HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #20,537 of 21,860
Then i don't understand why the level was still quite low even though the volume pot was set to max with the Mjo. Note that with some classical recording i'm around 14 o' clock with a 70w integrated speaker, Wich i beleive should be around 9w or so with the 50 ohms he6. Hungry person !
Sounds like the signal level is set low somewhere in the chain. Or something isn’t hooked up correctly. Your amp should do fine from the speaker taps. Dies yhe mojo have a variable output volume? I don’t remember.

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #20,538 of 21,860
Then i don't understand why the level was still quite low even though the volume pot was set to max with the Mjo. Note that with some classical recording i'm around 14 o' clock with a 70w integrated speaker, Wich i beleive should be around 9w or so with the 50 ohms he6. Hungry person !
14 o'clock, I take that as 2 o'clock. That would be somewhat more than halfway on a normal volume dial. How much this is in terms of power is impossible to say because gain varies wildly from amp to amp.

For reference, my Master 6 has a max power of 7W @ 50 Ohms, but I usually listen at "25" out of "100" on the (exponential) volume control. At volume 35 or 40 most recordings will be ear damagingly loud. I have never ever experienced clipping or any strain - even with the Soloist.

I actually measured my setup once with the Soloist + HE-6 and got an average level of 101dB at max volume. 101dB as average listening level is immensely loud and surely ear damaging. (With average RMS in the track down at -9dB this translates to peaks at 110dB.)

Do you have a digital volume control before the DAC somewhere - like in the computer? - or a variable output from the DAC?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #20,539 of 21,860
14 o'clock, I take that as 2 o'clock. That would be somewhat more than halfway on a normal volume dial. How much this is in terms of power is impossible to say because gain varies wildly from amp to amp.

For reference, my Master 6 has a max power of 7W @ 50 Ohms, but I usually listen at "25" out of "100" on the (exponential) volume control. At volume 35 or 40 most recordings will be ear damagingly loud. I have never ever experienced clipping or any strain - even with the Soloist.

I actually measured my setup once with the Soloist + HE-6 and got an average level of 101dB at max volume. 101dB as average listening level is immensely loud and surely ear damaging. (With average RMS in the track down at -9dB this translates to peaks at 110dB.)

Do you have a digital volume control before the DAC somewhere - like in the computer? - or a variable output from the DAC?

I had several dac before i settled on the mydac, all of them had the same output, something around 2v i beleive. And also had several laptop and pc to wich the dacs were connected.
I just think that my listening volume is maybe way above average. (Happy to know that i'm still capable to hear beyond 16khz though at 38 years old).

(Yes sorry, 14 o clock is the equivalent of 2' in the us, we just...don't stop at 12', instead of puttin either am or pm, we go all the way to 23 o' clock here in europe)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #20,540 of 21,860
I had several dac before i settled on the mydac, all of them had the same output, something around 2v i beleive. And also had several laptop and pc to wich the dacs were connected.
I just think that my listening volume is maybe way above average. (Happy to know that i'm still capable to hear beyond 16khz though at 38 years old).

(Yes sorry, 14 o clock is the equivalent of 2' in the us, we just...don't stop at 12', instead of puttin either am or pm, we go all the way to 23 o' clock here in europe)
Could you try measuring your average listening level? I have a proper SPL meter, but a smartphone with a SPL-meter app could tell you an approximate of your SPL.
(BTW. I am also European and use 24-hour and not AM/PM when making appointments, but when I talk about the volume dial I refer to a regular analog watch and these only show from 1 to 12 hours.)

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #20,546 of 21,860
Yes fair point... I may need a balanced cable ASAP..

Cavalli Liquid Gold

Yup, pretty sure you're only using half the amp.

For fully balanced amps like that, I'd take the same approach that Birgir's approach (Mjolnir Audio) and not even include single ended inputs or outputs. And of course, ideally the amp would convert single ended signal into balanced (preferably using Nelson Pass's super symmetry design), in which case I would include single ended RCA inputs then.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #20,547 of 21,860
he-6schiit2.jpg
I feel like I am the only one using a ragnarok with the HE-6. Loving the sound I'm getting. Feels like the perfect setup.
What I do miss is the comfort from the HE-400i ear pads. Anyone know if the focus pads change the sound notably from the stock leather pads?
Only seeking increased comfort without changing SQ (unless I'm convinced its for the better).

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #20,548 of 21,860

I feel like I am the only one using a ragnarok with the HE-6. Loving the sound I'm getting. Feels like the perfect setup.
What I do miss is the comfort from the HE-400i ear pads. Anyone know if the focus pads change the sound notably from the stock leather pads?
Only seeking increased comfort without changing SQ (unless I'm convinced its for the better).

Pretty sure they won't change the sound much, but will improve it slightly. FocusPad-A was my favorite pads for the LFF Code-6, though I never used any of the older HiFiMan pads on them. I know tons of people end up using FocusPads or FocusPad-A on older HiFiMan headphones and have never seen anyone favor stock pads.

Try them out. They're cheap and super easy to swap in and out.

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #20,550 of 21,860
I have found that pads make a pretty big difference.

In general yes, I was speaking specifically of FocusPad/FocusPad-A vs stock HiFiMan velour pads since they have fairly similar dimensions.

I think it may be plausible to also generalize the difference between thick pads that put your ears farther away from the driver versus thinner pads on the HE-6. Thicker ones make it more mid centric and bass light, and can improve imaging from my experience, although I haven't found one that didn't make the treble worse. Thinner pads can increase the bass more, and the best treble for the HE-6 seems to come from HiFiMan's own pads unsurprisingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back