HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #8,221 of 21,860
this version is unbalanced, and all bipolar.
no fets, no mosfets. But most important
NO FEEDBACK of any kind.

other versions coming.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #8,223 of 21,860
Wow, I think I've almost got my HE-6 sounding dark now...
- J$ Beyer pads
- retaining ring has nylon as dust cover, a piece of soft felt on top, and a small amount of  twaron angel hair sandwiched in between
- replaced rear grill with a more open mesh, with nylon dust cover, and removed the stock foam and cotton

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #8,224 of 21,860
Quote:
Wow, I think I've almost got my HE-6 sounding dark now...
- J$ Beyer pads
- retaining ring has nylon as dust cover, a piece of soft felt on top, and a small amount of  twaron angel hair sandwiched in between
- replaced rear grill with a more open mesh, with nylon dust cover, and removed the stock foam and cotton

Could you provide some pictures and a little more detail Please?

Thanks!!

Jack

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #8,225 of 21,860
Made some new metal grills that are much more open than the stock ones. This was the most time consuming part

added some nylon dust cover

removed the stock foam and installed the new grills; notice that you can some what see through them now

here's the new J$ pads, the retaining ring with nylon dust cover, and the circle of felt
put the felt on top of the retaining ring before installing the pad
I later sandwiched a bit of twaron angel hair in between the dust cover and felt

reassembled (those are the stock grills in the picture)

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #8,226 of 21,860
Quote:
Made some new metal grills that are much more open than the stock ones. This was the most time consuming part

added some nylon dust cover

removed the stock foam and installed the new grills; notice that you can some what see through them now

here's the new J$ pads, the retaining ring with nylon dust cover, and the circle of felt
put the felt on top of the retaining ring before installing the pad
I later sandwiched a bit of twaron angel hair in between the dust cover and felt

reassembled (those are the stock grills in the picture)

Thanks--Now how would you compare the sound to the stock pads velour or pleather?

Jack

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #8,227 of 21,860
The stock pads never sit quite right on my head, resulting in poor bass. The J$ are more comfortable and seal much better, and bring the low end up considerably. Changing the grill opens up the sound a bit and takes a lot of that edge off the highs, mostly likely from reduced reflections. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #8,229 of 21,860
Well you can easily remove the rear grills and see what kind of difference it makes. Literally just run your fingernail along the seam of the rear retaining ring until it pops off.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #8,230 of 21,860
But, but, but why mess with the treble? 
size]
 I believe it is one of the best. The only can I would describe as having a weighty and palpable treble...

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #8,232 of 21,860
Quote:
Well you can easily remove the rear grills and see what kind of difference it makes. Literally just run your fingernail along the seam of the rear retaining ring until it pops off.

Maybe if I still had an HE-6 I might!

Quote:
But, but, but why mess with the treble? 
size]
 I believe it is one of the best. The only can I would describe as having a weighty and palpable treble...

Personally I enjoyed the treble on the HE-6 too.  It's just that the response across the range could have been a bit smoother.  That trough in the midrange accentuates the transition to the treble, and makes it seems like there's an etch up there.  If that transition could be smoother, it'd be lovely.

Not sure what I'm doing here or why I'm thinking about this though, I've already left this baby in a dumpster.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #8,233 of 21,860
Quote:

Maybe if I still had an HE-6 I might!

Personally I enjoyed the treble on the HE-6 too.  It's just that the response across the range could have been a bit smoother.  That trough in the midrange accentuates the transition to the treble, and makes it seems like there's an etch up there.  If that transition could be smoother, it'd be lovely.

Not sure what I'm doing here or why I'm thinking about this though, I've already left this baby in a dumpster.

What didn't you like about the Odyssey Stratos?

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #8,235 of 21,860
The precise imaging and spatial aspect of the 6s is a major draw for me. I get lost in well recorded live events. It's rare to get such a 3D presentation in a headphone but on the right sources and amps......... Best I've heard the 6s (imaging) was on the Simaudio Moon Evo I600. The sound made you turn your head as an instrument or vocal started up from nothing. The center staging was precise and defined like nothing else. I love the F series of Mr Pass for authority and speed but if I had FU money, I'd take the Moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back