HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 22, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #1,246 of 21,867

Quote:
To be sure, the Concerto can drive HE-6 (12 o'clock was too loud for me on high gain).
(Even my Asus STX Essence soundcard can drive HE-6 from its headphone amp on mid / high gain.)
However, it becomes really musical when paired with EF5.

Hmm!  So basically EF5 > Concerto when paired with the HE-6.

And considering that the EF5 is $300 in the HE6+EF5 combo, whereas the Concerto costs $710...

Is there any solid-state alternative to the EF5 at a similarly attractive price?

Thanks

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,247 of 21,867

Quote:
Quote:
To be sure, the Concerto can drive HE-6 (12 o'clock was too loud for me on high gain).
(Even my Asus STX Essence soundcard can drive HE-6 from its headphone amp on mid / high gain.)
However, it becomes really musical when paired with EF5.

Hmm!  So basically EF5 > Concerto when paired with the HE-6.

And considering that the EF5 is $300 in the HE6+EF5 combo, whereas the Concerto costs $710...

Is there any solid-state alternative to the EF5 at a similarly attractive price?

Thanks

Nuforce HDP.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #1,248 of 21,867
So if the EF-5 powers the HE-6 fine why are they releasing a more powerful amp stating it will be designed for the HE-6? I am assuming the previous from reading the input here from different individuals. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #1,249 of 21,867
Received tracking number this morning and received the package 3 hour later
beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #1,250 of 21,867

Quote:
So if the EF-5 powers the HE-6 fine why are they releasing a more powerful amp stating it will be designed for the HE-6? I am assuming the previous from reading the input here from different individuals. 

From the posts in this thread, EF5 can deliver a Acceptable performance of HE-6, but still has long distance from shor the full potential this headphone. This is my impression of reading the inputs here and some other posts.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #1,251 of 21,867
So will the EF5 replacement be a lot better, meaning, should I return my EF5 and wait for the replacement, or is it sufficient to run my HE-6s? I like the EF5, but a little more power would be nice.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #1,252 of 21,867

Quote:
So will the EF5 replacement be a lot better, meaning, should I return my EF5 and wait for the replacement, or is it sufficient to run my HE-6s? I like the EF5, but a little more power would be nice.

You are not getting the full potential from your HE-6 with the EF-5 is the general consensus, though if you're enjoying it, maybe hold on to it and sell it for the EF-6 when the EF-6 comes out.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #1,253 of 21,867

Quote:
Quote:

You are not getting the full potential from your HE-6 with the EF-5 is the general consensus, though if you're enjoying it, maybe hold on to it and sell it for the EF-6 when the EF-6 comes out.

cool story, bro

Sorry, just had to after seeing your avatar, lol. Seriously tho, I think you are right. But going from my Bower & Wilkins P5s to the HE-6s is already blowing my mind, so I am really in no rush to buy the HE-6 to be honest.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #1,254 of 21,867
According to Fang's post in his Chinese product forum, EF-6 is designed for HE-6 and other Hard-to-drive headphones, like K1000. So I guess it would be definitely powerful than the EF5. Of course, I am not a insider, neither did I have experience with this product, this is only what I concluded from the information Fang left on internet.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #1,256 of 21,867

Quote:
According to Fang's post in his Chinese product forum, EF-6 is designed for HE-6 and other Hard-to-drive headphones, like K1000. So I guess it would be definitely powerful than the EF5. Of course, I am not a insider, neither did I have experience with this product, this is only what I concluded from the information Fang left on internet.

I don't understand why Fang didn't mention the EF6 when I bough the HE-6 and EF5 at the NY meet.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #1,257 of 21,867

Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand why Fang didn't mention the EF6 when I bough the HE-6 and EF5 at the NY meet.

It's still a while away, Q1 next year.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #1,258 of 21,867
Quote:
But going from my Bower & Wilkins P5s to the HE-6s is already blowing my mind, so I am really in no rush to buy the HE-6 to be honest.

i'm guessing that's a typo and you mean the ef6.  there is no rush.  if you're having your mind blown in the way you are using it now, then don't sweat it.

Quote:
Quote:

the ef-6 is more powerful and can swing greater current as well as more power and hence should do an even better job with these cans than the ef-5.  however it's not available yet and won't be for several more months.  Fang isn't  a mind reader and if you didn't ask about a product that's he neither had with him nor is it yet available he may have been more inclined to discuss what he is producing and showing.  i asked about the ef-6 and he responded to those queries.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #1,259 of 21,867

Quote:
Quote:
But going from my Bower & Wilkins P5s to the HE-6s is already blowing my mind, so I am really in no rush to buy the HE-6 to be honest.

i'm guessing that's a typo and you mean the ef6.  there is no rush.  if you're having your mind blown in the way you are using it now, then don't sweat it.

Quote:
Quote:

the ef-6 is more powerful and can swing greater current as well as more power and hence should do an even better job with these cans than the ef-5.  however it's not available yet and won't be for several more months.  Fang isn't  a mind reader and if you didn't ask about a product that's he neither had with him nor is it yet available he may have been more inclined to discuss what he is producing and showing.  i asked about the ef-6 and he responded to those queries.

True. I never said I was upset at Fang at not mentioning it, just that I thought it would be a great thing to mention to me. The sound of the EF5 is fine, just wish it was a tad louder. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #1,260 of 21,867

Quote:

Quote:

From what I read about the EF5, you can also roll the opamp OPA275 for OPA627 or OPA637. Its suppose to make it sound more refined.

Yes, you can use the OPA627/637 but they are single-channel opamps and will need to be mounted on a 2 to 1 adapter. If this is done, it is likely that you will need to use spacers to raise the acrylic top to allow clearance for the adapter. Small faucet washers work very well for this. This mod also requires the use of longer screws for the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back