HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 20, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #1,172 of 21,867

Quote:
Does anybody know if there are genuine leather pads for HE-5 and HE-6 available somewhere? I hate those velvet-like pads, because they collect lots of dust.

It would also be interesting to note any change in sound. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #1,174 of 21,867
Nov 20, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #1,175 of 21,867
HM801 line out --> EF5 --> HE6 only puts me at 9:00 to 10:00 on the volume knob.

Whether the imaging is at it's best though is a different story since I don't really have another amp to compare to other than the Ref1-->Phoenix set up which is very neutral.

I know it's asking a lot, but does anyone who has a good amp to drive the HE-6 and also an HM801 plus EF5 want to compare and let us know if that's even close to how the HE-6 can sound on a good amp?

Thanks,

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #1,176 of 21,867
Dear SS,
     Thanks for your helpful answer again.
     I almost finished will all the hookup now and will begin to do what you said about the HPEQ of
the 4 headphones.
    The HE6 is very great but difficult to drivecbut the ZDTcan do that with ease,   I also have the
Warren Audio 8ft in length , 7ft in balanced 4pin XLR and another 1ft as adapter cable to 1/4"TRS,
however the sound did not come out of the right sided , may be the same problem with the Twag. 
It looks very robust but I will have my electrician to take a look on that before I consult Rick.  It's kinda
expensive to send things back and forth and my electrician had been able to repair my Twag & silver dragon
with the HE5 before with good result.
    I will have to consult you more about the use of realiser A8 and I think one dealer in Thailand
is so enthusiastic that he has already put an ad on the front page of his website about the realiser A8 after
we talked about the HE6 and that I would be going for the ear measurement at AIX and he asked
his connection in Singapore about the product.  He is very quick to advertise , much earlier than
I begin unpacking the realiser A8
    By the way I appreciated Lorr Kramer very much for his help and professionalism and
I also did what you recommended me to do with Dominic, the great helper.
    I will report the resulf of all 4 headphones with the realiser A8 when I can manage with the setup
I will do the burn in of HE6 while learning about the set up and for the Warren cable to be fixed.
Thanks so much again

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #1,177 of 21,867
   I have also compared the HE5, HE6, HD800 and Audeze LCD-2  and used some with Sennheiser HD 600 balanced panorama cable
I have also tried with the Grado HF2 , panorama2 balanced cable.   All the HE5, HE6, HD800and Audeze LCD-2 used Twag.
My ZDT with silver reference transformer can drive all but the HE6 is the most difficult one , I have to use at 12 oclock to 1 oclock.
    After some burn in (I have someone did that for me while I was away), I still think I prefer HE6 along with LCD-2.   The LCD-2 is
great for vocal and has a very nice bass, however the treble, soundstage, transparency, detail is not with HE6 and HD800.   I also like the
bass of HE6, it's different from the LCD-2 but is also very great.  However I think it will  depend on each individual and what kind of music
they listen to.  The LCD2 has a rich warm smooth sound and the musicality. The Sennheiser probably has the best soundstage and the treble
is equal to the HE6 and better than LCD-2 but their   bass quantity and impact is not up to the HE6 or LCD2. 
    I have ordered the Zeus aphroditecu29 gold clad cable to test with the Sennheiser HD800 and Robert told me that it was shipped yesterday.  
I will be able to try more recable within the next 2-3  weeks if I'm not too busy dealing with the realiser A8 which I found it an amazing product
 as SS recommended while I was at the AIX records.   It will be a lot of  fun for the next 2-3 months.  I have  many cables but in Thailand
there's a big group that I can sell my recable with great prices.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,178 of 21,867
I have been able to spend quite a bit of time listening to the HE-6 over the last week.  I'm still not sure when I will get to a formal review, or really serious comparisons, and I have been hoping that the Ultrasone Ed 10 would come in and I could include them in some comparisons.

But in any case, the HE-6 have been really impressive.  With the right amp, they have are highly transparent, have great dynamic capability, and a very wideband neutrality.  They have no obvious colorations, although I am sure over longer term listening some small colorations will get noticed.  They seem to me to be even smoother in the treble than the prototypes were, and although they definitely have more treble energy than some headphones do, the treble is really pure and nuanced, and ultra-clean.

The fairly low efficiency really does mean a pretty powerful amp is needed to make them come alive.  The WA6 was insufficient.  The Leben CS300X was better (from its headphone out), but the Decware Mini-Torri was even better (since using its headphone out is basically 100% the same as using its speaker outs).  Via the Decware, the HE-6 can really be allowed to swing, and swing they do.

It's funny - when I got the Beyer T1's, I was thrilled - they were so much better than any of the other headphones I owned.  But then along came the LCD-2, and now the HE-6, and my T1's are not getting very much head time.  The HE-6 are better than the T1, IMO.  They are more open sounding, and seem to put less in between the music and the listener than the T1, which is a good thing.

As for the HE-6 versus the LCD-2, I am not sure yet.  They are both outstanding, and share some commonalities, but are different enough that one would think it would be easy to have a "favorite".  But I am not finding it to be the case.  It may be a long time before I can decide which I prefer.  I certainly plan to keep both for the long term.  I still can't really believe headphones can sound this good.

That's all for now.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #1,179 of 21,867
Nov 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #1,180 of 21,867
Was wondering what the consensus is on the amount (if any) of burn-in time for Orthos and specifically the HE-6s?

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #1,182 of 21,867
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing with the both of the two newer high end orthodynamic headphones, the HE-6 and LCD-2s?  Any perspective on how the HE-6 compares to the LCD-2 in terms of flatness and accuracy?

I am dying to hear, thanks a bunch.
gs1000.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,183 of 21,867

Quote:
Dear SS,
     Thanks for your helpful answer again.
     I almost finished will all the hookup now and will begin to do what you said about the HPEQ of
the 4 headphones.
    The HE6 is very great but difficult to drivecbut the ZDTcan do that with ease,   I also have the
Warren Audio 8ft in length , 7ft in balanced 4pin XLR and another 1ft as adapter cable to 1/4"TRS,
however the sound did not come out of the right sided , may be the same problem with the Twag. 
It looks very robust but I will have my electrician to take a look on that before I consult Rick.  It's kinda
expensive to send things back and forth and my electrician had been able to repair my Twag & silver dragon
with the HE5 before with good result.
    I will have to consult you more about the use of realiser A8 and I think one dealer in Thailand
is so enthusiastic that he has already put an ad on the front page of his website about the realiser A8 after
we talked about the HE6 and that I would be going for the ear measurement at AIX and he asked
his connection in Singapore about the product.  He is very quick to advertise , much earlier than
I begin unpacking the realiser A8
    By the way I appreciated Lorr Kramer very much for his help and professionalism and
I also did what you recommended me to do with Dominic, the great helper.
    I will report the resulf of all 4 headphones with the realiser A8 when I can manage with the setup
I will do the burn in of HE6 while learning about the set up and for the Warren cable to be fixed.
Thanks so much again

Kiertijal thank you for your review.

Yes you truly have a one of a kind system in your country, and I am sure you enjoyed Lorr and the great helper Dominic and took very good care of your SD card on the way home. AIX is a grow-up playground for audio.

Did you use both your ZDT and Realiser together when you tried your HE-6 ?
If so what did you set the volume control on your Realiser at ?

Thank You.

ss

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,184 of 21,867
My thoughts so far (from memory not A/B)

LCD-2

The main reason for jettisoning the LCD-2 was a comfort issue- I wear glasses and as my head went down the glasses would lift away from my eye. Also for me uncomfortable with sideways movement

I thoroughly enjoyed the overall tone of the LCD-2 but there were other issues:

Detail and speed
My semi vintage RS-1' excel here (I know they have other pitfalls) but on Wish you were here there is someone/thing tapping (very low down the spectrum) this was almost lost
On Penny for your thoughts the fingering of the guitar strings was lost, the speed and attack was also poorer
Child in time (Made in Japan) at the beginning you can hear where Ian Paice is hitting the cymbal - most of this was lost on the LCD-2
there were other example with vocals

When you have had the detail it is very hard to lose it - remember not everyone likes Kelly Brook or Marmite

HE-6
Comfort is much better for me
On the HE-6 I am hearing new things for the first time (not missing things that were there before) and the overall balance is better (than the RS-1)

AMPS

I have the WA6 SE and would say that it's not enough. It is album dependent. Eva Cassidy is fine but even then it's 3/4 clicks off maximum on the stepped attenuator. Genesis - Seconds Out cannot generate enough volume and on max it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

I have ordered a custom cable for my Exposure XXV integrated amp (60W) - should be here next Wednesday

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #1,185 of 21,867

Quote:
Have any one here tried this headphone with Meier Corda Concerto?

Search for Concerto within this thread and you'll find some comments.  I don't have this combo myself, but from what I've read it seems that the Concerto is juuuuuust enough for the HE-6, maybe lacking a bit in power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back