Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #46 of 634
Look at every other high-end manufacturer and headphone released since the HD800. The tell Sennheiser to screw off for starting this roller coaster. This is normal stuff now. HiFiMAN also have a slew of sub-$1000 headphones on offer for you since $1800 is too high, but I guess you're not interested in those models?

Given the current playing field, this sounds a lot less like someone who's familiar with the market and a lot more like someone who's got an axe to grind.

It's 2018, they're sub $2000. It's a sad win.

Why would they be less than the originals? Market/category placement alone would signal not to do that. If they were lower priced, people would either perceive them as budget models compared to the originals or some other, different model just trying to win sales based on the good reputation of the originals. Hell, even at the current price, people are wondering if they'll sound as good or if the drivers are as good...

Based on inflation alone, $1299 in 2009 is worth roughly +$1500 now. If they're going to charge a few dollars more than that to dance, so be it.

Now I'll go back to enjoying my original, 4-screw HE-6s :)

Like I said, because there is no RnD. No additional cost to HiFiman; that is why I feel they should be the same price or cheaper. And 2009 was 9 years ago as well, I don't see why a model should increase in price after almost a decade with no major change.

Edit to add: I should point out all my thoughts are on the basis that these are the exact same. If they did make major changes, then my comments don't really stand.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #47 of 634
Look at every other high-end manufacturer and headphone released since the HD800. The tell Sennheiser to screw off for starting this roller coaster. This is normal stuff now. HiFiMAN also have a slew of sub-$1000 headphones on offer for you since $1800 is too high, but I guess you're not interested in those models?

Given the current playing field, this sounds a lot less like someone who's familiar with the market and a lot more like someone who's got an axe to grind.

Why would they be less than the originals? Market/category placement alone would signal not to do that. If they were lower priced, people would either perceive them as budget models compared to the originals or some other, different model just trying to win sales based on the good reputation of the originals. Hell, even at the current price, people are wondering if they'll sound as good or if the drivers are as good...

Based on inflation alone, $1299 in 2009 is worth roughly +$1500 now. If they're going to charge a few dollars more than that to dance, so be it.

LOL

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #48 of 634
The price will probably not hold as another member mentioned. Most Hifiman products MSRP costs get cut a good bit, some nearly in half over time. I personally think Hifiman did not analyze the market correctly for this. People did want a new he6, or at least a reproduction of the old one, but at this price I don't think they will sell too many.

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #51 of 634
Really curious if this price is actually the final one. For now I'm going to stick to my three pairs of old HE-6 :ksc75smile:
To be honest, with enough power HE-6 do sound better than their old MSRP would suggest, but "enough power" is quite a requirement.

Also, users have come up with plenty of cheap improvements ( mods) over the years, so I wonder what exactly sits inside those cups. Then again, I don't think hifiman would even bother to do such thing, way too much effort required.

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #52 of 634

Of coz you'd be happy with $1800 new HE-6. You think this would inflate your own HE-6, dont you? :)

$1800...ridiculous.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #54 of 634
Kinda disappointed in the price of $3500USD for the HE1000SE, as I was genuinely interested in them. It would have been neat if it had been $3000USD like the V2's. With the Meze Empyrean coming in at $3000USD, that is likely to be tough competition. I guess the best idea is to listen to both if possible, and buy whichever you prefer.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #55 of 634
Not even surprised at the price. HFM only cares about milking our $. Minimal QC, maximum MSRP.

I bought my HE-6 in Nov. 2010 for $1K.

1299 was RRP at realise for original HE6 almost 10 years of inflation will make it well 1799 around
is that price right well thats wallet depended
is that price fair - check used market for HE6 ( it will change now i am sure) but if they are as good as original and more comfortable Fang just picked price that market established for used units
so it looks correct (if not fair) as you will get new unit plus warranty
No new tech and RnD - well we don't know that - and we will just need to wait and see.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #56 of 634
Kinda disappointed in the price of $3500USD for the HE1000SE, as I was genuinely interested in them. It would have been neat if it had been $3000USD like the V2's. With the Meze Empyrean coming in at $3000USD, that is likely to be tough competition. I guess the best idea is to listen to both if possible, and buy whichever you prefer.

Exactly this! I was also interested in the SE, but there’s no way I would pay more for it than the Empyrean. I’m not even willing to pay the same for it as the Empyrean. The Empyrean is lighter, built better, has easier to change pads, comes with two pairs of pads, sounds better, has a higher sensitivity, comes with better stock cables, and is built in Europe. And has all of that on its FIRST version.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #58 of 634
Audeze introduced the LCD-2 Classic at $599 and now selling at $799. Build quality is far better than $6000 Susvara. What is that about inflation?

Don't use inflation as an excuse for greed.

$599 was a special introductory price, which they made clearly well known.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #59 of 634
Audeze introduced the LCD-2 Classic at $599 and now selling at $799. Build quality is far better than $6000 Susvara. What is that about inflation?

Don't use inflation as an excuse for greed.
Those greedy business owners, trying to make money in a niche market where no one depends on their products. I can't stand them. You know what, I think I even heard HiFiMAN was going to release a $50,000 headphone, just to swindle us all out of house and home too. Worst people I've ever heard of, taking advantage of us like that with their high prices.

There never has been an audio emergency, and I don't think the $1800 introductory priced HE-6se is going to become the first. Nor the $3500 priced HEK-se.

Just as everyone else has said, these prices will come down. And the used market will tear them to pieces anyway. I'm happy HiFiMAN is out there making new products and putting them to market. Helps stoke the used market classifieds and give me a shot at a pair later on when I feel it's right for me. My original HEKv1s have nosedived in resale value, but oddly, the dropping resale value and the release of other headphones by both HiFiMAN and competitors has somehow not seemed to have made my HEKv1s sound worse. Maybe I got a lucky pair, but they almost seem to sound as good or better than when I bought them because I liked how they sound.

I'm no fan of high prices, but if anyone wants to hunt in the sub-$1000 market, there are more remarkable headphones in that category now than there was in 2010, and a lot of them are lower end models of the same companies that have released multiple +$2000, $3000, and $4000 headphones.

Now, I've never heard that the Empyrean would cost $3000 USD. I've not had my ear to the ground, but still, that's a lot more than the Meze 99 were. But for sure, the built quality of the Empyrean vs. the HEK is going to be no contest. The HEK, and most HiFiMAN products, are quite special in their total lack of refinement. Like it's not even complicated to get that level of quality nowadays... In China, the heart of the world's manufacturing, it's super not hard to spec out a product and get a well made one for a reasonable price. I do love the sound the HiFiMAN brings to the table across all the headphones they have, but they're a total DNF in the refinement category. I'll have to give the Empyreans a listen, thanks for the heads up guys :)

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #60 of 634
Those greedy business owners, trying to make money in a niche market where no one depends on their products. I can't stand them. You know what, I think I even heard HiFiMAN was going to release a $50,000 headphone, just to swindle us all out of house and home too.
Oh you mean the Shangri-la?

They did release it in case you were wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back