HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #20,240 of 21,860
Just did a quick search and stumbled over this:

"The Hifiman HE-6 planar-magnetic headphones (similar operating principal as Magnepan speakers) can be hooked directly to any power amp, so I couldn’t help but try the headphones with the J2. Wow, the sound was oh-so transparent, definitely on par with Stax electrostatic headphones. But the J2/HE-6 combination was vastly more dynamic and the bass kicked harder than any ‘stat phones I’ve ever tried. The HE-6 is one of the most open-sounding headphones around, and the J2 only seemed to enhance that quality. Soundstage width and depth on Brian Eno’s Small Craft on a Milk Sea CD were truly expansive. My only reservation was the bass. Other amps generated gutsier drive and more low-end oomph than the J2 did with the HE-6." (Quote by Steve Guttenberg)
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/first-watt-j2-power-amplifier/

As always, this is (also) just one guys opinion...

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #20,241 of 21,860
Just did a quick search and stumbled over this:

"The Hifiman HE-6 planar-magnetic headphones (similar operating principal as Magnepan speakers) can be hooked directly to any power amp, so I couldn’t help but try the headphones with the J2. Wow, the sound was oh-so transparent, definitely on par with Stax electrostatic headphones. But the J2/HE-6 combination was vastly more dynamic and the bass kicked harder than any ‘stat phones I’ve ever tried. The HE-6 is one of the most open-sounding headphones around, and the J2 only seemed to enhance that quality. Soundstage width and depth on Brian Eno’s Small Craft on a Milk Sea CD were truly expansive. My only reservation was the bass. Other amps generated gutsier drive and more low-end oomph than the J2 did with the HE-6." (Quote by Steve Guttenberg)
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/first-watt-j2-power-amplifier/

As always, this is (also) just one guys opinion...
Excellent find! I have to agree with everything that Steve describes about the HE-6/J2 synergy. The best part about the J2 is it makes all of my transducers preform like that. Audiophile Ambrosia is a excellent description for the J2.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #20,242 of 21,860
I've been raving about the J2 for a while now and I'm glad everyone can appreciate how good the pairing with HE-6 is.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #20,243 of 21,860
I've been raving about the J2 for a while now and I'm glad everyone can appreciate how good the pairing with HE-6 is.
It not only pairs well with the HE-6, but all of my other headphones and speakers too. It's like no other amp I've had the pleasure of listening too. Kudos to Nelson Pass for such a great piece of audio gear.

Now I just need to find a preamp that will pair well with it.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #20,244 of 21,860
It not only pairs well with the HE-6, but all of my other headphones and speakers too. It's like no other amp I've had the pleasure of listening too. Kudos to Nelson Pass for such a great piece of audio gear.

Now I just need to find a preamp that will pair well with it.

Get a DAVE and run it with Crossfeed level 3 directly into the J2 as a DAC/Preamp :wink:

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #20,247 of 21,860
You cant use the Sonica or iDSD directly as preamp?
I've tried the Sonica and it is a so so preamp with the J2. I haven't tried the iDSD, but the input and output will not fit my needs. I'm using my Musical Fidelity M6sis preout right now and it works well. I want to find a pre that has quite a few options like the Freya. Another member on head-fi said that the Freya is lackluster. I ordered a Freya and should have it next week hopefully. If I don't like it I can send it back.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #20,248 of 21,860
Just found another great hifi amp pairing with the he-6 in the amazing WEGA MODUL 42V made in 1978.

fd5837bc6bf8e42c42bd8605fac17fe8c4ccf562.jpg

The Design comes from Master Hartmut Esslinger (Apple).

The Modul 42V uses an enorrmous toroidal transformer inherited from the STR-7800SD, heatsinks from the same Sony vintage (cut in two and placed differently), 2x 15,000µF of main caps and two pairs of Hitachi 2SD675 / 2SB655 output transistors (12A/125W).

If filters, two-step loudness (the normal loundness step sounds AMAZING with the HE-6 ), tone controls (excellent), tape dubbing, LEDs and other 1978 goodies abound, the 42V also sports an MC phono stage, a four-gang attenuator, LEC transistors, an output relay and constant-current circuits. Available in near-black and very light grey (Hellgrau - better) ; besides its pretty and extremely well-balanced looks, the 42V is a sound bolid : fast, powerful, stable, reliable.

The total production run should be of less than 4000 pieces !!

The sound is fast, lush, very balanced accross the whole spectrum. Extremely detailed and ultra wide soundstage. Bass punch is extraordinary. Truly amazing. Far better than anything I heard since today even 3/5kUSD range amp. My source is an AK240.

Just listen to it through the Hifiman adaptor i am waiting for the cable to plug the he-6 directly :wink: I expect a even better result :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #20,249 of 21,860
Well, I'm still waiting to get my First Watt F1J back and get it hooked up. Wondering if it'll compete with the rave feedback the J2 gets...? After a very long and unexpected journey, I have owned the amp for nearly a year, but have never gotten to hook it up and have a listen with the HE-6s.

That new talk about the Code-Sex has me wondering about modding a pair of HE-6s, as well. I think I'll always keep a stock pair, or at least a non-magnet screwery modded pair, but the thought of a second pair that sound somehow majestically magical, that makes me go hmmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back