1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
  1. Articnoise

Vegan pads transforms the sound the most of all the mods I have tried. The Vegan gives me much better image, blacker background, better and much fuller bass and last but not least lower high treble. In other word better and more organic sound. Second IMO is ohhgourami’s felt mod on the inside of the vegan pads. Made the bass a bit fuller and the overall sound more refined, especially the upper mids/lower treble. Then you have done those, then a re-grilling will provide a bit more open sound to ice the cake. 

2. Fearless1

The point I was trying to make was you don't need to heavy mod or mod the HE-6. So um...glad you prefer the stock sound, it reenforces what I was trying to say.

As far as the vegan pads, they don't "magically transform " anything. What they do offer is a bit more bass, a bit more distance from your ear to aid in seperation and fantastic distribution of the weight of the 6.

3. vc1187

I found that they offer a bit less bass.

4. ohhgourami
    You attached them with a bad seal.

5. vc1187

Maybe so, but arguably the stock pads are also attached with a bad seal and I find them to have more bass.

6. Oregonian

Pioneer Spec and Pioneer SX-1050 gave incredible results.  Paid $400 for the SX and quite a bit less for the Spec system...............though expect $2k for the Spec 1/2 combo (which should be used together).  This was out of the speaker taps...............

7. Mshenay Contributor

Well that's good to hear

I guess I get swept away with how much you guys like to Mod the Hifiman Headphones, though I'll most likely get some wood Cups made for them anyways an maybe to a 4pin XLR build into the Cup

8. jarnopp

Thanks, Oregonian, I'd like to hear some of those vintage setups. I do think the He-6s sound great from the speaker taps of my Odyssey Stratos, but I haven't pulled it out to try it without the preamp, straight from the Mojo. I still also think the Liquid Carbon is giving me 95% of what the Stratos is, with only slightly less bloom/fullness at both ends, but I'm still getting the measure of both the headphones and this amp. I may have to go further vintage back and try some tube amps. I spent too much time in the 70s listening to distortion from receivers (not of the Pioneer's quality) and I may be a bit biased against going that route. But again, I would like to hear a good sample of what they can do.

9. Tobes

I guess it's all subjective.

It seems to me that the grill mod and Vegan pad mod are somewhat circular in effect - i.e. they counteract some of the negative effects introduced by the other.
    Without having a stock headphone for comparison while doing these mods it can be hard to keep track of a point of reference.
    It's interesting to go back and read David Mahler's appraisal of the stock HE6 in his epic Battle of the flagships post. Performs decently against an impressive list, so not too bad after all.[​IMG] 

10. Mshenay Contributor
    Ugh my poor wallet.. who knows maybe I'll just bit the Bullet an save up for the M11 an the HE 6

Oh hey wasn't there a Loaner Library back in the day? Does that place still exist 

Or... I could do the NFB28, it's around  8w Into 40 Ohms, that might be JUST enough to really drive the HE 6, an total cost of owner ship at that point is pretty cheap 

11. jelt2359 Contributor

If you're going the audiogd route you probably want master 10> master11 if solely for he6.

12. bosiemoncrieff
    Is the WA5LE powerful enough for the HE-6 to shine, or do you need the full $6,000 WA5?

13. Mshenay Contributor
    ehm no I intended to use the Master 11 with everything I own q.q size is already an issue with me getting the Master 11 [I have a table I can put it on thankfully] but the M10 would be just to big 

14. jelt2359 Contributor

I've never tried the WA5, but the LE I tried was not powerful enough. The dealer had me try it because he was curious, and in the end we both agreed it lacked the depth and impact you'd expect.

15. Articnoise

Yes absolutely it’s all subjective and I believe that the mods then done together made very good synergy for my liking. Especially now with also ohhgourami’s felt mod. I guess we want the sound to be a bit different and therefore not surprising if some people prefer stock sound while others prefer mods that leads to a bit different type of sound signatures.

I consider that the change with vegan pads there pretty obvious as it changed the tonal balance quite a bit. The change to vegan from focus pads was not better on all aspect IMO. At first I even though the vegans sounded a bit muddy. The Focus pads has bigger sound stage and a bit clearer sound. With the new grill I think I got closer to the focus pads in those regards but probable not all the way.