Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #8,341 of 14,626
  RESULTS:

I will be keeping the V2.  HiFiMan has improved an already stellar headphone.  

Source Gear: Mac Pro >> Audionirvana Plus >> Chord Hugo TT >> Woo Audio WA5LE V2 
Interconnects: Moon Audio Silver Dragon, Audioquest

In order not to add to the thread by quoting all of our post I copied the above but for most all of your post, I agree. For me, the V2 do not offer a problem for my ears but that is user dependent but I don't think it will be a hassle for most. For me, the soundstage feels even more open and airy, compared to the V1. The imaging is excellent and a little better than the V1. And bass, as you report is improved and very visceral and well done. 

I am using the micro Zotl 2 to do a lot of my evaluation with 6SN7W and 7062 tubes,  with the Chord Hugo as a source. I continue to burn my V2 in and they continue to sound more and more refined and everything becomes more coherent in the frequency range. A very nice step for Hifiman on these. Another TOTL headphone. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #8,342 of 14,626
  As an HE1000 enthusiast, I was thrilled to be invited into the HE1000 upgrade program.  

I will be keeping the V2.  HiFiMan has improved an already stellar headphone.  

Thanks for your impressions reeltime! Very helpful.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #8,344 of 14,626
  As an HE1000 enthusiast, I was thrilled to be invited into the HE1000 upgrade program.  

DISCLAIMER:  HiFiMan asked me to review the new version in exchange for my V1 version provided I offer an opinion after reviewing the 2 versions.  I've purposefully avoided reading other reviews of the HiFiMan HE-1000 V2.  I will have to say goodbye to one pair or the other, that's the bargain.  

Hi @reeltime
   You have both V1 and V2, and will you share the impression when V2 earpads put on your V1 cans?
Thanks.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #8,345 of 14,626
As I get more hours on the V2, the soundstage is opening up more and more. It is huge right now. But, and this is important, the imaging isn't smeared and it doesn't lose size, like getting flattened and spread wide. The imaging is excellent and when recorded there are instruments to the right and left and back in the soundstage and easily mentally seen with space around them. Voice for both male and female is very natural and enjoyable. I am looking forward to hearing these with a few hundred hours on them but for now, they are dynamic, layered and very impressive. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #8,346 of 14,626
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/exclusive-offer-for-loyal-he1000-v1-owners.html 

Looks like the hifiman website just got the upgrade program updated. $650 USD for upgrade from V1 to V2, not sure if its worth it or not. Would love to hear more people's opinions. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #8,348 of 14,626
  http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/exclusive-offer-for-loyal-he1000-v1-owners.html 

Looks like the hifiman website just got the upgrade program updated. $650 USD for upgrade from V1 to V2, not sure if its worth it or not. Would love to hear more people's opinions. 

Given that some of the updates can be [partially] covered by mods, it becomes a hard choice. But if you're not into mods, an upgrade may still be better than selling off and buying a new one.

Actually if I would be Hifiman I'd make it cheaper to upgrade. New housing + headbands + ear pads should cost less in total - OK, you also factor in work expenses, BUT: IMHO it would actually be financially beneficial for Hifiman to have a more reasonable "no-fuss no-care" upgrade path _always_. It would build confidence, they could recycle drivers and other materials, the market would have only the best Hifimans around, and the impact on the brand would actually counter the expenses. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #8,349 of 14,626
Don't think I'll upgrade my HE1K to the V2 and just save up for the Utopia. Asking 650 USD for an upgrade to a one year old headphone is a bit high. That and having to send them back to either China or America as a European isn't really helping...

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #8,350 of 14,626
The Utopia is not without flaws either. It also has a hardness in the mids like the HEK, but the HEK has it upper in the FR. The bass of the Utopia is better, but the HEK goes deeper. The Utopia is crystal clear, but may be a bit clinical with some amps, so need to pair it well. I say you need to listen to it - it may be your thing, or not. I cannot justify its price for the performance.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #8,351 of 14,626
Atleast the Utopia won't get an upgrade of 650 usd after a year tho and bad build quality.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #8,354 of 14,626
Sure, you can buy them, they'll be $625 :D

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #8,355 of 14,626
Posted this in the v2 thread. Probably should have posted here only.

Trying to figure out whether the upgrade program for the v1 to v2 is worth it.

Looking for those of you that have the v1s to weigh in with your thoughts, opinions and considerations, since some of you may be deciding against doing so while others may be, or will be, moving forward on the upgrade.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back