HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Sep 26, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #886 of 1,189
So, I spoke to hifiman. Its a cosmetic change, nothing has changed about the cups, or the tuning, or anything sound related. Here is a photo from @HeadAmpTeam

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 10.21.03 AM.png
If they would now use a Black frame with a dark wood, it would actually look nice.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #887 of 1,189
So, I spoke to hifiman. Its a cosmetic change, nothing has changed about the cups, or the tuning, or anything sound related. Here is a photo from @HeadAmpTeam

Can't say I like it. I don't have a problem with the current design, to be honest.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #888 of 1,189
I don't like the orange/silver combination. I thought the original thick black headband matched the cups nicely and now it just looks wrong.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #889 of 1,189
I don't like the orange/silver combination. I thought the original thick black headband matched the cups nicely and now it just looks wrong.
Agreed, the whole look seems off now.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #890 of 1,189
Whilst I agree a matte black and dark wood combo would look much better, I do prefer this headbands look to the previous one. I suppose you can't please everyone : )

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #891 of 1,189
Whilst I agree a matte black and dark wood combo would look much better, I do prefer this headbands look to the previous one. I suppose you can't please everyone : )
I find that Susvara style headband very comfortable, but would also have preferred different colors. And I find it remarkable that they changed from one to two connectors. That requires some rework of the internals, I suppose. I wonder what drove that decision.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #892 of 1,189
I find that Susvara style headband very comfortable, but would also have preferred different colors. And I find it remarkable that they changed from one to two connectors. That requires some rework of the internals, I suppose. I wonder what drove that decision.
I imagine that would have been because of the headband switch. I don't think there is any clean way to run a wire between the cups with that suspension style of headband.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #893 of 1,189
I imagine that would have been because of the headband switch. I don't think there is any clean way to run a wire between the cups with that suspension style of headband.
Of course, makes sense. I guess comfort was the main driver then. Then my question becomes why they chose to go for one connector initially. Whatever the benefit was, it did not prevent them from making this change.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #894 of 1,189
Of course, makes sense. I guess comfort was the main driver then. Then my question becomes why they chose to go for one connector initially. Whatever the benefit was, it did not prevent them from making this change.

I think it was the BlueMini which drove the single sided entry. Likely over the past year or so customer feedback has been that at the TOTL bracket people are more unlikely to use the bluemini/bluetooth in general, and wanted a traditional wired headphone. Perhaps this is why the dynamic driver version is remaining single sided entry, as it is more likely to be used with the BlueMini. Also, dual sided entry opens the HE-R10p to being used with peoples aftermarket Susvara cables etc...Which I'm sure some appreciate.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #895 of 1,189
I think it was the BlueMini which drove the single sided entry. Likely over the past year or so customer feedback has been that at the TOTL bracket people are more unlikely to use the bluemini/bluetooth in general, and wanted a traditional wired headphone. Perhaps this is why the dynamic driver version is remaining single sided entry, as it is more likely to be used with the BlueMini. Also, dual sided entry opens the HE-R10p to being used with peoples aftermarket Susvara cables etc...Which I'm sure some appreciate.
I think that is spot on! I too have always had some doubts about the one sided/BT approach with the P.

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #896 of 1,189
I’m glad I have the old R10P version, due to the added benefit of using the BlueMini and the new R2R BlueMini (I assume)

I know it is kinda crazy to use Bluetooth with $5.5K headphones, but I like the wireless convenience for work when I’m just casually listening. I can use the XLR connection on my amp when needed for more critical listening. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #897 of 1,189
I’m glad I have the old R10P version, due to the added benefit of using the BlueMini and the new R2R BlueMini (I assume)

I know it is kinda crazy to use Bluetooth with $5.5K headphones, but I like the wireless convenience for work when I’m just casually listening. I can use the XLR connection on my amp when needed for more critical listening. 🤷‍♂️
You’re not alone. I’m completely happy with the current design and it’s added benefits of Bluetooth. Plus, I’m not a fan of the new color scheme and the headband doesn’t work well with the ear cup design, in my opinion.

I hope Hifiman sells the new R2R receiver separately. Having R2R sound in a small package, works for me!

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #898 of 1,189

Pretty sure the new style R10P is still compatible with BlueMini in left earcup despite also being compatible with dual-entry traditional cables as well -- this is precisely how it works for the Deva Pro and I doubt it would a new R10P with dual-entry would lack a feature that the $329 Deva Pro has. :relieved:

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #899 of 1,189
Pretty sure the new style R10P is still compatible with BlueMini in left earcup despite also being compatible with dual-entry traditional cables as well -- this is precisely how it works for the Deva Pro and I doubt it would a new R10P with dual-entry would lack a feature that the $329 Deva Pro has. :relieved:
According to the Hifiman press release on the new R2R Bluetooth dongle, it says it’s compatible with the DEVA and the R10D. There’s a thread on here where a couple of us asked if it was compatible with the R10P, and heard no response. This was before I knew of the new R10P design. After seeing the new design, I put two and two together. I hope I’m interpreting this wrong for the sake of future R10P owners, but I don’t know. With the new R10P headband, I’m not sure how the ear cups could be connected together :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #900 of 1,189
According to the Hifiman press release on the new R2R Bluetooth dongle, it says it’s compatible with the DEVA and the R10D. There’s a thread on here where a couple of us asked if it was compatible with the R10P, and heard no response. This was before I knew of the new R10P design. After seeing the new design, I put two and two together. I hope I’m interpreting this wrong for the sake of future R10P owners, but I don’t know. With the new R10P headband, I’m not sure how the ear cups could be connected together :thinking:
Doh, I'm silly, you're right... the Deva Pro has the benefit of still having the old headband where a cable stealthily connects the two cups for the single-sided cable / dongle compatibility whereas the the new headband on style on the R10P, it would seem obvious that the cable would be visible if it existed. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back