HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #18,211 of 21,860
  Is the WA5LE powerful enough for the HE-6 to shine, or do you need the full $6,000 WA5?

I've never tried the WA5, but the LE I tried was not powerful enough. The dealer had me try it because he was curious, and in the end we both agreed it lacked the depth and impact you'd expect.

That must have been the Old WA5 LE. The new LE has added a 4 pin XLR out with same power as WA5 (8 watts).

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5le.html

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #18,212 of 21,860

Yes absolutely it’s all subjective and I believe that the mods then done together made very good synergy for my liking. Especially now with also ohhgourami’s felt mod. I guess we want the sound to be a bit different and therefore not surprising if some people prefer stock sound while others prefer mods that leads to a bit different type of sound signatures.

I consider that the change with vegan pads there pretty obvious as it changed the tonal balance quite a bit. The change to vegan from focus pads was not better on all aspect IMO. At first I even though the vegans sounded a bit muddy. The Focus pads has bigger sound stage and a bit clearer sound. With the new grill I think I got closer to the focus pads in those regards but probable not all the way. 

I'm starting to think that maybe the Vegan Pads an Grill Mod are the way for me to go if I grab a pair 

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #18,213 of 21,860

That must have been the Old WA5 LE. The new LE has added a 4 pin XLR out with same power as WA5 (8 watts).

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5le.html

Probably.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #18,214 of 21,860
Please, recommend me a good speaker cable for HE-6. (with the necessary resistors)

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #18,218 of 21,860

There are definitely some differences right, with and without cotton. If you opt on removing the cotton with the grills on, then better mids but no soundstage difference.

For my experience

Remove cotton + stock grills = Better mids and treble energy…..but no improvement in soundstage
Remove cotton + open grills = Better soundstage mids and treble energy ……….but makes HE-6 a little thin sounding
Remove cotton + open grills + foz mod / j$ pads = Better soundstage mids and treble energy………….foz mod resolves thin sounding

together these mods makes HE-6 lively, dynamic, smoother without losing its transparency and HE-6 delightful mids

also It would be interesting to try adding cotton back while other mods are on, I did not try.

i might go with Vegan Pads, i heard that they sound better than J-money Pads. 

just bought an HE-6 and was looking to do the "remove cotton + open grill" didn't know it will make it thin sounding. Thanks for the info

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #18,219 of 21,860
To use with the Leben CS300XS tube amplifier.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #18,220 of 21,860
  i might go with Vegan Pads, i heard that they sound better than J-money Pads. 

just bought an HE-6 and was looking to do the "remove cotton + open grill" didn't know it will make it thin sounding. Thanks for the info

Check out these mods as well.

"Vegan fuzzor": http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/17190#post_11864770

Blutack: http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/17190#post_11864813

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #18,221 of 21,860
According to the factory, the McIntosh MC275, which has output transformers, does not need the 10 Ω +/- resistors across its outputs. My own experience can vouch for this but I have not tested other McIntosh tube amps.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #18,222 of 21,860
I actually meant the HE-6 !!!
If I didn't have the felt mod (or any other headphone mod doing the same thing) I would have sold it, because without the felt mod, it is too bright.

I also have to thank Lars. I just did the bass lens mod. I used an offset (toward the front) 40mm aperture in 1.2mm pure wool felt. I used glue stick to apply the 96mm felt disk directly to the driver housing (no mounting rings used) and have some leather Alpha pads mounted directly over the cups (thank you @RidleyWalker).

So, the increase in bass/mid-bass is palpable and I'm really enjoying it. However, I do not find that the overall brightness level is less. The balance is better, but I'm still trying to get the measure of it. There's no such thing as a free lunch, so I'm wondering if I've created more of a v-shape sound? I don't seem to be missing the mid range, but need more time with this.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #18,223 of 21,860
So I've finally decided to just buy the damn HE 6 already, I've heard enough positive feed back about the Ember [2.4wpc that my NFB 10ES2 should be more than enough honestly!] 

I'm going to get my self some Vegans pads, an yank out that fiber Glass crap 

any one have a link to some disassembly instructions 

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #18,224 of 21,860
  So I've finally decided to just buy the damn HE 6 already, I've heard enough positive feed back about the Ember [2.4wpc that my NFB 10ES2 should be more than enough honestly!] 

I'm going to get my self some Vegans pads, an yank out that fiber Glass crap 

any one have a link to some disassembly instructions 

Great choice! Get the cans first. The NFB 10ES2 will be loud enough probably- but you can worry about more upgrades later, this is how the hobby works. LOL

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #18,225 of 21,860
I also have to thank Lars. I just did the bass lens mod. I used an offset (toward the front) 40mm aperture in 1.2mm pure wool felt. I used glue stick to apply the 96mm felt disk directly to the driver housing (no mounting rings used) and have some leather Alpha pads mounted directly over the cups (thank you @RidleyWalker).

So, the increase in bass/mid-bass is palpable and I'm really enjoying it. However, I do not find that the overall brightness level is less. The balance is better, but I'm still trying to get the measure of it. There's no such thing as a free lunch, so I'm wondering if I've created more of a v-shape sound? I don't seem to be missing the mid range, but need more time with this.

Do you have a link to the mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back