Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3
Mar 17, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #361 of 410
I once had the HE-6 paired with a Pioneer SX-1280 and the cans were driven straight off the headphone jack - never heard headphones this GOOD before, period. There was no hint of brightness nor whatever inadequacies and the bass was just slamming and slamming. I listen predominantly to metal and the occasional Canto-pop tunes and the HE-6 really takes the cake for being a good one can for all IF you have a suitabe amplifier to pair it with. Preferably speaker amp of course. Speaking of which, has anyone tried the HE-6 with a Naim amp using pigtail adaptors? Naim are well known for their high current capabilities with loads of dynamics and PRAT so i would presume it would make a good pairing with the HE-6. Or maybe I'm wrong..

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #362 of 410
One thing I have noticed with HE-6 is that it requires a bit of warm-up time. Maybe mine is not fully broken in (it should be), but if I listen after 15 minutes of warm up vs. 1 hour of warm up, there is a big difference. Don't have the same issue with HE-500 which I also have. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #364 of 410
Yeh no such thing as warm up time with these headphones, these aren't tubes only attribute to improving sound over time is burn in or your brain and ears adjusting to the sound.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #367 of 410
Both burn-in (break-in) and tube warm up can confirm this true with any amplifier.

Even some solid state amps may take a bit to warm up. I had a first watt here for a little while and I believe the manual said to turn it on a bit before listening as it sounded best warms up. Hour seems a bit much though. Maybe that it just the relaxation or the drink kicking in.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #368 of 410

Personally I rather intensely disliked my LCD-2 for metal. The LCD-3 I could live with, but I prefer the HE-6 for those genres unequivocally.

Like Prepoman the problem I had with the LCD-2 (or should I say one of the problems) was there was just a touch of bloom to the bass and bleeding over the lower mids, I really want tight bass with great slam, which the HE-6 offers in spades.

I don't intensely dislike the LCD-2s (my 2.1 version, at least) for anything, really-- but I will say that do strongly prefer the HE-6 to the LCD-2 for metal (and pretty much everything except bass-driven music). The HE-6 is utterly spectacular for pretty much all forms of metal I've tried thus far... Just got done listening to the new Animals As Leaders and Carcass albums, and they both sounded just ridiculously good with the sixes. (I'm getting used to the different presentation of the Audeze vegan pads, but it's still several steps up over the LCD-2 IMO). 

Also, for those interested in improving the comfort on the HE-6, I can very strongly recommend the use of the Audeze vegan pads (available in black if you ask) and the padded headphone band from eBay that Happy Camper recommended a million years ago in the mammoth HE-6 thread. I've been wearing them for a couple of hours with nothing but pure enjoyment-- definitely more comfortable than the 2.1 as well. (To be clear, I still really like the 2.1, but I find them to be too dark to do a lot of music justice-- where the treble on the HE-6 is just incredibly present, smooth, detailed, and intoxicatingly clear). 

I only heard the LCD-3 for a few minutes at a meet, and while it seemed noticeably less dark (and overall better) than my 2.1, my meet impression was that it paled very noticeably in comparison to the HE-6, hence my purchase of the six over the three once I got the funds :wink:.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #370 of 410
I couldn't stand the HE-6 for the type of metal I listen to maybe a select few, too much treble bite.

I can see that. Although I tend to prefer a slightly treble-tipped sound, and I very much appreciated the treble on the six stock, there was some ineffable, difficult-to-pinpoint characteristic that I can see someone disliking. If you get a chance to hear them again, see if you can use the Audez'e vegan pads-- completely eliminates the slight oddness in the treble and reduces the level of treble a bit (perhaps more than I'd like, actually). Might be right up your alley! :)

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #371 of 410
  If you have a mid-tier set-up with low to mid-fi sources then the LCD-3 is perfectly suited for such a set-up. It is very forgiving of poor sources and it doesn't need a clean, powerful amp to sound ok.

If, however, you have a high end rig with gobs of power, the HE-6 is what you want. The usual complaints of sibilance, brightness and lack of bass are true only if you are under-powering the HE-6. When properly amped, the HE-6 is really in a class of it's own. The bass not only extends to lowest of the lows but it remains tight and controlled. The mids are never recessed or inaccurate and the highs are extended and controlled as well. The HE-6 is a world-class, first rate headphone that demands an accompanying system of the same rate and class. Without it, the HE-6 will seriously disappoint.

Let's also not forget that with the HE-6, you don't have to worry about veiled units, failed drivers and other quality control concerns which are rampant in the Audeze LCD-x camp.

Agree with every word posted by LFF. One actually needs a high end loudspeaker rig with the HE-6 using the speaker outputs of the power amp.

Just received my second RMA for a one year old pair of LCD-3's. There is even a glitch in the Audeze website RMA submittal page. Great sound when fed a high quality signal and powered by a good headphone amp, when they function properly. QC has always been the company's main problem.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #372 of 410
How does one demo HE-6's? I am in Boston area if there is anyone local. I would really love to try these for a few hours.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #374 of 410
  For someone who likes the sounds of speakers, and so owns an HD800 because they sound closest to speakers, would either of these be an upgrade?

I would think the HE-6 would suit you well - it has a quite different and more punchy presentation, while still having the detail and openness. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #375 of 410

Agree with every word posted by LFF. One actually needs a high end loudspeaker rig with the HE-6 using the speaker outputs of the power amp.

You don't need a "high-end" speaker rig to power the HE-6 to have it sound best that's just a common misconception on these boards, just a well designed headphone amp with high peak to peak voltage output or a synergistic speaker amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back