HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #10,216 of 21,866
My HE-6 arrived with pleather seated ready-to-go. I've not tried the velours or any other pads... not yet. I'm skipping the velours though - do not like the trade-offs between velour and pleather. I also explained the whole velour-phreak-poodle thang a few pages back. 

Sat in with Beyer's + velours pads for over a month. The cans showed promise, but that poodle sensation...
ph34r.gif

Would like to learn more from preproman and the Denon pads vs HiFiMAN pleather.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #10,217 of 21,866
That is correct, the 4 tabs are still being used, as well as the extra 6 strips of double-sided tape on each side.
Ok. I thought the tape was similar to insulating tapes that are like 1/8" thick. Yours must be more thin, not impeding the tabs from being engaged.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #10,218 of 21,866
Ok. I thought the tape was similar to insulating tapes that are like 1/8" thick. Yours must be more thin, not impeding the tabs from being engaged.

It's just like scotch tape, but stickier.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #10,220 of 21,866
Calling all bassheads: 
basshead.gif

Download this album and listen to  track "Greenery" and compare your pleathers and velours. I'm listening to velours at the moment and I honestly cannot say they are lacking in bass.
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/bloop-entheomorphic

popcorn.gif

EDIT: It's a very good album if you like Downtempo by the way :)

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #10,222 of 21,866

wink_face.gif
 But... where do the pleathers weigh-in at with said track?

Unfortunately my unmodded pleathers have gone AWOL so I cannot make a comparison. I have determined the Jerg pads to have too much of an upper midrange boost.

Can you experiment for me and see what you think between the two pads? Pretty please? 
redface.gif

EDIT: You will need to download the FLAC as it uses all available bandwidth in the sub frequencies.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #10,223 of 21,866

Unfortunately my unmodded pleathers have gone AWOL so I cannot make a comparison. I have determined the Jerg pads to have too much of an upper midrange boost.

Can you experiment for me and see what you think between the two pads? Pretty please? 
redface.gif

EDIT: You will need to download the FLAC as it uses all available bandwidth in the sub frequencies.

wink_face.gif
 I'm in transit... or will be in the next few minutes. Hopefully, someone will come along and shed more light.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #10,224 of 21,866
Anyone interested in a pair of Lawton angle pads PM me.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #10,225 of 21,866

wink_face.gif
 I'm in transit... or will be in the next few minutes. Hopefully, someone will come along and shed more light.

Thanks SO!

EDIT: Track #4 "Disappearing Space" is another great representation of sub frequencies too. Delightful organic-like bass!

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #10,226 of 21,866
I'll have all you HD-800 lovers know that I just compared them to the HE-6 on the track "Greenery" and everything is missing under 70hz. The HE-6 wipes the floor with it. Like embarrassingly so.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #10,228 of 21,866
My HE-6 arrived with pleather seated ready-to-go. I've not tried the velours or any other pads... not yet. I'm skipping the velours though - do not like the trade-offs between velour and pleather. I also explained the whole velour-phreak-poodle thang a few pages back. 

Sat in with Beyer's + velours pads for over a month. The cans showed promise, but that poodle sensation...
:ph34r:

Would like to learn more from preproman and the Denon pads vs HiFiMAN pleather.
Thanks to prepro, I've settled on using the Denon pads. I like the comfort (softer) and they are angled and better made than the pleather pads that come with the 6s. The bass is more firm than the velours but not quite as open sounding. I feel the pads of Hifiman are rather cheap for the quality of sound and cost. Better pads have improved comfort but you'll have to determine their impact on sound.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #10,229 of 21,866
Thanks to prepro, I've settled on using the Denon pads. I like the comfort (softer) and they are angled and better made than the pleather pads that come with the 6s. The bass is more firm than the velours but not quite as open sounding. I feel the pads of Hifiman are rather cheap for the quality of sound and cost. Better pads have improved comfort but you'll have to determine their impact on sound.

Did you buy the cheap $4 chinese Denon pads, or from some authorized dealer? I can't find the 'real' ones lol

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #10,230 of 21,866
Hello to all of you..... I dreamed about the he 6 for my next move..... Driving them with the good amp is not easy if i understand all the forum...... Is anybody have some impression of the tbi millenium ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back