1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
  1. punit

That must have been the Old WA5 LE. The new LE has added a 4 pin XLR out with same power as WA5 (8 watts).

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5le.html

Shini44 likes this.
  2. Mshenay Contributor
    I'm starting to think that maybe the Vegan Pads an Grill Mod are the way for me to go if I grab a pair 

3. jelt2359 Contributor
    Probably.

4. Torero
    Please, recommend me a good speaker cable for HE-6. (with the necessary resistors)

5. StryGR
    No need for resistors when amplifier is solid state and output transformerless.

6. Fink24
    Isn't that a contradiction :wink:

Solid state amps don't need resistors, tube amps do.

7. wuwhere Contributor
    There are some ss amps with output transformers, notably some McIntosh models, but there are others as well.

8. Shini44
    i might go with Vegan Pads, i heard that they sound better than J-money Pads. 

just bought an HE-6 and was looking to do the "remove cotton + open grill" didn't know it will make it thin sounding. Thanks for the info

9. Torero
    To use with the Leben CS300XS tube amplifier.

10. somestranger26
    Check out these mods as well.

"Vegan fuzzor": http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/17190#post_11864770

Blutack: http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/17190#post_11864813

Shini44 likes this.
  11. rlawli
    According to the factory, the McIntosh MC275, which has output transformers, does not need the 10 Ω +/- resistors across its outputs. My own experience can vouch for this but I have not tested other McIntosh tube amps.

12. jarnopp

I also have to thank Lars. I just did the bass lens mod. I used an offset (toward the front) 40mm aperture in 1.2mm pure wool felt. I used glue stick to apply the 96mm felt disk directly to the driver housing (no mounting rings used) and have some leather Alpha pads mounted directly over the cups (thank you @RidleyWalker).

So, the increase in bass/mid-bass is palpable and I'm really enjoying it. However, I do not find that the overall brightness level is less. The balance is better, but I'm still trying to get the measure of it. There's no such thing as a free lunch, so I'm wondering if I've created more of a v-shape sound? I don't seem to be missing the mid range, but need more time with this.

13. Mshenay Contributor
    So I've finally decided to just buy the damn HE 6 already, I've heard enough positive feed back about the Ember [2.4wpc that my NFB 10ES2 should be more than enough honestly!] 

I'm going to get my self some Vegans pads, an yank out that fiber Glass crap 

any one have a link to some disassembly instructions 

14. jelt2359 Contributor
    Great choice! Get the cans first. The NFB 10ES2 will be loud enough probably- but you can worry about more upgrades later, this is how the hobby works. LOL

15. jelt2359 Contributor
    Do you have a link to the mod?