HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #20,604 of 21,860
When it first came out, it was priced about 1K for the first month, I think, then went up after. I paid 1K for mine.
Exactly. There was an introduction offer, but the original retail price was USD 1199. Later HiFiMan changed the prices for HE-500 (down $200) and HE-6 (up $100).

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #20,605 of 21,860
Exactly. There was an introduction offer, but the original retail price was USD 1199. Later HiFiMan changed the prices for HE-500 (down $200) and HE-6 (up $100).

Yes. Like I posted in the HE-6Se thread:

"I'm a current owner of a 4-screw vintage HE-6. Bought it new in Nov. 2010. Some people have complained that it is bright. Not so with me. It is only bright if the amp, DAC and sources are bright. I'm using a Linn Klout solid state speaker amp (http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/amplifiers/linn/klout.html), a Bel Can Pre2P solid state preamp (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/belcanto_pre2p.htm), an Exogal Comet DAC (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/exogal-comet-digital-to-analog-converter/) and an Oppo BDP-95 transport."

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #20,606 of 21,860
We agree. HE-6 doesn't need super beefy speaker amps to avoid sounding anemic / light / bright (as long as the output impedance is very low). I feel confident that if people seal pads like ZMF Ori or Brainwawz HM5 leather / protein leather to the cups, then (almost) nobody will find HE-6 light sounding. Some might even find HE-6 to sound a bit dark with certain amps and/or DAC's.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #20,607 of 21,860
I remember (when they first came out) complaints about brightness but I was thinking it just puts back the treble that the LCD-2 left out (and I hated those and sold them within days)

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #20,610 of 21,860
THREAD I PUT ON THE HE6-SE THREAD LAST NIGHT BY MISTAKE. NOW IN THE CORRECT THREAD ;

" I am listening to my HE6 (purchased about 2 weeks ago from a UK Headphone company as ex-demo headphones) connected to the HiFiMan Adapter Box which is linked to my Chord Electronics Choral Mezzo 140 amp. The Mezzo is connected to my Chord Electronics Choral Prima Pre-amp which is connected to my Chord Electronics Choral QBD76 DAC which is connected to my Chord Electronics Choral MKI Blu CD Transporter. It sounds amazing for all genres of music. I want to listen to music all the time through this set-up. I have listened to music through the HE6's for +2 hours with no discomfort at all. I'm enjoying the music that much I forget I'm wearing headphones. The great thing about this hifi system setup is I can also listen to music or the TV through speakers as well.
Before having the HE6's, I had the BHSE and 009's linked to my QBD76 DAC and MKI Blu CD Transporter. The sound was great but I found the detail and sparkly trebles a bit too much for long listening periods and kept analyzing the music all the time rather than just enjoy the music and sound as I am now able to do with the HE6's.

The Bass from the HE6's is also far superior than the BHSE & 009's. The system I now have is also easier to live with (easier to dust and doesn't get as hot as the BHSE) and looks great in the Chord Choral rack. I don't have to bother with tubes either. Also as well as the big plus of also having a speaker system I can also use different high impedence headphones too.

I liked the BHSE and 009's very much, but with the system I now have, I don't feel I am missing anything musically, in fact I like the sound more now, plus I had extra funds to spend after selling the BHSE and 009's which helped towards financing the Mezzo 140 and the new speakers (will buy the Focal Electra 1008 Be's). I also have a full Chord Choral (with two Mezzo 140's mono-blocked) speaker (Focal Electra 1038 Be's) system in Spain and playing the smaller version of the Chord Choral system in the UK through the HE6's the Chord Electronics Choral sound signature is still there as I hear in Spain.

So all in all I am very happy switching to the HE6's with no regrets at all. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back