HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #21,226 of 21,867
I have one too, but preffer stock velvet pads.

IMO ...bass leaks into mids with J$

I have a moderately heavy damping scheme on mine between the pads and driver, with a layer of felt and a pillow of "angel hair" aramid fibers. Smoothes out a lot of the response and that layer of felt has a similar-ish effect as perforated pads and getting rid of the boxiness of the deeper leather.
edit: and my own "fuzzor" from before fuzzor was a thing lol; probably a bit deeper than most

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #21,227 of 21,867
Had the J$ pads and they were good but I like the audeze vegan pads. Gives a little more sound stage and tames the highs for me a little more. But everyone there own I guess.

Aug 28, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #21,228 of 21,867
I still have one or two spare sets of J$ Beyer pads and one J$ slanted Denon pad.

I do like the Audeze vegans, though they get a bit too floppy unless you use the tape to hold them in place.

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #21,229 of 21,867
I have a moderately heavy damping scheme on mine between the pads and driver, with a layer of felt and a pillow of "angel hair" aramid fibers. Smoothes out a lot of the response and that layer of felt has a similar-ish effect as perforated pads and getting rid of the boxiness of the deeper leather.
edit: and my own "fuzzor" from before fuzzor was a thing lol; probably a bit deeper than most

Can you pls post a pic

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #21,230 of 21,867
Can you pls post a pic

It's not the best album, but here's what I took years ago:
https://www.head-fi.org/media/albums/he-6-mods.1155236/

I don't have any pictures of the fuzzor or the damping puff that I placed between the nylons and felt.

The fuzzor was a very soft self-adhesive foam sheet (maybe 1/4" thick?) that I cut into thin strips a little skinnier than the magnets and covered every available spot over the driver on the ear side. I think on a friend's pair I did this on the back side as well but the difference was minimal.

The stuffing is twaron "angel hair" aramid fibers, though you can experiment with what works best for you.

The stock grill was replaced with a handmade one that I cut from a wastebasket from the dollar store.

Hope that helps.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #21,231 of 21,867
Anyone think there is anything as punchy, yet tight, and better with dynamics than a properly-driven (4-screw for me) HE-6? It is so hard for me to imagine it. I am stuck thinking low sensitivity is best at the moment. The Cavalli Liquid Gold was designed with the HE-6 in mind, so it doesn't surprise me, but I am curious of the opinions of others. I have not yet tried out any of the newer models.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #21,233 of 21,867
Anyone think there is anything as punchy, yet tight, and better with dynamics than a properly-driven (4-screw for me) HE-6? It is so hard for me to imagine it. I am stuck thinking low sensitivity is best at the moment. The Cavalli Liquid Gold was designed with the HE-6 in mind, so it doesn't surprise me, but I am curious of the opinions of others. I have not yet tried out any of the newer models.
I will counter you and ask how your LCD-3s sound off the LAu? Are yours the non-fazor/Classic version? I've been wanting a pair of those for years, and you've even for the same amp as me and a pair of 4-screw HE-6s~

As for your question, I haven't found anything better yet, but the ones I've got my eye on are the Abyss TCs and I hope to land a pair in the next few months.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #21,234 of 21,867
If anyone is selling a 4 screw, or considering it, I'm your buyer :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #21,235 of 21,867
Curious how you would tell if you might have a prototype of the HE-6?

I coordinated a Chicago Head-Fi meet where Dr. Bian sent a pair for the meet that I ended up buying. I remember him saying it should be the same as what is being released.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #21,236 of 21,867
Curious how you would tell if you might have a prototype of the HE-6?

I coordinated a Chicago Head-Fi meet where Dr. Bian sent a pair for the meet that I ended up buying. I remember him saying it should be the same as what is being released.
So I would separate them into prototype, pre-prod and prod version. The version you have is the same as a version I have, which is pre-prod that has a square bar that looks relatively crappy lol. The production versions from what I understand, have the rounded bar. The prototype did not have the support bar on the outside of the cups. The earliest production versions of the he6 4-screw had a smooth silver yoke but production models from what I understand had the rounded smooth support bar. Damping on the prototype ear side was also a mosaic like pattern. Not to mention of course the prototype had the leather cups. This is the one I have been chasing for so damn long lol. Hence the gizillion wtb proto bumps :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #21,237 of 21,867
What bar?

……EDIT: Ah yes, support bar on the magnet grids thingey
Need to go to sleep

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #21,238 of 21,867
I’ve been trying to come to a deal with a seller for a 4-screw HE-6 but there is a gash on one of the ear cup. There is a discount factored in but just wanted to get a second or third opinion to see if it’s still worth pursuing.

edit: I meant to say ear cup, not drivers (thanks for the catch @jamato8)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #21,239 of 21,867
I’ve been trying to come to a deal with a seller for a 4-screw preproduction HE-6 but there is a gash on one of the drivers. There is a discount factored in but just wanted to get a second or third opinion to see if it’s still worth pursuing.
That is the ear cup, not the driver. Four screw are hard to find. I wouldn't worry about it if they work correctly as a ding on the ear cup doesn't mean much. I have a 4 screw and they are very good.

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #21,240 of 21,867
I’ve been trying to come to a deal with a seller for a 4-screw preproduction HE-6 but there is a gash on one of the drivers. There is a discount factored in but just wanted to get a second or third opinion to see if it’s still worth pursuing.
do you have other images? How do you know it's a pre-production he6, or do you mean it's an early production model? I've been looking for a pre-prod or prototype for a long long time. Even posting weekly hundreds of times on the classifieds and even on the regular forum before classifieds. The best I've gotten on the proto is a dude trolling me telling me he has one, and he is going to throw it out because it's out of warranty lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back