HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #12,406 of 21,867

Or just a fan on the heat-sink?

Yeah, you could certainly do that, but where's the fun?! 
biggrin.gif

Pfft, mineral oil submersion!

Oh, that would be interesting. Maybe make a lava lamp looking sort of thing...

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #12,407 of 21,867
Getting closer to the end of my HE-6 end game setup. Got in the SAA Endorphin hp cable, now I'm trying to choose between the First Watt F3 and J2 amps + the Aragon 8008. The 6s sounds like Stats with the F3, its the most transparent amp I've heard. Haven't had enough time with the J2 to comment.  The Aragon 8008 really showcases the HE6's fantastic bass. Having a hard time choosing between the two so I'll be comparing them with ALRAINBOW tomorrow.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #12,408 of 21,867
  Getting closer to the end of my HE-6 end game setup. Got in the SAA Endorphin hp cable, now I'm trying to choose between the First Watt F3 and J2 amps + the Aragon 8008. The 6s sounds like Stats with the F3, its the most transparent amp I've heard. Haven't had enough time with the J2 to comment.  The Aragon 8008 really showcases the HE6's fantastic bass. Having a hard time choosing between the two so I'll be comparing them with ALRAINBOW tomorrow.

popcorn.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #12,409 of 21,867
Craig the new wires e looks cool. . I did a comparison today with the krell and the wa5. For an hour . There is no doubt that the F3 did sound like the stax. With the woo it was a little brighter and less bass and with the krell it was closer to the aragon but not completely. It had more bass than the woo and less soundstage and details. Between the two irs preference . And the aragon I did not try today. . So I guess it can be played with some more tomorrow. . But the F3 does have the most detail hands down. And second is the woo.

Al

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #12,412 of 21,867
  Can't wait! Wanted to try brunk's DIY F5 but I don't have the patience to wait for one to be built.

Damn, that picture makes me drool and wish it would be mid april so that I can test this HE-6/F3/Stax analogy myself. Hearing you guys it'll be absolutely perfect for enjoying my classical music.  Looking forward to hearing your J2 comparison!  Enjoy!

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #12,414 of 21,867

I was talking to James about Hardwiring me a second pair - So I can do the Grill Mod on it.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #12,416 of 21,867

Can't wait! Wanted to try brunk's DIY F5 but I don't have the patience to wait for one to be built.

biggrin.gif
 It's entirely possible you two might get right nice and giddy... and completely forget about us! Since I can no longer tell time - got rid of my "Big Ben" last night 
rolleyes.gif
 - if we don't hear from you by sunset Saturday, I'm calling! 

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #12,417 of 21,867
Just noticed on RenoHifi that the F3 in 240V version is now marked as 'Sold out forever'.  So I guess I purchased one of the last ones available (actually it's a 120V that's being converted).  Guess this means that production and sale of the F3 by FirstWatt is coming to an end and it'll only be possible to get one via a DIY project.

BTW, they've got an M2 demo on sale at USD 1595 (120V).

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #12,418 of 21,867
  Yeah, you could certainly do that, but where's the fun?! 
biggrin.gif

Oh, that would be interesting. Maybe make a lava lamp looking sort of thing...

I'd need to find a good way to bond a glass tube to a heat sink though, as glass itself is a poor conductor. Hmm... it might just be easier to attach a lava lamp on top of a vacuum tube...

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #12,419 of 21,867
  Just noticed on RenoHifi that the F3 in 240V version is now marked as 'Sold out forever'.  So I guess I purchased one of the last ones available (actually it's a 120V that's being converted).  Guess this means that production and sale of the F3 by FirstWatt is coming to an end and it'll only be possible to get one via a DIY project.

BTW, they've got an M2 demo on sale at USD 1595 (120V).

Ooh, maybe PCBs will be openly available soon then. Another First Watt to add to my growing collection 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #12,420 of 21,867
Well this is by and far the most technical, high tech, and equipment hungry thread of all the flagship threads on hifi. Interesting.

In other news, I just got pwned so hard on my purchase of T1s for retail http://www.head-fi.org/t/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owners-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/6900#post_10317060

I'm so down. i went from eagerly anticipating my T1s to hating them. I should have gotten an HE6 + an amp.

This is really an awful hobby though. All you do is spend your time searching for better and better sound. i know eventually once I have my headphones I'll be buying amps and stuff too. it's like the siren's song in the odyssey, sort of literally, except it's not beautiful women singing its all this cool equipment. i've blown off so much work over the past few weeks too.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back