HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 14, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #19,321 of 21,860
  I excitedly affixed my vegan pads to my HE6 without planning for their removal. I'm not sure I could remove them without tearing them severely.

You probably can't. I tore one of mine. Decided to remove the fuzzor mod after applying the pads with double sided taped directly to the cups.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #19,322 of 21,860
The typical method is to touch the tape down on a shirt or something to remove some of the stickiness...

Or I just use the mounting rings because I'm a slacker like that.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #19,324 of 21,860
Finally, I can join the club!

I had been on the hunt for a set for a while, then turned my attention to specifically looking for a 4-screw (2010-2013) set. That was a terrible idea and added so much time. Luckily though I found a semi-local buyer and snatched up a nearly mint condition 4-screw for a pretty decent price right when I'd decided to stop looking for a while :p

They have some of the nicest bass I've ever heard. The impact and tactility are fantastic. I do think that for technicalities the HEK are better. But damn are these 'phones fun. Lucky I don't have to choose between them.

I'm running them balanced, but tested single ended of the same amp too and clearly preferred balanced. Unfortunately I have to wait several months to try them off my Xindak A600 speaker amp, is packed away from a recent move :frowning2:

Anyway, still lots to listen and figure out about the headphones, and then to mod, but for now I'm damn impressed with them and I'm so happy I stayed in their trail.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #19,325 of 21,860
Finally, I can join the club!

I had been on the hunt for a set for a while, then turned my attention to specifically looking for a 4-screw (2010-2013) set. That was a terrible idea and added so much time. Luckily though I found a semi-local buyer and snatched up a nearly mint condition 4-screw for a pretty decent price right when I'd decided to stop looking for a while :p

They have some of the nicest bass I've ever heard. The impact and tactility are fantastic. I do think that for technicalities the HEK are better. But damn are these 'phones fun. Lucky I don't have to choose between them.

I'm running them balanced, but tested single ended of the same amp too and clearly preferred balanced. Unfortunately I have to wait several months to try them off my Xindak A600 speaker amp, is packed away from a recent move :frowning2:

Anyway, still lots to listen and figure out about the headphones, and then to mod, but for now I'm damn impressed with them and I'm so happy I stayed in their trail.

Welcome to the club Benny-x....

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #19,327 of 21,860
Recently purchased my HE-6 from a fellow head-fi'er and I couldn't be happier. Even out of my V200/V800 stack, the 6's best my LCD-X's in nearly every category of performance. Mods made the difference even greater. Looks like I'm a HiFiman convert.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #19,328 of 21,860
  Recently purchased my HE-6 from a fellow head-fi'er and I couldn't be happier. Even out of my V200/V800 stack, the 6's best my LCD-X's in nearly every category of performance. Mods made the difference even greater. Looks like I'm a HiFiman convert.

Which do you prefer for solo piano?

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #19,329 of 21,860
Hi everybody,
I think that I have asked this question previously, but, as I haven't got any answer, I'm repeating it. 
Do you think that nfb28 has enough power to drive he6 adequately? Does any body have an experience with it?

I'm asking this question because I think, I like my t1 more and my friends are also agree with me. I especially believe that t1 has a better imagination of stage and better soundstage. Although that he6 has somehow better bass, but its presentation of stage is somehow dull in comparison of T1's.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #19,330 of 21,860

Which do you prefer for solo piano?

Depends on the genre and mic technique used to capture the performance. In general, I find myself liking the 6's more for more intimate settings (close-mic'd solo piano jazz - for example, the Thelonious Monk recordings on Columbia.) The improved transient response makes piano jazz a very dynamic experience. 

For the more spacious acoustic environments, it's a tossup. I like the depth of the X's soundstage and the slightly less intimate sound as it allows me to better place the pianist in a well-treated concert hall. Like I'm in a seat further from the stage. The 6's are ultimately still more revealing and dynamic, like a closer seat to the performance. Just comes down to preference. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #19,331 of 21,860
  Hi everybody,
I think that I have asked this question previously, but, as I haven't got any answer, I'm repeating it. 
Do you think that nfb28 has enough power to drive he6 adequately? Does any body have an experience with it?

I'm asking this question because I think, I like my t1 more and my friends are also agree with me. I especially believe that t1 has a better imagination of stage and better soundstage. Although that he6 has somehow better bass, but its presentation of stage is somehow dull in comparison of T1's.

I don't think anyone here has that particular amp, so no answer for that reason. After checking it out on the net, I think the answer probably is "no" - especially if you are using normal output and not balanced output. It may be plenty loud enough, but that's not what it's all about concerning driving HE-6. This is based on what I read on the Audio-gd site though: I haven't heard it myself.

Audio-gd says it's a mid-range DAC-amp, which means it's not a high end product. HE-6 is a high end headphone which sounds better and better, the better signal i receives, so in order to get the best out of it, I would say you need a high end amp (and DAC + source) hear what it can do.

However, I would suggest you ask people about how HE-6 and T1 compares concerning soundstage and imaging. I'm sure someone here has or has heard T1 side by side to HE-6.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #19,332 of 21,860

Audio-gd says it's a mid-range DAC-amp, which means it's not a high end product. HE-6 is a high end headphone which sounds better and better, the better signal i receives, so in order to get the best out of it, I would say you need a high end amp (and DAC + source) hear what it can do.

Mid range in their line up but performance wise it's quite safe to stay NFB-28 is high end. Even if the price isn't.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #19,333 of 21,860
I wouldn't buy that for the HE-6. Why not just not go with a speaker amp that can be had for less than that and sound way better? How many posts does one need of X user doubting speaker amps for two years and then finally trying one to find they destroy their previous headphone amp when driving the HE-6, that they suddenly lift a veil between the user and the sound? A good speaker amp can be had for less than $500, and while I doubt that this level will bring you end-game performance as with something from Firstwatt, Pass Labs, Krell, etc., it will likely top most headphone amps costing multiple thousands of dollars for this headphone.

I was transfixed by my HE-6 for four hours last evening from my modest vintage Bryston 2B amp, which I purchased for $300, despite having the Utopia on hand. The HE-6 was so enjoyable yet technically impressive that I questioned why I have more expensive gears at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back