Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #451 of 634
I couldn't tell you with certainty how I'd feel about such a system, but most likely I wouldn't like it. All that matters of course is whether or not you like it. The only amps I've used the SR-009 with are the Woo Audio WES, HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE, and Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon. Personally I don't ever want to use an R2R DAC with it again.
Were there much of a difference between STAX amps? If so, how significant were they, and can you describe what characteristically were different between those amps?

Would you say you like more of a lean signature, and tolerate treble better than most people?

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #452 of 634
Unfortunately customs has conspired against allowing me to enjoy these headphones over the long weekend. It should only be a couple more days until I have them in my heads. I look forward to providing impressions as soon as I get them. (One caveat is my next week at work is looking insanely busy)

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #453 of 634
The difference here is the SR-009's insanely revealing nature, making it far more picky about everything.

Whenever I hear "X headphone is so revealing it requires Y upstream equipment" I automatically translate that into "I don't really like X headphone's sound signature, so I will try to correct with upstream equipment".

It's no coincidence that "insanely revealing" is applied to headphones with high treble energy like the 009 and the HD800 - it's just a euphemism for "bright". If you have to "fix" a headphone by monkeying with it's sound through upstream equipment, I think a more apt response would be "maybe I don't like this headphone".

That said, I agree with the general discussion, companies like Audeze still haven't figured out how to coherently render treble. I think even Focal struggles with it. Hifiman is certainly hit or miss (some love the HE6 treble, some again seek to "fix" it with upstream equipment - for me, unmodded, it was perfect).

The thing about the 009 and the HD800 - they get almost everything right, but for the individual listener, it may just come down to a very slight tweak in the upper registers to smooth out the sound - hence the investment in equipment. With Audeze (and for me, Focal as well), the treble is just so far off you can't take the same strategy.

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #454 of 634
Whenever I hear "X headphone is so revealing it requires Y upstream equipment" I automatically translate that into "I don't really like X headphone's sound signature, so I will try to correct with upstream equipment".

It's no coincidence that "insanely revealing" is applied to headphones with high treble energy like the 009 and the HD800 - it's just a euphemism for "bright". If you have to "fix" a headphone by monkeying with it's sound through upstream equipment, I think a more apt response would be "maybe I don't like this headphone".

That said, I agree with the general discussion, companies like Audeze still haven't figured out how to coherently render treble. I think even Focal struggles with it. Hifiman is certainly hit or miss (some love the HE6 treble, some again seek to "fix" it with upstream equipment - for me, unmodded, it was perfect).

The thing about the 009 and the HD800 - they get almost everything right, but for the individual listener, it may just come down to a very slight tweak in the upper registers to smooth out the sound - hence the investment in equipment. With Audeze (and for me, Focal as well), the treble is just so far off you can't take the same strategy.

While I agree with the point that you're making, I'd like to add that your response is most applicable to those who claim the SR-009 (or HD 800) treble is too bright and needs to be "tamed." Yeah, those people want another headphone like the SR-007 or maybe SR-009S.

Though what I was referring to was the SR-009 revealing all changes to the audio chain, making them so obvious for better or worse. Headphone amps, DACs, analog interconnects, the SR-009 will allow you to hear just how different all of those are with ease. One DAC vs another can turn the SR-009 into a completely different sounding headphone.

What I try to do with the SR-009 (and with any headphone or speaker setup really) is get the most transparent, neutral components possible, from DACs (where I prefer Chord) to amps (where I prefer Kevin Gilmore/Birgir designs and would almost certainly favor Pass Labs for speakers) to interconnects (where I am currently focusing on silver and low capacitance). And if I don't like the sound of the headphone or speaker, then it's just not for me and I move on to the next one. I won't be trying to tune my system much with other components.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #455 of 634
I find there are similarities between SR-009 and HD800 in the way there is more of tilt toward upper-mids treble (response sounds similar to me). I don't find the electrostat faster than the dynamic.

The difference I find is that HD800 treble is not only lifted, but also you feel it slamming it at you (which I most dislike), whereas I don't get that feeling from SR-009. But the tonality of the treble sounds similar.

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #456 of 634
So, can't find a review of the HE6-SE anywhere. Seems we could get one here pretty soon. Looking forward to it.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #457 of 634
So, can't find a review of the HE6-SE anywhere. Seems we could get one here pretty soon. Looking forward to it.

Considering they're the same HE-6 headphones Id think all the HE-6 reviews would apply, of course with the difference of the construction/headband.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #458 of 634
Considering they're the same HE-6 headphones Id think all the HE-6 reviews would apply, of course with the difference of the construction/headband.

*Allegedly*

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #459 of 634
They threw in an extra without telling us! looks like the ear-pads are different, and because the original stale donuts were so bad any change is a 'significant upgrade'.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #460 of 634

HE-6's from the original run are getting pretty creaky. Environmental factors such as cooking fumes getting on the driver, oxidation. Perhaps degrading cables. Another thing is the alarming failure rate of the drivers, so people love the sound, but fear the dead drivers, so this new product may appeal to those that want the sound but not take the risk of buying used.

Plus I'd really like a comparison between this and the code sex.

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #462 of 634
Sigh. Another week left in the customs black hole. This is getting frustrating.

Sorry guys, I know a few of you are waiting on some first impressions of these. I hope early next week at the latest now. I promise to update as soon as I have them in my hands.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #463 of 634
Sigh. Another week left in the customs black hole. This is getting frustrating.

Sorry guys, I know a few of you are waiting on some first impressions of these. I hope early next week at the latest now. I promise to update as soon as I have them in my hands.

You got the HE6SE? Canadian customs is worse than Fangs reputation on head-fi. Not even close imo

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #464 of 634
Got them in the sense I got them as far as being put into an inspection queue somewhere in customs. AT least I know they are in the country somewhere. Maybe some customs agent is enjoying them already!

It seems to have been getting worse over the last few years, and especially concerning products shipped from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back