HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 25, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #17,196 of 21,860
Does anyone know the size of the 4 screws holding the earcup/driver (whatever you call it) to the headband? Mine had loctite, so I nearly stripped 2 of them... So I want to get new.
M2 threads 6mm length? 

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #17,197 of 21,860

Instead of. The fuzzor took away a bit from visceralness and clarity.

Thank you for pics of mods will give it a go when i receive my pairs .

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #17,198 of 21,860

Instead of. The fuzzor took away a bit from visceralness and clarity.

Anyone tried this with focus pads? I'm using focus pads now and this mod beats the fuzzor hands down for me.

I stripped the fuzzor in stages and tested the headphone each time - no fuzzor at all is best for me.

Will try this with the Vegan pads later and see which works best. If anyone has already done this A/B testing and wants to share their findings I would be keen to know.

Onto the Blutak mod.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #17,199 of 21,860
Anyone tried this with focus pads? I'm using focus pads now and this mod beats the fuzzor hands down for me.

I stripped the fuzzor in stages and tested the headphone each time - no fuzzor at all is best for me.

Will try this with the Vegan pads later and see which works best. If anyone has already done this A/B testing and wants to share their findings I would be keen to know.

Onto the Blutak mod.

Hifiman pads tend to have minimal reflections. It's more visceral, especially the stock velours but at the expense of imaging which the vegans do best. Also the Focus pads have a weird peak somewhere that botherse a lot. Oh and they make my skin itchy.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #17,200 of 21,860
Hifiman pads tend to have minimal reflections. It's more visceral, especially the stock velours but at the expense of imaging which the vegans do best. Also the Focus pads have a weird peak somewhere that botherse a lot. Oh and they make my skin itchy.

Thank you. I am getting a treble spike. Will try the Vegans.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #17,201 of 21,860
Vegans are better. Even with very crudely done felt cut outs they are better than the Focus Pads.

Also did the BluTak mod. Bass seems a little sharper and taunter, but that could just be in my head.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #17,202 of 21,860
I have two HE-6s here, one of them is my brothers. One HE-6 is stock with Vegan pads with inner fuzzor mod. I feel this sounds better without the fuzzor mod on the magnets, it still has the stock felt triangle and sounds very good.  With the Vegan pad fuzzored, I feel this was a big improvement in clarity compared to either a stock HE-6 with Vegan pads or the HE-6 with the fuzzor mod and Vegan pads.

The other HE-6 has the Focus A pads, I feel this sounds better with the fuzzor mod. Maybe the mistake some people has with the fuzzor mod is it is too wide, so its too close to the edges of the magnets. It’s best with about half a millimetre space on each side. I’ve also experimented with lots of different felt for the fuzzor mod (soft, thicker, more fluffy) but I found the best by far is a type of stiff felt I got from a hobby site in the UK.

Sound wise I feel they both have benefits - as the Vegan pads is more angled and further away from your ears - there is better staging, layering and comfort. The Focus A pads give more focus, dynamics and tighter bass to my ears.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #17,203 of 21,860
  I have two HE-6s here, one of them is my brothers. One HE-6 is stock with Vegan pads with inner fuzzor mod. I feel this sounds better without the fuzzor mod on the magnets, it still has the stock felt triangle and sounds very good.  With the Vegan pad fuzzored, I feel this was a big improvement in clarity compared to either a stock HE-6 with Vegan pads or the HE-6 with the fuzzor mod and Vegan pads.

The other HE-6 has the Focus A pads, I feel this sounds better with the fuzzor mod. Maybe the mistake some people has with the fuzzor mod is it is too wide, so its too close to the edges of the magnets. It’s best with about half a millimetre space on each side. I’ve also experimented with lots of different felt for the fuzzor mod (soft, thicker, more fluffy) but I found the best by far is a type of stiff felt I got from a hobby site in the UK.

Sound wise I feel they both have benefits - as the Vegan pads is more angled and further away from your ears - there is better staging, layering and comfort. The Focus A pads give more focus, dynamics and tighter bass to my ears.

Same for me, I didn't like the fuzzor mods, my ears are different to the rest. :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #17,204 of 21,860
Very interesting observations guys, esp. from Jason. I can't wait to try it on the HE6s. 

Question: with the best amps and proper mods done on the HE6, does it get near the clarity of the HE1000 at all? I am returning the HE1000 but I do miss the clarity of the HE1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back