a very different market..as not all people have a powerful amp able to drive a planar....mmmmm with mr. fang u never know..i liked the more darker sounding he300.. It made me buying more hifiman stuff.

And another thing...most customers who like dynamic..like the hd800... Mostly are not into the more agressive sounding power hungry planars mr. fang offers now....so a new quality dynamic phone wouldnt need to be a direct competitor for its own planars..all in my opnion ofcourse

Isn't the HD800 considered etched and very detailed/aggressive? Never had the pleasure to hear one, but I know my 560 doesn't seem aggressive, but perhaps I'm just used to it and don't recognize it as aggressive sounding?

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,387 of 14,626

Isn't the HD800 considered etched and very detailed/aggressive? ...

It can be. The HD800 needs careful pairing with a warmish amp/DAC setup. I have had good results with the Auralic Vega DAC and tube amps, now the 430HA amp.

With a bright amp/DAC it can be brutal.

Modding the HD800 helps tame the treble - this can make the HD800 a lot easier to enjoy.

I love mine. With the right gear it gives excellent SQ with fraction of the weight of the TOTL planars. Really great comfort for long sessions.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,388 of 14,626

It can be. The HD800 needs careful pairing with a warmish amp/DAC setup. I have had good results with the Auralic Vega DAC and tube amps, now the 430HA amp.

With a bright amp/DAC it can be brutal.

Modding the HD800 helps tame the treble - this can make the HD800 a lot easier to enjoy.

I love mine. With the right gear it gives excellent SQ with fraction of the weight of the TOTL planars. Really great comfort for long sessions.

It is always about the total system isn't it? For me I find the slight softness of my M3 and Gungnir allow them to play very well with the 560 which sounds like it can be sharp at times for some people.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,389 of 14,626

It is always about the total system isn't it? For me I find the slight softness of my M3 and Gungnir allow them to play very well with the 560 which sounds like it can be sharp at times for some people.

Absolutely.

I would suggest that the HD800 is more fussy about the upstream gear than many other headphones. Both my HE6 and LCD-X are more forgiving of the amp / DAC selection than the HD800.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #1,390 of 14,626
Seems to be a common refrain with the HD 800. I may have to get an HD800 someday as I think my system would suit it well.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #1,391 of 14,626
  Seems to be a common refrain with the HD 800. I may have to get an HD800 someday as I think my system would suit it well.

HD-800 are absolutely great cans; I own a pair and they don't get the head time they deserve, my HE-6 also being around.  I've been meaning to sell them a hundred times...but every time after giving them a listen I just know I'll regret it the second the deal is done.  Overall I give a slight edge to the 6 but comfort/soundstage wise the HD-800 win.  My unscientific opinion is that most people who dislike them for being 'too analytical' or 'harsh' actually don't like the sound of extremely detailed, neutral reproduction (except perhaps for a slightly overemphasised treble).  Hence all the efforts to take off the edge a bit by using tube amps, NOS-dacs etc.  It's a matter of taste and anything goes, really.  Personally I prefer a neutral chain and colouring via the headphones if desired but there's more than one way that leads to Rome.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,392 of 14,626

HD-800 are absolutely great cans; I own a pair and they don't get the head time they deserve, my HE-6 also being around.  I've been meaning to sell them a hundred times...but every time after giving them a listen I just know I'll regret it the second the deal is done.  Overall I give a slight edge to the 6 but comfort/soundstage wise the HD-800 win.  My unscientific opinion is that most people who dislike them for being 'too analytical' or 'harsh' actually don't like the sound of extremely detailed, neutral reproduction (except perhaps for a slightly overemphasised treble).  Hence all the efforts to take off the edge a bit by using tube amps, NOS-dacs etc.  It's a matter of taste and anything goes, really.  Personally I prefer a neutral chain and colouring via the headphones if desired but there's more than one way that leads to Rome.

Well said brother. I suspect I'm one of those who ultimately likes a little warmth, but only a little as smeared sound is just as egregious to my ears. I did right away prefer my NOS Gungnir as compared with the Sabre based DAC in the Audiolab 8200CD I had. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,393 of 14,626
Yeah, the Sen. 800s are such a departure from their 6 and 5xx series. The older sound was warmish and needed a bit of sizzle. The 800s are the opposite.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #1,394 of 14,626
The resolution and detail of the HD800 is too good for mp3 or youtube quality music. Never had a problem on high quality audio files with the HD800. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,395 of 14,626
Does anyone ever consider age a factor? That maybe Sennheiser geared their headphones towards the older crowd that may have minor hearing loss from listening to the Who in concert. I know for a factor my friend who is only 27 years old has way less sensitivity to treble and can listen to music at levels that make my ears bleed. He would love the HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back