HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #31 of 21,867

Quote:
Hopefully we will bring this dinosaur to CanJam and drive HE-6.

I would like to know how these two dinosaurs roaring.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
I think, personally, that the price difference is enough that there wouldn't be much cannibalization.  The HE-5LE are terrific for the money, and a lot more people can buy $600 headphone than a $1200 one.

Totally agree.

May 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #32 of 21,867

Quote:

There are whispers around ! , the HE-6 will not be in the HD-800 category its a contender in Orpheus category wich make it more than interesting otherwise Fang would have not pointed to the caliber of the Threshold amp.The new headphone line of HIFIMAN needs also a reference model , if its great it allows huge sales also in other cheaper models.They have put a lot of research in the last 2 years to develop this phone and its hard for a headphone addict to wait to see what they have to introduce at CANJAM , at least we will see gold drivers.

Yes, Fang gave us a big lead with that Threshold indeed, I mean, they must be a big animal to require such amping, although there are already people who connect their HE5/LE to a speaker amp, including you. About those whispers, you really seem to be on top of the thing! Anywho, it won't be too long until we get a glimpse at them.

May 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #36 of 21,867
X3

But I can't completely judge based off of speculation.  You never know if the product released might truly be a world class headphone that gets everything right :)  I will make sure to check them out at Canjam and see if they really are up to there with all other flagships (which I'm sure they will knowing Fang and his devotion)

Quote:
I can't help but agree with this.
frown.gif

May 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #37 of 21,867
Have to say I agree. Its just too fast for so many flagships and the price is just unreasonable. I wouldn't say that the he-5 sounds bad, but to me it does not match the standard of some big brand in terms of SQ, build quality or service. Certainly some of the h5le owners will be frustrated since they just got their phones after long  waiting pre-ordering, and now they might need to sell them and join the new que of pre-ordering the he6 for "pre-order price". For sure the price of these goodies will raise during the "pre-order" period, and they will be more expensive when they can be stabilized manufactured(this is the part that I don't understand). I wouldn't put that much money on these so quickly without looking around. Its great that a new highend brand rises, and I'm very proud as well, but I think this journey should be more subtle, shouldn't it? Do one thing at a time and become good at it and then move on.

How long did it take for the jump from HD 650 to hd800? or for DT880 to T1? How long should a classic headphone last to become classic? 10 years? 20 years? Certainly not 10 months.

May 22, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #38 of 21,867
Me thinks its a rush to capitalize on the ortho phase the main forums are going through lately. 

The HE-5LE is barely out of its pre-order stage and all of a sudden they have yet another flagship with audiophool jargon and a price that seems to be an attempt at making hay when the sun shines.

May 23, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #42 of 21,867

Quote:
Me thinks its a rush to capitalize on the ortho phase the main forums are going through lately. 

The HE-5LE is barely out of its pre-order stage and all of a sudden they have yet another flagship with audiophool jargon and a price that seems to be an attempt at making hay when the sun shines.

Wow Sachu, you're just petitioning your hate on a product you know nothing about. You made the same post on page 1.

May 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #43 of 21,867
just saying man..only an observation..clearly I am not alone in my viewpoint. 

Edit: there is no hate that is being directed around..just skepticism going by past records.

Know enough about orthos to know that gold which is a material that is 9 times more denser than aluminum will only add to the mass of the diaphragm. Gold is still twice as dense as copper even. This means, they will need bigger currents and more powerful magnets. To vindicate my suspicions they claim they will be using some huge power amplifier to drive them at CJ..nuf said.
I am outta this thread.

May 23, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #44 of 21,867

Quote:

Two products are released in relatively short order, one approximately twice the price of the other ($699 versus $1300-to-$1600, per the first post in this thread, the accuracy of which I'm not sure).

Regardless of what stage the HE-5LE is at, what does it matter?  Do you not realize CanJam is coming up?  For us, it's an important event, and the companies who exhibit there do occasionally try to launch products there.  Such events (like, on a much, much larger scale, CES) are good stages on which to launch products, as people (and maybe the press) are paying attention.

At CES 2009, Sennheiser launched a $1400 headphone called the HD800.  Guess what:  They also launched products priced far lower--at the same time.  Last year, they released three KLEER-using wireless full-sized headphones--at the same time.  (Yes, I'm being sarcastic to make a point.)

Companies release products close together--or at the exact same time--quite regularly.  We're not talking about two products in the same category priced the same, or near the same.  These are two entirely different price points.

As for the audiophool jargon comment:  Get your ears on them, sachu, then comment.  We have no idea at what level these headphones will perform or not--and I'm betting you weren't given the inside scoop.

May 23, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #45 of 21,867

Quote:
....To vindicate my suspicions they claim they will be using some huge power amplifier to drive them at CJ..nuf said....

You do realize you're posting in a community in which headphones are routinely plugged into far larger components for driving them than the rest of the world generally understands, right?  To this day, the best I recall hearing the K1000 was through the EAR V20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back