HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #21,586 of 21,867
Good People.
Need your inputs regarding HE6 6screw. Is it worth spending 1500 USD on the 6screw HE6? I already have a HE6SEv1 and need your recommendation. Given that it’s an old pair, I am worried about driver failure.
Thanks.
The bass of the OG is of course awesome. I've heard of some going at $875-1000 range. $1500 is pretty steep - unless it's a code six mod in which case u should buy it. It's anywhere from 7-12 years old. What else comes with it?

Risking the rath of the OG HE-6 folks. Modified and EQ'd I find the treble of the v1 more consistent and with less ringing/annoyance. The bass impact and timbre - just can't match the OG. You could also keep your v1 and shoot for another sound with that kind of money. Also w/o EQ the OG might require updated amp and/or DAC.

BTW, what's your amp and DAC?

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #21,587 of 21,867
Good People.
Need your inputs regarding HE6 6screw. Is it worth spending 1500 USD on the 6screw HE6? I already have a HE6SEv1 and need your recommendation. Given that it’s an old pair, I am worried about driver failure.
Thanks.
I've owned an OG HE-6. It had 4 screws, but the buyer who bought them off of me said it was 6 screw driver that was implanted into a 4 screw chassis, so I don't know what to make of it. I currently have an HE6SE.

In my opinion, no it's not worth it. I think the recent hype from certain reviewers has driven up the price to an absurd point - I am bitter about it haha. I was able to get mine for 850 USD about 4-5 years ago in excellent condition.

Honestly, if an old pair has lasted this long, it's bound to last a while longer. Lots of Hifimans are DOA or dead within a few months so I think you'd be pretty safe if they still work after a decade or so.

Just in case you'd like a more "objective" comparison, they're more or less the same with the same pads - honestly, they could look like both left and right channels of a single HE-6 with unit variances. In terms of subjective performance, I don't really remember as I sold my OG HE-6 about 3 years ago.

OG HE-6 vs HE6SE Jerg pads.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #21,589 of 21,867
Nov 3, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #21,590 of 21,867
I think there were a couple. This one (6 screw) was listed at 2.5kUSD, then 2kUSD. Dunno what it sold for in private. Honestly, at the 800USD pricing they were going for (6 screws) from a couple years ago, yeah that would have been worth it. $2k? Unless you are hardcore about the HE6 and have the money to burn, no I wouldn't pay that much for a pair. Just too much risk in case it dies and you can't replace it or the drivers with original models.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...ble-extra-pads.32055/page-2#hfc-comment-52746

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #21,591 of 21,867
I've owned an OG HE-6. It had 4 screws, but the buyer who bought them off of me said it was 6 screw driver that was implanted into a 4 screw chassis, so I don't know what to make of it. I currently have an HE6SE.

In my opinion, no it's not worth it. I think the recent hype from certain reviewers has driven up the price to an absurd point - I am bitter about it haha. I was able to get mine for 850 USD about 4-5 years ago in excellent condition.

Honestly, if an old pair has lasted this long, it's bound to last a while longer. Lots of Hifimans are DOA or dead within a few months so I think you'd be pretty safe if they still work after a decade or so.

Just in case you'd like a more "objective" comparison, they're more or less the same with the same pads - honestly, they could look like both left and right channels of a single HE-6 with unit variances. In terms of subjective performance, I don't really remember as I sold my OG HE-6 about 3 years ago.

I heard both the v1 and 6 screw on my Rag 1 and Bryston using DCA Ether Angled pads the bass impact is not similar. The 6 screw also had a much spikier treble and the v1 had a bigger 1.8k dip. The v2 and v1 are very similar - although the v2 1.8k dip is tamed a bit and the highs and instrumental focus is a bit better. But neither one ever once over thousands of hours I have on the v1 and 200 I put on a broken in v2 did my eyes involuntarily close - very unlike the loaner 6 screw which did it dozens of times on the same tracks at my accustomed volume.

Somewhere way back someone was talking about how HFM said that the HE-6 and HE-6 SE were the same. Good marketing. HFM has been caught red handed telling stories. Like the lies they told about the HE-5 SE and the 5XX. Now the OG 6 and 6 SE and 6 SE v2 are closer than those two ridiculous pairs I just mentioned, but:

Differences:

1. Mylar thickness not the same, the handling, coating, tension - all likely different. Major audio consequences.
2. The cables - the 6 screw had a pretty decently built one, but it was prone to oxidation. Both SE's have that morbidly bad surgical tubing crap.
3. Pads different (you took care of that).
4. The body is made of different material, meaning different resonances.
5. Headbands different - affects fit and FR even if adjusted properly on a given persons head.
6. Shape of the ear facing stators different - big sonic consequences. The SE's have thinner stators, on the way to "stealth". The OG really badly needed the fuzzor mod (or code six) just like its very close brother the HE-500.
7. OG had a 1/4 round piece of cloth installed in the upper right quadrant - no such beast on the SE's.
8. More glue used on the 6 SE v1 than the OG 6 screw.

They are not built the same, and they do not sound the same (under the conditions I described).

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #21,592 of 21,867
I think there were a couple. This one (6 screw) was listed at 2.5kUSD, then 2kUSD. Dunno what it sold for in private. Honestly, at the 800USD pricing they were going for (6 screws) from a couple years ago, yeah that would have been worth it. $2k? Unless you are hardcore about the HE6 and have the money to burn, no I wouldn't pay that much for a pair. Just too much risk in case it dies and you can't replace it or the drivers with original models.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...ble-extra-pads.32055/page-2#hfc-comment-52746

I've got one of the unobtanium 4screw early version hardwired blah blah blahs. I've never had anyone knocking on my door offering me $2k for it though :triportsad:

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #21,593 of 21,867
I've got one of the unobtanium 4screw early version hardwired blah blah blahs. I've never had anyone knocking on my door offering me $2k for it though :triportsad:
Maybe you will now that people know :k701smile:

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #21,594 of 21,867
Would you have parted with it in 20xx for $2k? I still have a Code-X I will never let go of.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #21,595 of 21,867
Would you have parted with it in 20xx for $2k? I still have a Code-X I will never let go of.

If someone were to throw $2k my way... at this point, probably yes.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #21,596 of 21,867
May I ask for velour/suede/alcantara earpad recommendations to add body to the sound without decreasing soundstage size as much as possible ? Currently I have very old 3rd part velours from previous owner but inner foam is dried, hard which means not best comfortable.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #21,597 of 21,867
May I ask for velour/suede/alcantara earpad recommendations to add body to the sound without decreasing soundstage size as much as possible ? Currently I have very old 3rd part velours from previous owner but inner foam is dried, hard which means not best comfortable.
ZMF suede pads would be worth checking out. The Universe pad is a good place to start. I would usually suggest the perforated version for an open back ZMF headphone, but you may get away with the solid pad on the HE6. Perhaps some owners here might have more experience about that combo and will chime in.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #21,598 of 21,867
If someone were to throw $2k my way... at this point, probably yes.
Don't make me DM you!

6m-rain.gif

I'm confused by what you're looking for out of a pad. If by "add body" you mean more midbass, you'll be looking at something like the old Audeze Vegans or a similar type pad (Dekoni and ZMF make some). Those will reduce the treble a hair over the stock velour (I'm not sure which velours you have).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #21,599 of 21,867
ZMF suede pads
Thanks but I have had Eikons with two pairs of earpads. One suede and one lambskin. Suede was sucked out from weight in sound.
I'm confused by what you're looking for out of a pad. If by "add body" you mean more midbass, you'll be looking at something like the old Hifiman Vegans or a similar type pad (Dekoni and ZMF make some). Those will reduce the treble a hair over the stock velour (I'm not sure which velours you have).
Thank you too. With adding a body I mean add weight to complete range from bass to treble. I know current velours make huge difference in that in compare to sheepskins. I need more precise recommendations because I know ZMF and Deconi companies but do not want to end with another pile of unnecessary earpads so please only checked in person models. If old HiFiMan Vegans are able to purchase I ask for a tip where to buy them.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #21,600 of 21,867
Thanks but I have had Eikons with two pairs of earpads. One suede and one lambskin. Suede was sucked out from weight in sound.

Thank you too. With adding a body I mean add weight to complete range from bass to treble. I know current velours make huge difference in that in compare to sheepskins. I need more precise recommendations because I know ZMF and Deconi companies but do not want to end with another pile of unnecessary earpads so please only checked in person models. If old HiFiMan Vegans are able to purchase I ask for a tip where to buy them.

I think we need to step back a bit. When you say "complete range from bass to treble" that's just done by turning up the volume. Pads kind of act like an EQ in that they may elevate certain areas relative to others. There are other aspects to pads, but let's start here.

So if you're unhappy with the pads you have, you need to figure out which regions of sound you want to increase relative to other frequencies.

For example: Since you said "weight" that often is perceived in vocals and strings as midbass. If you want more mids and mid bass, a velour type pad is more better. BUT, a velour pad will also decrease the treble and soften the subbass impact.

1667942080794.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back