HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #15,526 of 21,860
In this patent by Bruce Thigpen of Eminent Technology, he explained the effect of the foam mod back in 2003.

As previously noted, current state of the art planar transducers utilize a uniform air load by means of perforations around the diaphragm or cloth to damp the resonance modes that result from tension. Resistive loading is accomplished by limiting the “open area” exposed to the surrounding air by means of baffles or the application of cloth, foam or other materials in close proximity to the diaphragm. This reduces a rise in resonance, but at the expense of efficiency because resistive forms of damping waste otherwise useable energy at low frequencies. These forms of resistive loading also have little or no effect on the low frequency modal behavior of a diaphragm. Equalization is then required to make up for the effects of lost output.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #15,527 of 21,860
The amp has six tubes, but I cannot tell much beyond that, Hybred, pre-amp stage, size????? It looks like an Abyss on that Womens head, hopefully not priced like one.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #15,528 of 21,860
The amp has six tubes, but I cannot tell much beyond that, Hybred, pre-amp stage, size????? It looks like an Abyss on that Womens head, hopefully not priced like one.

I think the slides/coverage on the hifiman page suggested it's hybrid, does 8W into headphones, 50W in class-A into speakers, 150W class-AB. Those boxes are huge, but then just dissipating 50W of waste heat from that much class A is no joke...

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #15,529 of 21,860
pretty rare to see people using higher end hifimans with their equivalent amplifiers from Fang since his amps are....how should I say it.... you can do better for the price.... if that amp is priced anywhere near 1500$ dollars then it would have some VERY serious competition.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #15,530 of 21,860
  pretty rare to see people using higher end hifimans with their equivalent amplifiers from Fang since his amps are....how should I say it.... you can do better for the price.... if that amp is priced anywhere near 1500$ dollars then it would have some VERY serious competition.

"A giant ball of suck" would sum it up nicely for the EF-6
wink_face.gif

HiFiMan is all about the drivers for me. The HE6 housing blows. The HE6 connectors blow. Doesn't matter to me because those drivers are divine.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #15,531 of 21,860

wink_face.gif

HiFiMan is all about the drivers for me. The HE6 housing blows. The HE6 connectors blow. Doesn't matter to me because those drivers are divine.

Honestly, maybe my standards are low or something, but I've always liked the look & feel of Hifiman headphones.    

Cups, pads, connectors, cables, grilles headband -- it all seems nice and solid and attractive enough for me.  

Granted it's no Denon AH-D7000 or Audio Technica ATH-W1000X/W3000ANV, but it does still look nice enough. Comfortable, too. I'd wear an HE-6 rather than an LCD2 any day. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #15,532 of 21,860

wink_face.gif

+1
hifiman's drivers give his headphones an edge,especially if you're planning to mod the whole headphone too 
biggrin.gif
 , they'd hit way above their price bracket.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #15,533 of 21,860
  +1
hifiman's drivers give his headphones an edge,especially if you're planning to mod the whole headphone too 
biggrin.gif
 , they'd hit way above their price bracket.

If there is a better high end "bang for the buck" headphone than a modded HE6 I would like to know about it. Fantastic value IMHO.

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #15,534 of 21,860
Hey,  

Sort of unfortunate/crazy question. A friend spilled coffee near my headphones and I see that there a couple little droplets of liquid on the grille on one of the cups of my new HE-6.  I can't tell if any liquid "got in" or not. 

How would you advise determining the extent of any potential damage or necessary cleaning?   

We're all responsible adults so I'm not panicking or worried or anything like that. My friend's a pretty cool guy and was so worried about it he ordered me a new pair already, saying he'll take the "coffee phones." I'd still like to see if these can be repaired, either by sending them to HifiMan or otherwise - we haven't tried using them since and again, don't even know for SURE that any coffee actually got into the drivers. 

All advice appreciated...

EDIT: After waiting a day and testing, it appears that no coffee did get into the drivers. Whew!  Listening to 1 channel at a time I detected nothing incorrect or unusual. Or if it did, I can confirm that small quantities of coffee have indiscernible impact on overall sound.  

My friend did say he wanted to get new headphones, though, so now he gets these functional HE-6 that smell faintly of Ethipian Yirgacheffe. Not sure if that's good or bad :)

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #15,535 of 21,860

I think the slides/coverage on the hifiman page suggested it's hybrid, does 8W into headphones, 50W in class-A into speakers, 150W class-AB. Those boxes are huge, but then just dissipating 50W of waste heat from that much class A is no joke...

My F5 generates about 100W biased in class A, it doubles as a rather expensive room heater in winter.  I'm curious to read more about the new amp but I'm not too hot on hybrid designs.  Especially curious about pricing; with the EF-6 being terminally overpriced for what it is I hope they will be more reasonable now.  If the price of the cans will be north of 2.5 kUSD AND you have to cough up heavily for a dedicated amplifier due to power requirements then I'm out, might as well buy a ticket to Japan and get myself a Stax + an electrostatic amplifier.

I'm lucky in that I don't mind the weight of the HifiMan cans but it's certainly true that you don't have to purchase them for the carrying comfort or style.  The new model looks more bling but I'm curious about the weight (and there's no arguing about looks but I abhor the boxy Abyss-like construction).

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #15,536 of 21,860
So my HE6 will probably not go on sale. Someone asked the Hifiman boss on the forum if the HE6 will fall in price because of the HE1000's introduction....

He replied that they will be discontinued.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #15,537 of 21,860
So my HE6 will probably not go on sale. Someone asked the Hifiman boss on the forum if the HE6 will fall in price because of the HE1000's introduction....

He replied that they will be discontinued.

Keep it, I am keeping mine, I regret a lot selling my D7000, it's one of a kind. 
Now that it will be discontinued, I might buy another pair :wink:

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #15,539 of 21,860
After I get the Yggdrasil , I will get the HE-6 before it's totally discounted. I have heard too many good things about them, not to get a pair.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #15,540 of 21,860
  I'll certainly keep mine. I'm not even sure that I could afford the HE-1000 anyway. 

I hope HE1000 is about the same price as Audeze LCD3/XC/X, it will be very challenging for Audezes especially they are NOT well designed(comfort-wise, IMO). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back