HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #8,296 of 21,867
Quote:
Quote:
What amp are you moving toward next? Also, how would the F3 sound with both the D7000 & HD650? Or what would you suspect?

To the one that is Silent:

MalVeauX is doing a project with sensitive headphones like Denons on speaker amps.  It's very good information.  I'm sure the same can be done with the F3 if needed.  Take a look:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Thanks. Not that the aforementioned cans would be a big concern. It's more like if I decide to pair the amp with the HE-6, wanting to know more about the rest of my inventory. We be a bit on the poor side in this hobby and always striving to use pieces we got. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #8,297 of 21,867
Reading all this positive feedback on the F3 as I was really thinking about the F2J...  Which would y'all pick in terms of First Watt? 
Thanks in advance.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #8,303 of 21,867
I Love my F3 - no question about it. It does everything I want when I pair it with my HE6, but, as always, I would recommend trying to hear one. Also, for the HE6 I think current based amps may eek out the F3 (thats F1J or F4). I dont know for sure I have not heard the others. I would also look at the deal you can get.  If you can get the F3 for less than the other amps, would grab it. IT is a really good amp. The upside for me is that I can run hd8oo off it as well as the He6. In few months I should be able to do a comparison with the mk2 GS-X (head to head) if you can wait that long, to give you beter idea what the F3 is like -- in relative terms

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #8,304 of 21,867
Quote:
Reading all this positive feedback on the F3 as I was really thinking about the F2J...  Which would y'all pick in terms of First Watt? 
Thanks in advance.

actually, i would love it if you got the f3 and compared it to your other amps -- Stratus and the ultra modded Phonitor -- and let us know what you think. That would help me make my next move in terms of gear, 
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8,305 of 21,867
I just listened to my F3 on HE6 and I really have to say that it is quite nice. however( this is ti fejnomit) I feel that I should tell you that the whole thing re HE-6 and pirecing highs (as well as HD800) has never resonated with me. to give you an idea of what I like so that when you read my impressions you know where I am coming from, when I was at a recent DC meet, I love the HD800 out of the GSX, while someone else who loves the LDC2 could not take the highs. I think that the highs on HE6 wiht the F3 are sharp (as in focus) like all other frequencies and not what others call piercing, but I can see how someone (i.e., LDC2 lover) could dislike this presentation. Keep that in mind.Having said that, the F3 is thus far my favorite amp for dynamic headphones. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8,306 of 21,867
Between my two tube amps, one is non-fatiguing than the other one with the HE-6 depending on listening time and what I'm listening to. The Audio Research has a little bit more emphasis at the higher end. The Copland is just right.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #8,307 of 21,867
Man, I've waited for over a month now for a replacement pair of 6s and I'm getting withdrawals. I need my babies to come home to care for their daddy.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #8,308 of 21,867
dt880smile.png
 Let's see, first addiction...then withdrawal, have I got that right? Wishing them a speedy return. What happen to the cans in the first place? Have there been an unusual amount of blown drivers or returns for whatever reasons, with the HE-6? Is their build quality at all suspect?

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #8,309 of 21,867
Quote:
actually, i would love it if you got the f3 and compared it to your other amps -- Stratus and the ultra modded Phonitor -- and let us know what you think. That would help me make my next move in terms of gear, 
wink.gif

fejnomit, yes I too would love it if you bought my amp.

Quote:
Man, I've waited for over a month now for a replacement pair of 6s and I'm getting withdrawals. I need my babies to come home to care for their daddy.

Are you going for the child/aging parent analogy here?  Or the other use of the "caring for/taking care of daddy" phrase?  It's a little disturbing as vague as you left it.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8,310 of 21,867
Sphinxvc you just made me laugh out loud.
Anyway I just saw you were selling. Hm.....

And in reponse to the *highs* question, it's not piercing so much as unreal. If the high is piercing on a recording then so be it. I want to hear that
But when highs on the HD800 ring out with perfect attack and decay and actually sound like the instrument being played I have noticed so far on the HE-6 they sound less real- the attack is there but the decay is missing and the tone is more digital sounding for lack of a better word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back