HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #211 of 1,215
Just from a PR or public speaking point of view, my personal preference of how this should have been executed is:

1. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like a hifiman headphone, and claims that it sounds fantastic.
2. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like a hifiman headphone, and claims that it sounds better than Sony R10 in the presentation.
3. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like R10, and pays homage to Sony and R10 designers in the presentation.
4. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like R10, but does not mention R10 in the presentation.
5. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like R10, mentions R10 in the presentation but pays no homage and shows no respect to R10's designers and owners.

It's just sad and funny that Bian picked #5.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #214 of 1,215
Apparently the cups are from a OEM. Has anyone been able to find their supplier?
I wonder what specie and age of wood is used to make the housing of the HE-R10. The housing of the original R10 is made from a 200 years old Japanese Zelkova tree specially selected from hardness and acoustical timbre. I am sure that Hifiman did research it out throughly and I am curious what the HE-R10 will sounds like.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #215 of 1,215
If you copy the headphones, why not make an exact copy. I mean they look so much worse than the original ones. Just ugly.

3486290 (1).jpgfadsfasdf.png

Yeah, the grain on the cups of the R10 looks amazing. The grain on the Hifiman looks cartoonish (like it is painted on).

Also, the R10 pads are still in one piece in the photos I've seen in this thread. Those Hifiman pads are famous for falling apart after a few months.

I wonder how a HE-R10 will look like after 30 years.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #216 of 1,215
Yeah, the grain on the cups of the R10 looks amazing. The grain on the Hifiman looks cartoonish (like it is painted on).

Also, the R10 pads are still in one piece in the photos I've seen in this thread. Those Hifiman pads are famous for falling apart after a few months.

30 years.....both my Arya and Ananda had driver failure within half a year. You are lucky if ur hifiman can last over 3 years.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #218 of 1,215

Should look great... the sequoia wood used in these cups lasts over a thousand years.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #221 of 1,215
Looks interesting. Bluetooth closed back makes sense. Still have zero faith in QC. I like the Hifiman sound signature. Very pleasing headphones. Hope they can eventually get QC under control.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #222 of 1,215
I think the main culprit is the Nanometer thin diaphragm.
All their older model tent to last way longer.

My Susvara has been with me since the start of 2018 and the only thing I've done was replace the pads in early 2020 and even that was covered by Hifiman. My Abyss TC which was purchased a year later than Susvara has already undergone 2 rounds of driver replacements and a broken headband which snapped after 6 months and was not covered under warranty.

I think the Hifiman QC issues arose from legacy models like the HE-400 series. I've seen fewer reports of QC issues on the newer models.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #223 of 1,215
My Susvara has been with me since the start of 2018 and the only thing I've done was replace the pads in early 2020 and even that was covered by Hifiman. My Abyss TC which was purchased a year later than Susvara has already undergone 2 rounds of driver replacements and a broken headband which snapped after 6 months and was not covered under warranty.

I think the Hifiman QC issues arose from legacy models like the HE-400 series. I've seen fewer reports of QC issues on the newer models.
I owned several hifiman cans in the last 7 years, and all of them still work flawlessly to this day

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #224 of 1,215
Blatant copy of Sony's IP. Even admitted to it. Shame.

I can almost certain build quality sucks, every shortcut will be taken by the designers all the way down to the assembly line workers to make a quick bucks.

Shameful. Sad. Count me out on this and all future Hifiman products. Don't care how they sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #225 of 1,215
I for one am looking forward to hearing these and see if they are better than mdr Z1R and VC. That’s all that matters.

I guess we are in minority here 🤩. The same thing happened when Hifiman launched Susvara, people got furious and resort to name-calling, arguing pricing, QC and conspiracy theories.

Today: Susvara is now considered by many one of the best headphones ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back